JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I guess I was "stupid" when I ordered a case (5000 rounds) of Winchester Power Point 40 gr Hollow Point ammunition 3 or 4 years ago. I still have 7 bricks left because I continue to buy whenever I found ammo at a decent price. ( Haven't bought a lot in the last 12 months :( ) And I have not sold any, although I have given a couple of bricks of CCI Blazer ammo to my sister in law's family since they bought her husband a new Ruger SR22 pistol and they haven't been able to find any ammo for him or their 4 boys to shoot. He would love to have the opportunity to buy 2K rounds of 22 LR IF he could find it in stock at a decent price. I guess I am a "hoarder", even though I believe I was just someone who planned ahead once the current president got elected. Just don't ask me how much powder or primers I have, lest you think I am really a moron.

You misunderstand....
I'm talking about those that are buying 2K a week. These people are creating the problem, not the guys like you that buy a bulk lot every few years or so. Sorry if you thought I was singling you out, I totally wasn't.

The place where I usually buy has been pretty well stocked for weeks now. Nearly full shelves of everything except 22LR and powder. Some of the prices are higher than last year, but not by much and most of that ammo has been not been moving very fast that I can tell.

One sure thing.
Ammo wont do you a damned bit of good if you dont actively fight the anti gun laws being pushed right now.

Arent those 325 round boxes for 25 dollars the target match grade 22? thats not a bad price for that ammo if it is match grade. I bought a couple buckets of 1400 rounds for 72 dollars a bucket which i thought was a killer deal at Fred Meyers. They seem to not go as fast because everyone is looking for bricks, not buckets LOL By not as fast i mean 14 buckets lasted around 8 hours :s0112:

Even if all of the ammo manufacturers opened new plants and doubled production I don't think that you can un ring this bell. I don't think that anyone is going to take this lack of supply for granted ever again and continue to purchase everything they need whenever it's available from now on. I remember seeing full shelves stocked with bricks of .22 and walking away because I had one at home. I remember waiting for CCI minimags to go on sale before I would buy them:) 16 short months ago....

I think we are getting back to normal. Some calibers will never come back to where they were, like 5.56 and maybe .22. now as things are coming back down, they will all rise I think in the next 5 months as this is an election year and its part of the price cycle.

I don't see it getting better for at least another couple if years. If not ever.

I think a lot of new gunners out there are stocking up. That and the usuals stocking up and shooting up.

After sandy. I personally walked 3 of my coworkers through AR builds. None of them had more than a hunting rifle a box of shells and maybe an old pistol they inherited.

Now, a year has passed and all three own 1-2 AR15s a couple thousand rounds of ammo per rifle and or pistol. Not one of them has stopped buying either.

Exponential gun ownership is not good for non-exponential ammo manufacturing.

If it all goes through and if you plan to give up your arms. Other than that, ammo will do a bunch of good..... maybe even the most good

Buying more than you need or can transport is a waste too. I sometimes wonder why, when there is no way to take it all.
I physically cant efficiently pack more than about 600 rds combined 556 and 45, and 400 more 556 in bandoleers, with everything else, so where is all that rimfire going to go. Just that load will make traveling pretty slow.
I am sure if the time ever comes well figure it out, but in worst case
No way. Caches maybe, but that might be found and lost, so why ??
I ask myself that every time I look at it.
Plus those that decide to hunker down and stay put, if they need more than that, I would bet their home would be a pile of sawdust and splinters or ashes before it could be used up.
If a vehicle was usable and no clogged hi-ways, not a problem, but that is highly unlikely.

Take it? Where am i going? I prefer to stay on my own property, and that might mean needing one or two dozen armed friends and family to make sure no one really wanted to mess with us if SHTF. So 5k rounds of .308 and 10k rounds of .22 sounds just about right to me! :s0112:

tacticalwheelbarrow.jpg

Unless we happen to be homeless, then we all most likely have more belongings than we can carry on our backs if the world ends. If we leave food behind, others will find and use it. If we leave tools, the same. Firearms and ammunition are no different in this regard. However if the world doesn't end (the most likely situation we face), then ammo prices will only increase with; inflation, new laws and regulations, law suits, panic buying, bans. Having a stockpile of ammo that is more than we can carry on our backs is probably a good idea.

Take it? Where am i going? I prefer to stay on my own property, and that might mean needing one or two dozen armed friends and family to make sure no one really wanted to mess with us if SHTF. So 5k rounds of .308 and 10k rounds of .22 sounds just about right to me! :s0112:

You can never defend a wooden structure.
And you can't defend a hole in the ground.
Unless you live in a thick walled concrete structure,
it is undefendable.

Buying more than you need or can transport is a waste too. I sometimes wonder why, when there is no way to take it all.
I physically cant efficiently pack more than about 600 rds combined 556 and 45, and 400 more 556 in bandoleers, with everything else, so where is all that rimfire going to go. Just that load will make traveling pretty slow.
I am sure if the time ever comes well figure it out, but in worst case
No way. Caches maybe, but that might be found and lost, so why ??
I ask myself that every time I look at it.
Plus those that decide to hunker down and stay put, if they need more than that, I would bet their home would be a pile of sawdust and splinters or ashes before it could be used up.
If a vehicle was usable and no clogged hi-ways, not a problem, but that is highly unlikely.

Hear ya. In my mind there is no such thing as too much consumables as long as it keeps. Cache might be found but never lost unless cached by a fool. You never know who might need to be resupplied, hunkering down in a stick built house is also a short lived delusion. 600 rounds is doing good man, I know all to well what its like to pack weight through the mountains for miles on end, it gets heavy quick, even if it isn't steep just stepping over down logs all day is tougher than people think. For me 240 m855 rounds rifle and 54 pistol 9mm, move fast , hide will. Hit and run and if I live through that many rounds I will feel fortunate , find cache and refill, purify some water , check some traps and continue

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top