JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you prefer the original design of a firearm, or it's modern/upgraded counterpart?

For example, are you into milsurp, or rather have modern precision rifles? A GI 1911, or a modern take on the design? A West German Sig (I picked up one recently), or the Legion series?

I suppose it ties into why we enjoy guns/shooting. I get the impression that many gun collectors (which I realize not all gun owners are "collectors") want the newest, greatest gun designs and modifications. I feel I'm in a minority for liking the original designs of the firearms, without upgraded triggers, sights, grips, etc., even if they don't shoot as well.

I like modern guns with modern features with the exception being genuine military surplus where anything outside of as issued is a negative.

Well since this is a somewhat "regular" shooting rifle....
I think this might answer the question as to what I like.... :D
"This" by the way is an original J.Henry Flintlock Trade Rifle .58 caliber circa 1800 - 1820 .
It is the rifle I used to take the last elk I got.

Something to consider here ....
One man's upgrade is another man's useless add-on gimmick .
Just as one man's unaltered firearm is another man's outdated , obsolete firearm.

Use what you like....and what you shoot well with .

While there is nothing wrong with innovation and change...
It is unwise to dismiss what came before as useless....simply because it came before.
Andy

Last Edited:
My interest in firearms has always been eclectic and fluid. That said, particularly now, I'm certainly on the Classic side of that equation. The only things I actively shoot now are big-bore revolvers and submachine-guns; both decidedly on the Classic pattern side.

However, to each their own. Freedom to choose is a wonderful thing. :)

Last Edited:
My interests have changed over time too. 30 years ago I was all about AR's and AK's, though they were expensive and I couldn't afford one. I had to make do with my M1 Carbine and a bubba'd SKS with "duck-bill banana clips" (sorry for the offensive language there, that's what people called them). I still have the carbine, but that particular SKS is long gone, replaced by a much nicer, all original one.

Now that AR's are cheap and plentiful, and I've had my fill of AK's, I'm much more interested in shooting an old Remington Rolling Block, an M1 Garand, a classic blued-steel-and-walnut hunting rifle, or vintage S&W revolvers.

To each their own. I don't look down on or disparage anyone for the type of guns they like.

The OG stuff works for me and prefer unmolested for sure! I like the modern stuff as well but when old stuff shows up and sights are missing, and the stock is some kinda tactical nonsense it chaps my hide.

Do you prefer the original design of a firearm, or it's modern/upgraded counterpart?

For example, are you into milsurp, or rather have modern precision rifles? A GI 1911, or a modern take on the design? A West German Sig (I picked up one recently), or the Legion series?
Yes and yes.

But for the last several years classically styled firearms have been more prevalent in my choices.

I suppose it ties into why we enjoy guns/shooting. I get the impression that many gun collectors (which I realize not all gun owners are "collectors") want the newest, greatest gun designs and modifications. I feel I'm in a minority for liking the original designs of the firearms, without upgraded triggers, sights, grips, etc., even if they don't shoot as well.
Ive homed in on when the gun was made. For example, I prefer a modern 1911 but would cringe at the idea of modernizing an original GI1911. Same for rifles. I also dont mind upgrading a gun with upgrades of its same era... Im not certain how many years it takes to draw the line though as sometimes if you want to restore an older gun to be operational again you might not have original era parts available anymore.

Depends on the gun and what I got it for. With guns I get for personal protection, I lean towards modern / utilitarian. Show pieces are a different story. That being said, I'm sick of extruded aluminum handguards and wish more modern weapons were made available with classic styling. For example, I love the look of this Browning BAR, and would love to see other modern weapons with similar aesthetics.

That being said, I'm sick of extruded aluminum handguards and wish more modern weapons were made available with classic styling. For example, I love the look of this Browning BAR, and would love to see other modern weapons with similar aesthetics.
Im the same way with bolt action rifles looking more like AR15s. Id much prefer a traditional wood look and no reason one cant be made with modern features like this one.
1710819385810.png

I was never interested in any thing but walnut (well, maybe a nice piece of maple) and blued steel. Then, a former employer presented me a stainless gp100 as a Christmas bonus. I really liked that, and a couple more stainless handguns were added.
Then, gubmint started telling me what I shouldn't have, so I needed some things that were "tacticool". Sorta getting over that now, and looking more at wood and blue rimfires. The pendulum swings!😉

I will admit to owning and using several stainless guns.
I don't feel quite as guilty for the abuse they might receive.
My avatar shows me in a treestand with a wood stocked, blued Winchester Model 70. The next weekend it was rainy and cruddy. I left the Winchester home and took the stainless Ruger. It is in a nice wood stock, though.
I like rifles like these.

sighting in 257 9.30.23.jpg First time out in Boyds.jpg

My personal preference is for more traditional designs. At present, I don't own any stainless steel arms but I've had some in the past. I have one Glock which I like a lot, but I'm not interested in any other plastic pistols. Until a couple of years ago, I didn't have any long guns with black plastic stocks, save for AR's. Now I have a few shotguns and a rifle with that furniture. I'm not into the latest and greatest, just tried and true stuff that works best.

Plastic stocks aren't all that new. I've had a couple of Remington Nylon 66's, those were from circa 1959-middle 1960's. I've also had an old Savage .410 single shot with a plastic stock set, made as I recall in the late 1940's. I still prefer wood.

I have a fetish for knowing when a gun was made. I make it a point to check serial numbers, Remington barrel dates, etc. I don't know why but I do.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews