JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry that's been your experience. I've always had a relationship before I went hunting with someone, when I first started I went with an older gentleman and we had a deal, he'd teach me the ropes and I was the cheap labor...LOL.

I think part of the issue is that I am older and moved to the mid-valley in 2016. So many of the people I meet here have been living and hunting together for their whole lives. I am viewed as an outsider.

I try to hunt for meat. But I have been unsuccessful so far in my efforts.
I try to use hunting to socialize, but have found that most, but not all, local hunters look poorly on a guy in his 30's trying to learn to hunt.

Same situation here.

The more I have learned on my own, the more people I have met that are willing to go with me...

It just takes time.

Oh, and I hunt strictly for meat.

I get out with the guys and into the woods enough that hunting isn't the he only reason I'm out there. It doesn't hurt though:p

I think part of the issue is that I am older and moved to the mid-valley in 2016. So many of the people I meet here have been living and hunting together for their whole lives. I am viewed as an outsider.
If you can find other common interests outside of hunting, build a friendship first, then they'll be more likely let you in.

I "hunt" because I like having the excuse to wander around outside aimlessly with my rifle. Never killed a thing. Shot at a couple. Had a ton of fun every year

listen here you old fart. If you need help learning the ropes I am more than willing to help. Been around guns most of my life so I am fairly well versed there. Just new to hunting. Not much to hunt where I am from.
Nothing against you, but I was hoping to go hunting with someone who knew my area and would be willing to be a hunting mentor. BTW, calling me an old fart is accurate, so I am not crotchety about it. Some on here won't be so nice!

Nothing against you, but I was hoping to go hunting with someone who knew my area and would be willing to be a hunting mentor. BTW, calling me an old fart is accurate, so I am not crotchety about it. Some on here won't be so nice!
In my opinion, if they cant take a small joke like that they probably aren't the kinda people I would wanna be around to begin with. I also take no offense. I get wanting to hunt with someone who is much more knowledgeable. Just offering a hand if you need/would like it.

In my opinion, if they cant take a small joke like that they probably aren't the kinda people I would wanna be around to begin with. I also take no offense. I get wanting to hunt with someone who is much more knowledgeable. Just offering a hand if you need/would like it.
And I appreciate the gesture! Young man, enjoy being called that while you are able, and don't think I am being condescending. It is best practice not to call people names until you both get to know each other. That's just an unspoken rule of etiquette, regardless of joking or not. I am not butthurt! Just a little surprised to be called old fart, when you don't know me.

I think a lot of hunters transition from hunting specifically for meat to trophies as they get better. They want to extend the hunt as it extends the length of time they get to be in the outdoors. You also learn more about conservation the longer you have been hunting and understand that harvesting a large bull at the end of his life can be better for the herd than harvesting a young cow or bull who hasn't had enough time to mature or contribute.

Nothing wrong with either way, as long as it isn't wasteful.

And I appreciate the gesture! Young man, enjoy being called that while you are able, and don't think I am being condescending. It is best practice not to call people names until you both get to know each other. That's just an unspoken rule of etiquette, regardless of joking or not. I am not butthurt! Just a little surprised to be called old fart, when you don't know me.

You're right, and I probably shouldnt have let it out.

Trophy hunting doesn't mean shooting a trophy animal chopping the head off and leaving the rest. I think trophy hunting is a good thing. Why wouldn't you try to shoot a big bull, buck, ram, etc? It takes skill to shoot a mature animal, your skill against a mature animal and all of its senses. I think pursuing a trophy is the reason to go hunting. There's no skill or pride to be had in killing fawns, does, etc, as it takes no skill. It's not a hunt, it's a kill. I hunt for sport, for mature animals, trophies.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews