JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you rather eat?

• Deer

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Pig

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
my guess is he got his hands all in the scent glands and didnt use latex gloves for skinning that spot (discard or change gloves) and got it all over the meat skinning it. Im skeptical that meat stinks, typically that means its been in contact with whatever stunk... comes from gut shot deer, not gutting it quickly, not skinning it quickly, puncturing the gut/poop chute and urine sac while gutting....
No it stunk when walked up to it

Now a friend shot a buck running around with 5 does that just stunk. He said the meat stunk when cooked. He does take good care with his game and figured this guy was too rutted up.
I'm not a trophy hunter so mine have been nice young deer
I've never rut-hunted, but I was warned off applying for those tags because of that. All that testosterone makes the meat less-than-optimal when those scent glands are in overdrive.
The other deer that ain't real tasty is one that spends its life in slickleaf country on the eastern slopes of the cascades. Something about that stuff permeates the whole deer, and the taste has a hint of nasty, overdone burnt rosemary leaves.

I did shoot a young buck once and blew up his esophagus and nicked his aorta with the shot. When he took off, his stomach contents came up, and must have contaminated his blood, because every bit of meat smelled like his guts while it was being cooked. That stuff would stink up the whole house.
He only ran about 35 yds, but that was enough. Gutting him was a mess, and I rinsed out the cavity for a good 15 minutes when I got him back to town, but it wasn't enough.
90% of it ended up in the dump.
I was bummed.

red-cooked-pork.jpg

I hunt rifle deer so not in the rut. Maybe a rutted out deer can stink up its meat I dont know... Im skeptical though but I'll take your word for it.

Venison mmmmmm. I found out after making 15lbs of deer jerky that I can eat deer jerky at an unhealthy rate.
But dont make me eat a few pounds of bacon to prive im not Muslim because I will, okay wheres the bacon? No seriously now I want bacon. Extra thick cut apple wood smoked pepper bacon,:eek: oh I pee'd a little

Venison mmmmmm. I found out after making 15lbs of deer jerky that I can eat deer jerky at an unhealthy rate.
But dont make me eat a few pounds of bacon to prive im not Muslim because I will, okay wheres the bacon? No seriously now I want bacon. Extra thick cut apple wood smoked pepper bacon,:eek: oh I pee'd a little

I made 15 lbs once. Lots of pepper and lots of soy. Went on a business trip for 2 days. When I got back it was all gone. Must have been good?

Between the two - Pork all the way. If I could substitute elk for deer - elk hands down. Love a good elk steak, elk roast, elk burger, elk sausage. I love me some bacon and pulled pork and pork loin...hell I love all pork, but I'd rather eat elk. One of these days I'll have to attempt hunting one myself - I've always gotten mine via the kindness of others, but sadly I don't know any hunters anymore. Perhaps that can be my resolution this year - get my tag and try to bag an elk. Would need someone to show me the ropes though - the only animals I've ever gutted were fish, and I've not shot anything bigger than a skunk or raccoon.

Uh, didja leave some *sshole for the rest of the hunting party?:eek::D:confused:

Well, it wasn't exactly a hunting party - but when I was about 13 or 14 years old, I shot and *paralyzed* a skunk in our back yard. The day before my cousin was having her 4th or 5th birthday party. Frickin thing sprayed eeeeverything. Including my dog, who bolted out the back door as soon as I cracked it to get my shot. I shot the damned skunk, a second later my dog was on him.

After giving my pooch a bath, I had to go do cleanup duty in the back and try to minimize the smell. My old man, upon learning of what was going on, came out with his .38 snubbie and from a range of maybe 7 or 8 feet put a round in the back of the skunk's skull. When I went to do cleanup, that skunk was gonzo. No drag marks, no way it left the yard under its own power. It's still a mystery of how it left, and where it went. Best guess was a coyote hopped the fence, grabbed dinner, and hopped back out. I know the old man didn't attend to it, because that was going to be my "punishement" for shooting a skunk and not killing it.

Man, I hate skunks...

I also paralyzed a rooster once, when the neighbor's chickens escaped and began eating the veggies out of our garden. Shot it in the neck with a BB gun. o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top