JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Caliber?

• .300 Winchester Magnum

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • .308 Winchester

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • 7mm-08 Remington

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .30-06 Springfield

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • 7mm Remington Magnum

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • .338 Lapua Magnum

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

At the risk of sounding like a liberal [shibber], why would you want to shoot a bear at 600 yards?

tac
How many chances at a true trophy bruin does one get in a lifetime? Especially if you live outside of Alaska and NW Canada?
You may not want to, it may not be your or my ideal, but it may be the only opportunity you get.

I've commented on the 600 yard shot for a bear earlier in this thread .
Trophy or not , only shot you can get or not ... 600 yards is a long ways away , even if you practice such shots often.
Bullets do weird enough things at close distances ... I would not chance a shot at a game animal at that range.

But that is me...And I would be fine with going home empty handed.
I owe it to the animal hunted to give it a quick clean death.
I have not shot at such distances for a very long time and have no means of practicing that style of shooting now.
Andy

Last Edited:
I've commented on the 600 yard shot for a bear earlier in this thread .
Trophy or not , only shot you can get or not ... 600 yards is a long ways away , even if you practice such shots often.
Bullets do weird enough things at close distances ... I would not chance a shot at a game animal at that range.

But that is me...And I would be fine with going home empty handed.
I owe it to the animal hunted to give it a quick clean death.
I have not shot at such distances for a very long time and have no means of practicing that style of shooting now.
Andy
"A man's got to know his limitations" ---> Dirty Harry

There was a time I wouldn't have hesitated.
But now I wouldn't even consider applying for the tag!

Well, the Remington Model 700 ADL has been discontinued for new sales for quite some time now. So to buy one, you would need to purchase a used rifle.

I am confident that no factory Remington rifle has ever been chambered in 338 Lapua. And the ADL certainly has never been made available in 6.5mm Creedmoor. You would tus have to have a gunsmith rebarrel a used gun to shoot 6.5mm Creedmoor, in order to get that caliber in an ADL.
I agree that Remington doesn't make them anymore but they are still available brand new. Many companies such as Cabela's bought them in massive amounts and you can get one at Cabela's for $450 with a cheap scope on it.

At the risk of sounding like a chicken in the blanket, I think that shooting a bear at 600 yards is unsporting.

I'm happy to be shot down in flames for this comment, but hell, I live 5500 miles away, and distance makes me flameproof.

tac, moose-shooter at 65 yards

At the risk of sounding like a chicken in the blanket, I think that shooting a bear at 600 yards is unsporting.

I'm happy to be shot down in flames for this comment, but hell, I live 5500 miles away, and distance makes me flameproof.

I'm with you. But, I do not think i'd try to shoot dangerous game or much of anything outside of 200 years just for the welfare of the animal and my guilt if something went wrong. Just my preference. Sure, you can shoot at 300-500 yards, but you still have hike down there to find out if the animal was hit. And, what if the animal was wounded at that range. And, wondered off???

Yeah, that's kinda my thought, too.
I get taking the long long shot because it's your best opportunity, but in my mind, you're hunting.
More specifically, you're the hunter.
You track down your quarry and put yourself in an advantageous position to get a good shot.
Yeah, that "advantageous position" might be across a canyon, but sometimes I think some people just walk out and go, "there it is!", and its a dot on the horizon....and they take that shot instead of trying to get into a better position.
.....JMHO.

Dean

I agree %100 with you. To be clear, I am not planning on doing that as I have no wish to smell a grizzly's breath, especially a pissed off one. That was an exaggeration and the most I would feel comfortable would be 300. I want to be able to shoot 600 with confidence so I know that if I need to take another shot (which I sure hope I don't) I would have the ability to put another chunk of lead through the lungs to put it down.

F.Y.I. @tac you sure as hell won't get shot down on one of my threads. Your opinion is always welcome. Don't forget, I can always buy a plane ticket so 5500 miles could be gone in no time. :p:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews