JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm with Dyjital
A few years back I started shooting a lot more pistol and 556 so I figured a turret would be a good step up. Last year I thought I'd move to a progressive for more speed...then realized I could easily load 300/hr with the classic turret. But I have made many little tweaks and enhancements. I always use the lee factory crimp die in the 4th position. Then I spent the money on used turrets and powder measures (with some patient shopping). Now I have 5 die sets and 5 powder measures pre-adjusted in turrets ...I realized the set up time for each cartridge is huge. I am sold on Lee equipment and especially like the 4 die carbide pistol and rifle collect dies. I've also loaded 1000's of ammo rounds on a 550. Blue is better but I'm not shooting 500 rounds a week and the Lee equipment allows me to spend $$ on more guns and components. The offer stands, if you want to see a classic turret in action first hand.

A few words about Lee.

My first, and still primary, press is an old Lee three hole turret. It works well and I have several turret plates with dies permanently set in them so I can change calibers quickly. The Lee auto-prime is a great tool.

Overall Lee's tools are generally mediocre quality, but my experience with its customer service is outstanding. I've called to ask how to order a part and it was in the mail the next day; "just sent a check as soon as you can ".

Get a single stage press and use it until you understand the process and what every step feels like. Learning to hand load is about quality and safety, not being able to produce 500 rounds an hour. I just got a couple of Dillon machines after using a single stage for 40 some years. They are awesome, but I will still load my hunting ammo one at a time. Yes you can do that on a progressive, but I wouldn't advise it as a way to learn. Reloading is not unlike learning to handle a gun and shoot. A single shot .22 fits the bill best.

I guess another question i should ask then would be are the savings worth it? Sounds like i should get the lee as i would greatly appreciate the auto index. But, as of righy now i am only shooting 223 and 9mm which are both inexpensive already. With thw 223 i feel like its cheaper to just buy cheap wolf or pmc ammo for plinking and rifle classes. But i also want to start getting some heavier bullets to throw down range like some 69 and 75 grain rounds. And i would see cost savings there, i just dont kniw how often i wpuld shoot those. Should i wait to get something like a 308 and reload that? Or should i get into it now? It is something that i have been wanting to learn for a while now.

Savings? What savings? I would say savings don't come into play for several thousands of rounds. To save you need to find deals, on projectiles by the thousand, or case of several thousand. Deals on powder, 4#-8#. Deals on brass, free or 1-2 times fired brass. Deals on primers, by the thousand. Then there's your time? If you have a lot of it then time's cheap. So look way out there....You see it? If you shoot several thousand rounds a year, there's savings out there!

I started with the RCBS supreme Master kit. RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit I liked the idea of new there, and bought used tumbler, Harbor Freight calipers, etc. Personally, I find the entire process of hand loading relaxing and satisfying. Everything done in stages, starting with putting bras in the tumbler. Whenever I get to it the brass comes in the house to eventually be sized and de capped. Then trimmed if needed. The final step is bringing it to the bench to be primed and then loaded. I get immense satisfaction putting that finished round in the box. After all that time passes during preparation it's like that ammo is FREE! With the amount I shoot I doubt that I'd ever use a progressive. That would take half the fun out of it! :D

Regardless of wether you go single-stage or progressive, you should think about getting a second single-stage as a back-up or for special tasks. There are some great older presses on the used market. I found this old Pacific Super Delux for $10. I just had a to replace a pivot pin and clean it up a little. It's built like a tank, and silky smooth... They didn't cut corners back in the day. I like it so much that I'm using it more than my newer RCBS. IMG_2333.JPG IMG_2334.JPG

Either brand will work. Have a buddy with a RCBS turret, he's loaded tens of thousands on his: 45, 9mm, 223, & 308. Two years ago he bought a Hornady LnL, and uses both for his loadings.

Lee is a much maligned brand. There is no question they appear cheesy compared to other brands. Still, it works well. It's the monkey that pulls the lever that makes the difference.
Lots of advice recommending you start with a single stage. If you understand mechanics and physics well, ignore all that and go for the turret or a full blown progressive. If you're loading 9mm (or 223 for that matter) on a single stage, you'll give up in a while because of the stupid amount of time it takes to load rounds.

I started with a Lee Loadmaster progressive (used to design and build robots in my job). Found it easy to understand and use.
Have 1 RCBS Jr, 1 RCBS RCII, 1 Lee Classic Cast Single Stage, and 1 Hornady LnL progressive. I use them all.
Each one has it's positives. For example:
  • RCBS Jr : Silky smooth, built like a tank, has a shorter throw so perfect for Short Action loads like 308 and 7mm-08
  • RCBS RC-2 : Longer throw, can switch handle to either side (I do swap sides on occasion)
  • Lee Classic Cast : friggin' tank. The primer dump tube is the best of these three. Always drops into the can. The two RCBSs are a mess in comparison. It has the longest throw of all my presses, and use it for the long cases like 338 Lapua, 300 RUM, etc.

I guess another question i should ask then would be are the savings worth it? Sounds like i should get the lee as i would greatly appreciate the auto index. But, as of righy now i am only shooting 223 and 9mm which are both inexpensive already. With thw 223 i feel like its cheaper to just buy cheap wolf or pmc ammo for plinking and rifle classes. But i also want to start getting some heavier bullets to throw down range like some 69 and 75 grain rounds. And i would see cost savings there, i just dont kniw how often i wpuld shoot those. Should i wait to get something like a 308 and reload that? Or should i get into it now? It is something that i have been wanting to learn for a while now.

If you shoot a lot and reload, you save a crap ton. However, with the press, you'll think of your ammo as cheap and shoot a lot more than if you bought the boxes. DO NOT include the value of your time in the calculation of reloading costs. If you do, loading your own is a ridiculous prospect.

To give you an example of savings, just before heading out for summer vacation with my kids, I loaded 1,000 .223 77gr at 21¢ apiece. This load works beautifully in my rifle. Considering I haven't seen these for less than 80¢ apiece, I saved $590. Switched my dies (5 minutes) and then loaded 500 6.8 SPC @ 25¢ apiece (got a screaming deal on 130 gr Speer bullets). Savings of approx 25¢ each, or $125.
If I am lucky, I will have shot through all of that by Thanksgiving. If I bought production ammo, I would shoot 1/2-1/3 that (the cost of the components).
There's also comfort in the knowledge that if I needed it badly (i.e. SHTF where I have a little time to bug out), I can load 1K rounds in 3 hours if I'm average speed. When there's a rush on ammo, try to find that stuff.

I load 9mm more than anything else, that's pretty much all the wife shoots. Maybe .40 is next. Those calibers make you appreciate loading .38/.357, .45, any thing with more to hold onto. But it's a good exercise for "Digital Dexterity" . :)

I suggest an RCBS or Redding kit with a single stage press. You get a lot of stuff for under $300 (on sale of course), and only need to add a few items like a decent caliper, dies and maybe a powder trickle.

I suggest this because you minimize costs on a hobby you may or may not like. Reloading is tedious work. If you like to knit or crochet, you will love reloading. If you don't like repetitive tasks...and I mean repetitive even on a progressive press, you will not like it. If you do like it and want to speed things up, then the Dillon is probably the best way to go. I've only helped a guy load on a Dillon...don't own one myself, but I was more impressed with that setup than any of the other choices.

I like Lee pistol reloading dies, but most other things Lee I don't really like. Looks and feels cheap, although I suspect it will work just fine. A press is really a life long investment and the extra money you spend on better stuff now is amortized out over the life of the item and it is like a few bucks extra per year.

I suggest an RCBS or Redding kit with a single stage press. You get a lot of stuff for under $300 (on sale of course), and only need to add a few items like a decent caliper, dies and maybe a powder trickle.

I suggest this because you minimize costs on a hobby you may or may not like. Reloading is tedious work. If you like to knit or crochet, you will love reloading. If you don't like repetitive tasks...and I mean repetitive even on a progressive press, you will not like it. If you do like it and want to speed things up, then the Dillon is probably the best way to go. I've only helped a guy load on a Dillon...don't own one myself, but I was more impressed with that setup than any of the other choices.

I like Lee pistol reloading dies, but most other things Lee I don't really like. Looks and feels cheap, although I suspect it will work just fine. A press is really a life long investment and the extra money you spend on better stuff now is amortized out over the life of the item and it is like a few bucks extra per year.
RCBS and Redding....can't go wrong with either.
If I had to pick one, it would be Redding.

A few words about Lee.

My first, and still primary, press is an old Lee three hole turret. It works well and I have several turret plates with dies permanently set in them so I can change calibers quickly. The Lee auto-prime is a great tool.

Overall Lee's tools are generally mediocre quality, but my experience with its customer service is outstanding. I've called to ask how to order a part and it was in the mail the next day; "just sent a check as soon as you can ".

I agree with the mediocre quality comment regarding Lee. And I have to say my experience with RCBS customer service was very similar, except they sent the needed parts for free. Both times, in the roughly 36 years I have been using my Rockchucker. I also can recommend the Dillon RL-550B. Been running one for 25 or 30 years, but for the beginning handloader, the single stage press is the best option, in my opinion. Get yourself an RCBS Rockchucker, and your kid's kids can also learn on it after you are gone.

Like 2ndtimer I have been using my RCBS Rockchucker for around 36 years. I have no idea about their customer service as I have never needed it. It just keeps on working.

After working on computers all day/week I rather enjoy my reloading "HOBBY". I have no idea what I am saving as I have never bothered to worry about it. I enjoy it as a hobby. Crank up the tunes and the hours just disappear.

I inherited my fathers Rockchucker. Its sitting in a closet in the hopes that my son or son-in-law will take an interest in reloading some day.

The best advice I see here is to go to someones house and check out the reloading process on their equipment. Then go try someone elses, etc...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top