JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you think CBS got right in their report? What did they get wrong?
I actually don't believe what they said that the gun industry is what got us here. The gun industry is a result of what got us here and that is some of us still haven't forgot how we won our independence and freedom.

cbsnews.com said:
So by the 20th century gunmakers started to market their guns not just as a tool, but a feeling. "What was once needed, now had to be loved," said Haag.

their words are an attempt to vilify the gun industry as purposefully selling fear to promote sales. I do somewhat agree that people thought of guns as tools way back then but it really wasn't until the last 50 years or so that increased urban lifestyle replaced the gun with the police and 911. If it wasn't for that, gun ownership even in dense cites would still be prolific among many who now feel otherwise about gun rights. They have become complacent. Take away the police and 911 and virtually all gun control proponents all of a sudden start exercising their right.

They totally missed that millions of Americans used rifles in 2 World Wars and realized it was an instrument of freedom from an oppressor. Purposely missed that I am sure to push their agenda. Knowing the legend of the .30-06, the Garand and now the AR are some of of the reasons Americans like our guns.

Brutus Out

Gun industry didn't make the culture, the culture made the industry.

The gun really has not changed and it still is a tool and for many are used in the same manner as it was back in the founder's day. Many hunt, protect their family and are willing to defend their city, county state and country from enemies both foreign and domestic.

So how has this changed from then to now?

Back then Just like today not ever person had a gun and knew how to use it that is why the militias where not well armed. So the culture has not changed just the media that promotes the anti agenda.

They totally missed that millions of Americans used rifles in 2 World Wars and realized it was an instrument of freedom from an oppressor. Purposely missed that I am sure to push their agenda. Knowing the legend of the .30-06, the Garand and now the AR are some of of the reasons Americans like our guns.

Brutus Out
C'mon Brutus...they can't say anything good about the fact that the modern firearm liberated a race of people and stood for freedom..they want history to repeat itself not remind people of the good guns can do...

The United States of America would not exist without guns. Guns will always be A part of American History. They ARE what made OUR history. Guns still are tools. Guns make the constitution possible. Without Our Constitution, Liberty isnt possible. Without Liberty we are all helpless slaves.

+1. Sales allowed investment in manufacturing, lowering the price of guns, allowing more people to purchase them. Capitalism at its best. Creating an emotional appeal is as old as the two oldest professions, prostitution and politics. Any fool who wants to increase their sales will employ that very method.
An important part of WWII was the race of mass producing cost-effective, lethal weaponry. Years ago I was reading a historical analysis of the arms race of WWII and it mentioned that Germany's development of the Volkssturmgewehr 1-5, based on the Sturmgewehr 44, could have changed the outcome of the war had it been introduced prior to D-Day. The end result was millions of Americans returning home trained and confident of their rifle's capabilities in their own hands. Fast forward, these millions of patriots became the circle and arrow contribution to the baby boom. I think the war in Vietnam, which didn't make much sense to a lot of people, made a difference in the trajectory of America and accelerated the softening of America.
People see WWII as defeating evil. I see it first as defending freedom. Big f'ing difference.

Where I see a failure in the article is the author's quote of the book author, that "Americans have always had mixed feelings about guns," said Haag. "So for as much as the gunslingers are part of our heritage, so, too, is disquiet and discomfort with guns." There is no substantiation of this claim - it only reiterates the uneasiness that the current MSM espouses.

It's soft language for a bvllsh1t statement. Had the article quoted the author as saying something more substantive, and then supported the quote with facts about why, how many, and where - I would have given it credit. But they didn't, so I call BS.

Back when the colonies went to war with the old country, it was because they felt that they were being badly treated - they paid their taxes and were ignored.

They wrote many appealing letters.

They were ignored.

They sent representatives.

They were ignored.

They fired a few bullets at a place called Lexington. Not in the editorial page of the Lexington Daily Bugle, and made of printer's ink.

Lead ones, at the soldiers of the tyrant.

With guns.

THAT finally got some attention.

Many millions more shots were fired, and the colonies became the 'former' colonies. They wrote themselves up some basic rules, and then, almost as an afterthought, a couple of amendments.

The first mentioned the right to free speech and expression of belief in a deity, or not, your choice, but one that was deemed to be untouchable, as a G*d-given human right.

The second ensured that the former colonies, and their eventual descendants, should have the means to defend themselves against the tyranny of governments, within and without, as well as aggression in any form, by stating, unequivocally, that a militia, made of the people, should have the right to keep and bear arms. A militia, friends, is made up of people like you, your next door neighbour, and the guy across the street you wave at when you pick up your newspaper in the morning, the bus driver, the mailman, the guy who unplugs your plumbing, the guy or gal who sells you your morning coffee and Danish - the PEOPLE.

No other nation on this planet has such words in its constitution, the fact is, that many nations do not actually HAVE a written constitution.

So one of the founding tenets of the USA is that - with very few exceptions - everybody can own a gun.

To defend themselves.

To defend their loved ones.

To defend their nation.

Exactly as it should be, in the very nature of things.

tac

Last Edited:
Unless you are already reading or consuming gun related material where else do you see firearms advertisements? Modern news media only talks about Colt, Bushmaster and Glock. You mean there are other gun makers??

This article as most like it, really don't talk about or gloss over the right of ownership and give that any weight or that most of the attacks they mentioned were in defense free areas. And finally and most sad of all, where has this reported been his last 50 years on the planet? Did he really need to find an "Expert" to explain why Americans that like guns like guns? I hate it when most older male reporters pretend they've never been behind a gun sight. Either as a kid, while in the military or hunting with grandpa.

nwslopoke,
I like what you posted but ... I wonder just how many "older male reporters" have been behind a gun sight?
Many people I talk to about guns , have come to me in the first place 'cause they have never* been around guns and they know that I have. (*or a very limited exposure a long time ago.)
I am beginning to think that for many people their only contact to firearms is though media like the news , movies or video games , not from real life.

Back to the OP, it seems to me that news reporting is more and more like the well crafted spouting of someone's idea or agenda than the actual reporting of news.

The subject of "Why are guns so important to many Americans" is far to vast and important to be placed in one article.
A series of articles following the many sides of the issue would have been better.
Andy

Last Edited:

Agreed. If you are talking about the gun culture. To a degree.

It took a while for a number of manufacturers to pick up on market demands - Ruger for example. Now everybody and their dogs makes some kind of AR.

That said, it is a feedback loop; the advertisers feed into the fantasy of us all being "operators" of one kind or another and we buy into it. From the perspective of what becomes available on the market out of that, it is a good thing. From the perspective of a lot of people actually thinking they are an "operator", probably not a good thing, but mostly harmless until such time as they need to actually use a firearm in such a situation, which is not very likely.

This is just more slick propaganda. The banners are losing so they are casting around for means of attack. Here they are trying to sell the line that gun ownership is just about "feelings", i.e. the reason for owning them is trivial and thus can be dismissed. This ploy will fail just like all the rest.

The gun industry is one of the reasons guns are important?

I thought guns were important because they were a necessity for a free state. I have not once saw a commercial for the guns that I have when watching t.v. Have not seen any in newspapers. I didn't get any form of gun advertisement until I got into guns. So how would the industry advertise to someone like that? They wouldn't. There is no ground to support the notion that the gun industry made the guns important.

Guns are not important because of some company's advertising. They're not important because some cool character on t.v or a movie used them. They're important because; 1. its in the 2nd amendment that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, 2. guns are a necessity in maintaining a free state, 3. while not the goal of the 2nd amendment they do provide a way of protecting oneself. There's even more reasons but I'm not going to take up a page to type the rest.

This is just more slick propaganda. The banners are losing so they are casting around for means of attack. Here they are trying to sell the line that gun ownership is just about "feelings", i.e. the reason for owning them is trivial and thus can be dismissed. This ploy will fail just like all the rest.

I would hardly call them as losing or failing, or we wouldnt be reading this article in the news or having this discussion...

Agreed. If you are talking about the gun culture. To a degree.

It took a while for a number of manufacturers to pick up on market demands - Ruger for example. Now everybody and their dogs makes some kind of AR.

That said, it is a feedback loop; the advertisers feed into the fantasy of us all being "operators" of one kind or another and we buy into it. From the perspective of what becomes available on the market out of that, it is a good thing. From the perspective of a lot of people actually thinking they are an "operator", probably not a good thing, but mostly harmless until such time as they need to actually use a firearm in such a situation, which is not very likely.

it would be interesting for an economist to total and then subtract the overall fire arm sales, ammo and accessory sales in the US economy over the last 8-10 years. I'll bet it is mind boggling and shows a pretty substantial contribution to the health of our economy. But then why would any one want to show the industry in a positive light?:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

What changed over the years was that now some people do not own guns. In the past it seamed like at least where I grew up (right here where I am now) that EVERYONE had firearms.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top