JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you rather eat?

• Deer

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Pig

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
Soooooo, my question is why only the two options and they are polar options at that - domesticated pig vs wild deer?

I would say, because, BEEF is insanely priced! In our house BEEF is a luxury anymore! $5.00/lb for 15/85% burger. $6.00+ for 7-bone/Blade/chuck. Insane. For a steak we do Chuck Eye.

Chicken is, well, CHICKEN/BIRD...Dirty bird.

Lamb, I love lamb but Wifey doesn't really care for it and it's as bad as beef price wise, and greasier.

Just the name "P-O-R-K", sounds good.

I would say, because, BEEF is insanely priced! In our house BEEF is a luxury anymore! $5.00/lb for 15/85% burger. $6.00+ for 7-bone/Blade/chuck. Insane. For a steak we do Chuck Eye.

Chicken is, well, CHICKEN/BIRD...Dirty bird.

Lamb, I love lamb but Wifey doesn't really care for it and it's as bad as beef price wise, and greasier.

Just the name "P-O-R-K", sounds good.

For beef, we'll sometimes use Shy Ann Meats in Oregon City. Their beef is locally raised and tastes about 100% better than what comes from the grocery store. It's funny, their price, say on ground beef, often beats the store by about 50 cents per pound. You would expect it to be more. Yep, beef is spendy, but it doesn't feel as bad when you can get really good beef versus the supermarket meat paste ;)

Maybe I have NO taste! I judge beef by the marbling. If it's got a nice even marble to it I'm good with it! Hate to go off topic but, got to Winco and get a couple or three beef shanks and look up a recipe for braised beef shanks. Mmmmmm! $3.88/lb. Be sure to get 'em with some marrow in the bone!

Growing up in Klamath Falls in the 60's, we didn't know it at the time, but were really spoiled by getting only locally-raised and aged beef. Our dad would get together with some friends and they would split a half cow and have it custom-cut.

Since then it seems that the producers are skipping the aging process completely, so most store-bought steaks and roasts are as tough as a leather motorcycle jacket.

Now, a traditionally "budget cut" beef brisket has become $50 for a chunk barely large enough to bother to BBQ.

These insane prices are stuck on tough, nearly inedible cuts, so buying them is an exercise in frustration. Don't know where the prime cuts of aged beef have gone, but it sure isn't to any of the normal grocery stores around here.

It's like the people have forgotten -or never have known -what good quality beef is supposed to be like.

I order a half beef every year from a local rancher. Comes out to about $3.85 cut and wrapped.

As far as I'm concerned, pork chops, pork ribs, etc is garbage meat. I never buy it. The only pork I eat is ham, sausage and bacon. The meats that you have to put all kinds of crap in to make taste good. So it could be cardboard really and still be good.

Just the meat on its own merit, probably beef overall (with the exception of venison backstrap) if we include that as an option with venison and elk second followed by lamb, fowl and pork towards the bottom.

Now, a traditionally "budget cut" beef brisket has become $50 for a chunk barely large enough to bother to BBQ.

Amen!

I remember when brisket was less then 80¢/lb and streaks and roasts were in the $3-4 range.

Then one year my $28 full strip with both layers went up too $80!!! AND I still have to slow cook it for 12 hours so wth??? This isn't ribeye we are talking about:mad:

I had some back strap from a deer sauteed in mushrooms and onions I dont believe I have had meet that good in a long time. It had been too long. since I had venison.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top