JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry if this has been asked multiple times.
But i am trying to decide between the lee precision classic 4 hole turret press deluxe kit or the RCBS Turret deluxe reloading press kit?
The lee is 200$ on midway and the RCBS is 439.
Is the rcbs really worth the extra 240$ and what all would you suggest i also get to start reloading? Thanks! Putting together my xmas list so my wife can start saving up ;D

Nothing wrong with a turret press, but my recommendation for a beginner was going to be an RCBS Rock chucker single stage press

The only "turret" press that auto advances is the LEE. You can take out the operating rod (takes about one second) and make the lee a single stage if you wish. All the others are essentially single stage "C" (read flexy) type presses with the lee being an "O" type press.. like a Rockchucker or whatever.

If your future reloading plans warrant a progressive press of some sort, I will always beat the drum for a Dillon 550B. You can use it as a single-stage for starters if you want and have the progressive when you are ready for it. It isn't auto-index but I have found that to be a very minimal downside and an occasional plus, like when you make an error and need to fix it. If you buy a single-stage now, it will just sit in the corner collecting dust once you upgrade. Or buy the Rockchucker and when you upgrade with a piggyback you will have spent more than the Dillon costs.

My :s0159: and worth what you paid for it.:)

i started with a dillon 550 as well and while i have a 650 i use now i still use the 550 for test loads or just to deprime and size my .223 and 308. I'm not a old hand at reloading tho i have only ben doing it for just about two years now.

i started with a dillon 550 as well and while i have a 650 i use now i still use the 550 for test loads or just to deprime and size my .223 and 308. I'm not a old hand at reloading tho i have only ben doing it for just about two years now.
So you'd get the RCBS or the LEE?

I still have three single stage presses that I started on years ago. Even tho I have moved on to faster machines, Don't think you will ever outgrow a good single stage press! I have one setup to de prime brass before it's cleaned, and another that I resize bullets on.
I started with an old Herters press, and then found a Lee anniversary kit at a garage sale. At some point I added a RCBS Reloader jr. I used those for about 15 years before I wanted to load enough to make a progressive necessary. I tried a couple before I got a Dillion! It is the only one that I could just feed the hoppers and pull the handle!
If I had to start again Id probably start with a Lee kit. If you decide you like reloading all the tools are still useful. If you find that it's "Mind Numbingly" boring, you are only out $150 or so.

For me it has become another hobby altogether!

PNWPrepper
It depends on what you are loading and how much you shoot. I have the RCBS Rockchucker single stage and a Lee Classic 4 hole turret. If you get to west Portland you can test drive both on my loading bench. Nothin like hands on.

I guess another question i should ask then would be are the savings worth it? Sounds like i should get the lee as i would greatly appreciate the auto index. But, as of righy now i am only shooting 223 and 9mm which are both inexpensive already. With thw 223 i feel like its cheaper to just buy cheap wolf or pmc ammo for plinking and rifle classes. But i also want to start getting some heavier bullets to throw down range like some 69 and 75 grain rounds. And i would see cost savings there, i just dont kniw how often i wpuld shoot those. Should i wait to get something like a 308 and reload that? Or should i get into it now? It is something that i have been wanting to learn for a while now.

I agree with USMC-03. Buy a good used single stage press to start with. I started with a Lyman Spar-t single stage I bought thirty five years ago for $15 and still use it. As mentioned, you can allows find a dedicated function for it in the future or resale it and put the money toward something faster if needed.

There is nothing wrong with the Lee presses as far as function. They will work just fine. Now, will they last like as a cast iron Lyman, RCBS, Redding, etc.? Iron and steel verses aluminum, no they will not. But they offer good value and if you want to start with new that would in my opinion, would be a good place to start.

My vote goes for a good single stage press. Simple to operate, usually feel more sturdy, and you can get a good quality single stage press for a better price. The Rock Chuckers are great. I started out with a lee single stage press a couple years ago and the "quick change" collet stripped out and became a pain to get dies in and out of. The only Lee products I trust anymore are dies.

.There is nothing wrong with the Lee presses as far as function. They will work just fine. Now, will they last like as a cast iron Lyman, RCBS, Redding, etc.? Iron and steel verses aluminum, no they will not. But they offer good value and if you want to start with new that would in my opinion, would be a good place to start.
Most all of Lee presses are cast iron, same as RCBS. They do make some high quality alloy presses though, same as RCBS.

No matter what you decide on, it is going to cost a lot more than you think to get started, buying the press is just the beginning.
RCBS Rock Chucker is a solid single stage press to learn the reloading process and to decide if you even like reloading because it can be a time consuming hobby.
Dillon 550 has a great reputation but it is going to cost a lot more to get yourself set-up, however, once you own the components and have the necessary skills, you can reload quite a bit faster compared to a single stage.

I'm biased.

I own Lee and I recommend starting with Lee.

Why?

It's cheap. It's reliable and it allows you to make MORE ammo without dumping 3-4x as much on a press that does the same thing.

I have three Lee presses. A single stage, a 4 hole turret and a full Lee progressive.

The equipment doesn't make the ammo, the guy behind it does. Take your time, don't bury yourself in equipment thinking it's going to make better munitions. Find somebody local who will tutor hands on and get going.

A Lee classic cast turret is all steel construction. You can do one stage at a time until you are confident. Once confident you can make about 250 rounds/hr on a turret press.

But don't worry, everyone who has spent 5x as much as me still makes the same accurate ammo, I can just buy more components with the leftover money.

I guess another question i should ask then would be are the savings worth it? Sounds like i should get the lee as i would greatly appreciate the auto index. But, as of righy now i am only shooting 223 and 9mm which are both inexpensive already. With thw 223 i feel like its cheaper to just buy cheap wolf or pmc ammo for plinking and rifle classes. But i also want to start getting some heavier bullets to throw down range like some 69 and 75 grain rounds. And i would see cost savings there, i just dont kniw how often i wpuld shoot those. Should i wait to get something like a 308 and reload that? Or should i get into it now? It is something that i have been wanting to learn for a while now.

I can switch from 9mm to .223 on my turret press in 15 seconds or so.

I reload 9mm @ $.11 each.
I reload .223 @ $.22-24 on bulk, $28 for premium Vmax.

After reloading 2,000 9mm and 500 .223 I've paid for the press with money saved.

Because I set up each turret head individually, it's $100 per head (dies, head, powder drop etc.). My press: $120 as the cast turret. It's rock solid and HEAVY for being so small.

You're too far away otherwise the door would be open for you to see the simplicity of the turret press going from single stage to full turret auto indexing.

Really... I sometimes don't make many friends because I believe in what works, not what's most expensive. Plenty of people have 10's of thousands of rounds on Lee Presses and they are still going strong.

If you have any direct questions feel free to message me, I'll assist best I can. There are a few members on here who have taken me up on that to get their feet wet

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top