JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's cheapest to produce, which tends to be the answer for most things. Black is one of the worst choices for concealment in daylight as it makes the weapon's outline very visible and also absorbs more heat making the weapon quite uncomfortable to handle in hot environments.

I'm anti-rattle can as most don't follow military guidelines and end up gumming up their rails, selectors, pins, etc. and use low quality paints that make for a sticky mess.

If you want something other than black I'd order it that way from factory; even though I'm sick of it, FDE conceals better in most environments but I'd still prefer OD green.

I disagree on black being easiest to conceal at night. I'd heard that many years ago and didn't believe it but decided to test. I found it alarming simple to spot anything unnaturally black even during a new moon. What blends in best at night turns out to be what blends in best during the day.
Night-vision cameras pick up that stark black easier too. I guess, go grayscale if you're gonna be sneaky at night?

It's cheapest to produce, which tends to be the answer for most things. Black is one of the worst choices for concealment in daylight as it makes the weapon's outline very visible and also absorbs more heat making the weapon quite uncomfortable to handle in hot environments.

I'm anti-rattle can as most don't follow military guidelines and end up gumming up their rails, selectors, pins, etc. and use low quality paints that make for a sticky mess.

If you want something other than black I'd order it that way from factory; even though I'm sick of it, FDE conceals better in most environments but I'd still prefer OD green.
OD green is always a great choice!

I believe early M16s plastics were green. The metal parts were black because of the anti corrosion coatings. I rattle canned my first AR in 2016 and it's holding up great. Looks like it was painted by Ray Charles but I like it.

Most military rifles spec type III hardcoat anodizing on aluminum parts. By
far the easiest color to hardcoat anodize is black. Aluminum can be
anodized in any color of the rainbow--but it is a less durable type 1 or 2.

Night-vision cameras pick up that stark black easier too. I guess, go grayscale if you're gonna be sneaky at night?
Depends on the environment - grays are great for urban areas full of asphalt and concrete. What works during the day also works best at night, especially if lighting gets involved.

I think one of the reasons that police will use black for raids is that it gives off an authoritarian vibe to help ensure compliance by intimidation. When six guys with ski masks and machine guns bust into your house at 3 AM it's going to cross your mind that they can do whatever they want including disposing of the bodies,

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top