JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unpleasantness...Yeah i hear that from all the buddies wives :D ..I guess i can mute the video and watch it so as to prevent a headache. I got lots of Weapon/Firearm connected nature i can attach..Like Name a english made firearm that was 100% designed by a Englishman and not a foreigner that was accepted into Military use. Cant be a copy of something made elsewhere.
Howsabout you show us how much you know and tell us instead?

That much is evident, but I'm waiting to hear about the English-designed military firearms that were adopted into military use, as requested here - 'Like Name a english made firearm that was 100% designed by a Englishman and not a foreigner that was accepted into Military use.'

Here's a clue, in pictures, without any accent to upset you - it's in two parts, as the list is too long for one post....

Last Edited:
Part 2 -

Howsabout you show us how much you know and tell us instead?
Too easy.. The sten..a marval of english engineering..The sterling..( Stens DD sexier Blonde cousin) Done by Mr Patchett
L85 series is partly of english design but mostly from a polish immigrant Stefan Jansen
The rest are foreign designs..Lee enfield is Paris Lee a Scottish american, Bren is Czech, Vickers is a knock off of a maxim, Webleys are S&W copies of a sort, FAL's are belgian, Mag 58's Belgian. Etc.. Could talk about Ar18's and colt copies and vast others..

Having grown up speaking four languages, and adding another four since,with a working knowledge of another three, I don't really have much of what you might call a 'British' accent, bearing in mind the complexities of the more-than-forty identifiable regional accents in England alone, let alone Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
tac,

At the risk of thread drift, is there any truth to the story that Great Britain organized troops during WWI in a manner that kept soldiers amongst others with the same or similar local dialects so that they could understand each other better? I can see that this could be a factor in the heat of combat, where a misunderstood communication (even having to repeat a sentence or a command) could be the difference between life and death.

tac,

At the risk of thread drift, is there any truth to the story that Great Britain organized troops during WWI in a manner that kept soldiers amongst others with the same or similar local dialects so that they could understand each other better? I can see that this could be a factor in the heat of combat, where a misunderstood communication (even having to repeat a sentence or a command) could be the difference between life and death.
Not exactly the case, but in the crazy inrush of volunteers to join the fight, whole local districts in the industrial areas of the UK joined up en masse. Usually called 'Pal's Battalions' you can now do a little research on them. Whole factory-loads of men of eligible age joined up together, to stay together and often die together in huge numbers.

All over UK, this was commonplace - many Welsh units were made up entirely of Welsh-speakers, and the same happened with the Highland and Lowland Scottish regiments.

As a note of just how this could affect the local population, this images show the dead in just one small town in 1915 - Grimsby -

1676494080425.png

The "Grimsby Chums" was formed by former schoolboys of Wintringham Secondary School in Grimsby. Many other schools, including some of the leading public schools, also formed battalions. Several sportsmen's battalions were formed, including three battalions of footballers: 17th and 23rd (Service) Battalions, Middlesex Regiment, and 16th (2nd Edinburgh) (Service) Battalion, Royal Scots, the last-mentioned battalion containing the entire first and reserve team players, several boardroom and staff members, and a sizable contingent of supporters of Scottish professional club Heart of Midlothian F.C.[3] Out of nearly 1,000 battalions raised during the first two years of the war, 145 Service and seventy Reserve infantry units were locally raised Pals battalions.[2] Some Pals battalions were trade/social-background linked rather than area linked, such as artists' battalions and sportsmen's battalions. Professional golfers Albert Tingey, Sr., Charles Mayo, and James Bradbeer joined Pals battalions.[1]

The 17th and 32nd Battalions, Northumberland Fusiliers were almost entirely created from the ranks of the North Eastern Railway. For members who joined the battalions, the North Eastern Railway gave some offers including; provisions for wives and dependants; to keep men's positions open; to pay their contribution to the Superannuation and Pensions and to provide accommodation for the families who were occupying company houses.[4]

Roles
While the majority of Pals units were infantry battalions, local initiatives resulted in the raising of forty-eight companies of engineers, forty-two batteries of field artillery and eleven ammunition columns,[2] drawn mainly from groups with common occupational backgrounds. The relatively high skills and educational levels of many Pals battalions meant an outflow of potential officers for commissioning elsewhere, from 1915 on.

Casualties
x-The_Preston_Pals_monument_%28geograph_5804283%29.jpg
A commemorative plaque for the Preston Pals

Many of these locally raised battalions suffered heavy casualties during the Somme offensives of 1916. A notable example was the 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington), East Lancashire Regiment, better known as the Accrington Pals. The Accrington Pals were ordered to attack Serre, the most northerly part of the main assault, on the opening day of the battle. The Accrington Pals were accompanied by Pals battalions drawn from Sheffield, Leeds, Barnsley, and Bradford.[5] Of an estimated 700 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 235 were killed and 350 wounded within the space of twenty minutes.[6] Despite repeated attempts, Serre was not taken until February 1917, at which time the German Army had evacuated to the Hindenburg Line.

And the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1914 and again in 1918 -
1676494310167.png

July 1st 1916 - the First Day of the Somme Offensive - wiped out the Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel.

So far as can be ascertained, 22 officers and 758 other ranks were directly involved in the advance.[20] Of these, all the officers and slightly under 658 other ranks became casualties.[20] Of the 780 men who went forward only about 110 survived unscathed, of whom only 68 were available for roll call the following day.[20] For all intents and purposes the Newfoundland Regiment had been wiped out, the unit as a whole having suffered a casualty rate of approximately 80%. The only unit to suffer greater casualties during the attack was the 10th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment, attacking west of Fricourt village.[21]

Last Edited:
I rather hoped that we would agree to ignore each other henceforth, then he can be as unpleasant as he likes, and I can p*ss him off by refusing to rise to his comments.
Hey, I get some entertainment value out of it! It might be like being in a Pub over there and watching a real donnybrook break out from the sidelines. And I'm learning some good stuff!

Unpleasant? Man ...you need a ice cold afternoon pint. I'm not pissed off this has been fun. So same time next month? I needed a good laugh before I drown in building chauchats.

Always interesting to hear from you tac. Between our civil war and the Brits learning about machine guns the hard way in WWI, people like George Soros must have been rubbing their hands in glee. :(

Having grown up speaking four languages, and adding another four since,with a working knowledge of another three, I don't really have much of what you might call a 'British' accent, bearing in mind the complexities of the more-than-forty identifiable regional accents in England alone, let alone Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

What truly hacks me off about comments like those we read above is the ease with which those who write them make judgement calls on strangers they will likely never meet.

Can you listen to somebody talking expertly about guns and decide that they are Lutheran, Jewish, a tree-fondler or frog-worshipping pagan? Let alone their political affinities? I admit to being quite a clever kind of a guy, but I'm darned if I can.
Well, when they call any gun I happen to own a weapon of mass destruction that has no place in civilian hands. I'm going all in on "Liberal";)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews