JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you keep?

• Marlin Model 60

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • SKS

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Last year my grandfather passed away and left 2 rifles. A Marlin Model 60 which he purchased from Kmart in the 70s and still has the receipt to go with it. It's been used but still in good shape. And a Chinese SKS all numbers matching and in mint condition compared to most i have seen. According to an uncle it was purchased from a catalog in the 70s/80s. I will get to keep one and the other will go to my bother in law who is out of the area. I have first pick. I did not know he owned either of these so I am not drawn to one more than the other. Curious, if you were presented the same choice which would you pick?

20200823_200658.jpg

Last year my grandfather passed away and left 2 rifles. A Marlin Model 60 which he purchased from Kmart in the 70s and still has the receipt to go with it. It's been used but still in good shape. And a Chinese SKS all numbers matching and in mint condition compared to most i have seen. According to an uncle it was purchased from a catalog in the 70s/80s. I will get to keep one and the other will go to my bother in law who is out of the area. I have first pick. I did not know he owned either of these so I am not drawn to one more than the other. Curious, if you were presented the same choice which would you pick?

View attachment 743186
Glad these were kept for your family. The SKS is very nice but I'd vote for the Marlin. What a great heirloom for you :D

I have been shot at by SKS carbines. I'd keep it. The ammo is plentiful and they are quite popular with certain crowds. They are also accurate unless you are shooting at a 19 year old Marine that can run 30 MPH through a rice paddy.

Super neat posting! As a shooter, I enjoy the SKS myself. If I had little ones that I would want to teach with grandpa's rifle, the Marlin would be my pick.

Now being that I am a sentimental fool....I would try to pick the one most handled or favored by the man who owned them. That there would give me the best return for my choosing.

I'm a 22 guy so I'm always gonna go with that Marlin, a classic tube-fed semi-auto.

Do you already have your defense rifles taken care of? If not, maybe the SKS could be helpful. But merely for fun, I'd go 22. It is also a rifle you'd be more apt to pass down to a kid of yours.

Sorry to hear of your loss. (Indeed, 2020 has not be pleasant for many. :()

Of the two, I suppose I'd hang on to the Simonov as .22s don't do anything personally. But to each their own.

View attachment 743186
For me, it would depend on what else was already in the gun safe. If I already had an AR-15 or an AK variant, I would for sure go with the classic .22LR, especially the older one with the longer barrel.

My bias is probably showing because I'm a Simonov fanatic, but I'd keep the SKS. I owned a Marlin Model 60 in my youth though, and it was a great rifle, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

Again, sorry for your loss, but the gain might be worth it. My pick would be the 22 if I did not have one. Especially if I had a child or grandchild to learn them about shooting and safety. I do not own a SKS a AK, or a AR. didn't like them in Nam and do not like them now. I carried a M-79 thump gun and a 45.
My favorite is the Ruger mini 14 in just about any caliber.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top