JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you rather eat?

• Deer

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Pig

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
Pork tastes much better to me as a meat but I much prefer venison for jerky. Unfortunately we don't have a feral hog population here so deer it is in hunting season.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekfill.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F01%2FNot-NEARLY-enough-bacon.jpg

A few weeks ago Winco had prime rib $5/lb. They usually do that time of year. Excellent stuff!
Deer or pig. Most all of the best sausages, cured or otherwise are pork. Just go into a German deli and sample some.. and have you ever had Prosciutto?.. one of the many specialty ways to cure ham. I'll take pork.

Since bacon is not specifically mentioned in Deuteronomy - ie 'of the baconimal shalt THOU not EAT, all thy days, THAT they be shortened thereby'...kind of thing...I feel quite comfortable about eating it.

But I draw the line at shellfish of any kind.

tac

Pig. I haven't tasted White Tail or Black Tail, but I grew up with Mule Deer on the table. And we'd gut them, bleed them out as best we could right where they dropped. And skin them as soon as we got back to camp. They were hung for a week in a cool room and then butchered. I couldn't stand the taste of it. Still can't. Salami and jerky are good, though.

People that don't like venison didn't have venison that was cared for correctly after it was shot.
true. Ive seen this personally I'm actually surprised how many "experienced" hunters are out there that don't know how to gut, field dress and care for the animal after its down. Venison is not "gamey" IMO...

Now a friend shot a buck running around with 5 does that just stunk. He said the meat stunk when cooked. He does take good care with his game and figured this guy was too rutted up.
I'm not a trophy hunter so mine have been nice young deer

Now a friend shot a buck running around with 5 does that just stunk. He said the meat stunk when cooked. He does take good care with his game and figured this guy was too rutted up.
I'm not a trophy hunter so mine have been nice young deer

my guess is he got his hands all in the scent glands and didnt use latex gloves for skinning that spot (discard or change gloves) and got it all over the meat skinning it. Im skeptical that meat stinks, typically that means its been in contact with whatever stunk... comes from gut shot deer, not gutting it quickly, not skinning it quickly, puncturing the gut/poop chute and urine sac while gutting....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top