JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was asked recently why ARs are black. I didn't have much of an answer. Anodized parts can be of a ton of various colors. I haven't the faintest clue too why black was picked and or how it came to be.

I can explain why a blue barrel and or a carbon nitrided barrel turns a certain color when treated. Same goes with the black or gray of parkerization on most of the small parts. However I can't explain why black was picked for aluminum???
1657064761201.jpeg

Anyone have some insight?

Companies like Q go clear and it looks pretty slick. So obviously black isn't needed to anodize aluminum.
1657064810081.jpeg

Is it Something to do with ease of manufacturing? Commonly available technique?

Thanks!

Reno

Generally, black is the easiest to conceal in the dark, and it absorbs the most light. That's also why it's all flat black and not glossy. No sheen or reflections. It's a tactical advantage. Same reasons ninjas wear black, SWAT teams wear black, and tweakers that run around at night stealing the contents of your glove box wear black.
Same reason FDE is better for desert, woodland for forestry/jungle, and whites for siberian climates, etc. It's all about the environment in which they are intended to be purposed.
camo-designed-towork-everywhere-doesnt-work-anywhere-hemefulcom-except-grandmas-couch-memefulcom.png

Last Edited:
A lot of the AR's parts are parkerized (effective and inexpensive) which is black. The receivers are anodized to match and the stocks colored that way as well.

I disagree on black being easiest to conceal at night. I'd heard that many years ago and didn't believe it but decided to test. I found it alarming simple to spot anything unnaturally black even during a new moon. What blends in best at night turns out to be what blends in best during the day.

Didn't check but carbon is black and is widespread in nature. Matter of fact, we are carbon based.
My theory is sound so you don't have to check. Lol

"Carbon is a versatile element and is found in many different chemical compounds, including those found in space. Carbon is versatile because it can form single, double, and triple bonds. It can also form chains, branched chains, and rings when connected to other carbon atoms."

Didn't check but carbon is black and is widespread in nature. Matter of fact, we are carbon based.

"Carbon is a versatile element and is found in many different chemical compounds, including those found in space. Carbon is versatile because it can form single, double, and triple bonds. It can also form chains, branched chains, and rings when connected to other carbon atoms."
My wife's favorite form of carbon is crystal clear

historically, Black is the choice of non reflective finish and protection for the metal!
It's also one of the cheapest finishes to make in bulk, especially with the chemicals used at the time!

Black is the most universally tactical color that fits the most environments. If you were reaching for the top shelf at the store and your shirt hiked up enough to expose your CCW would you rather have it black or stainless?

Hollywood has been known to use stainless guns for the good guys cause they stand out better in action scenes. Miami Vice is a good example.

Lastly, in todays ever increasing anti gun political climate, its really not a good idea to be seen with a gun.

Depends on the environment. I would pick gray or olive drab over black. I'd be looking for something that blended in with my clothes or wear black jeans or a black shirt or coat with a black carry piece if I were worried about exposing it.

In general black works poorly for concealment day or night. Look how it screams "look at me!" in the picture below, and it's just as bad at night if you loo for it. I for one am happy that thieves and such like to think that black is their friend.
1657071380018.png

It seems to me that you have confused carbon with methane, LMAO!

Because at the time Stoner and Armalite were trying to sell the AR design to Mr. Strange, pizz be eternally upon him and all who ever supported him, "cheap and durable" were the watchwords of the day so that meant anodized aluminum, parkerized steel and cheap black plastic.

I was asked recently why ARs are black. I didn't have much of an answer. Anodized parts can be of a ton of various colors. I haven't the faintest clue too why black was picked and or how it came to be.

I can explain why a blue barrel and or a carbon nitrided barrel turns a certain color when treated. Same goes with the black or gray of parkerization on most of the small parts. However I can't explain why black was picked for aluminum???
View attachment 1234888

Anyone have some insight?

Companies like Q go clear and it looks pretty slick. So obviously black isn't needed to anodize aluminum.
View attachment 1234889

Is it Something to do with ease of manufacturing? Commonly available technique?

Thanks!

Reno
The darker the berry the sweeter the juice baby,lololololol. My very first fire team leader told me that, I had no fing idea what he meant lololl

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top