JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Caliber?

• .300 Winchester Magnum

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • .308 Winchester

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • 7mm-08 Remington

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .30-06 Springfield

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • 7mm Remington Magnum

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • .338 Lapua Magnum

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
1.5x sees through the brush better at the shorter distances encountered there.

I disagree with this, too. Especially with the minute difference between quoted magnifications. Hunting the Cascades I am well aware of what it's like to hunt in dense brush or timber. I can/do shoot with both eyes open at 3x.
The problem with high magnification is the limiting of field of view. Having a wide field of view is the highlight of using a lower power scope and allows for quicker target acquisition, but not all scopes are created equal. Some will be better than others.

Please people, I've done the research.
I grew up hunting in the dense brush of Tahuya.
1x is a bit weak, but 2-2.5x is just too tight, when you're trying to ID that "thing" in the brush in front of you.
I will expand my choice to 1.5x-1.75x.
If you choose not to believe me, that's your choice, but I stand by my recommendation.

Dean

Luckily for me I do my research on what gun I want before I go into the store to buy it and am set (very) on what I want.

You have left out the most important information here in this this thread: What is your background and experience in both rifle shooting and hunting?

Have you done any rifle hunting? Either big game, or small game?

What rifles, if any, do you currently own? If you currently own one or more, it would be good to purchase a rifle that would compliment their abilities, instead of being redundant.

How much experience do you have shooting a rifle? If you are buying your very first rifle, then a rimfire rifle would probably be the best starter rifle for you to begin with. It would be inexpensive to shoot a lot, so that you could hone your marksmanship skills. And you could hunt small game with it, to gain hunting experience.

I would say that it is basically impossible for anyone to make any meaningful suggestion or recommendation to you, without knowing anything at all about you, or what guns you may already own.

Please people, I've done the research.
I grew up hunting in the dense brush of Tahuya.
1x is a bit weak, but 2-2.5x is just too tight, when you're trying to ID that "thing" in the brush in front of you.
I will expand my choice to 1.5x-1.75x.
If you choose not to believe me, that's your choice, but I stand by my recommendation.

Dean
Many many moons ago, before I learned to shoot with both eyes open, I might have agreed with you.
But you're not the only one that's hunted in heavy brush.
And everyone that has knows what it's like to see nothing but a patch of hair or a bushy branch that fills your scope when it's adjusted to too high of a power.
The plum brush of S. Central Oregon is as thick as it gets, and with both eyes open, it's not a problem at 2x.
So 2x isn't too much when you know how to do it.
And I know that, 'cuz I've done it.

You have left out the most important information here in this this thread: What is your background and experience in both rifle shooting and hunting?

Have you done any rifle hunting? Either big game, or small game?

What rifles, if any, do you currently own? If you currently own one or more, it would be good to purchase a rifle that would compliment their abilities, instead of being redundant.

How much experience do you have shooting a rifle? If you are buying your very first rifle, then a rimfire rifle would probably be the best starter rifle for you to begin with. It would be inexpensive to shoot a lot, so that you could hone your marksmanship skills. And you could hunt small game with it, to gain hunting experience.

I would say that it is basically impossible for anyone to make any meaningful suggestion or recommendation to you, without knowing anything at all about you, or what guns you may already own.

I have done a lot of shooting and hunting. 2 of my uncles are serious hunters and I have gone out with them hunting. I mainly bowhunt but do hunt small game on the ranch my aunt and uncle work on with a ranch supplied gun but am just getting into firearm hunting big game so I am new to the firearm side of things. I don't currently own a firearm (sold them off to start new with better choices). I have been shooting since I was little and have shot my dad's old Winchester model 70 .300 win mag when we visit the friend who has is now. I have also shot Ar-15s and Ar-10s and pretty much every caliber from .22 short up to .338 Lapua. I am mainly asking for advice on the caliber as I have already decided to purchase the Remington model 700 ADL.

I have done a lot of shooting and hunting. 2 of my uncles are serious hunters and I have gone out with them hunting. I mainly bowhunt but do hunt small game on the ranch my aunt and uncle work on with a ranch supplied gun but am just getting into firearm hunting big game so I am new to the firearm side of things. I don't currently own a firearm (sold them off to start new with better choices). I have been shooting since I was little and have shot my dad's old Winchester model 70 .300 win mag when we visit the friend who has is now. I have also shot Ar-15s and Ar-10s and pretty much every caliber from .22 short up to .338 Lapua. I am mainly asking for advice on the caliber as I have already decided to purchase the Remington model 700 ADL.

Well, the Remington Model 700 ADL has been discontinued for new sales for quite some time now. So to buy one, you would need to purchase a used rifle.

I am confident that no factory Remington rifle has ever been chambered in 338 Lapua. And the ADL certainly has never been made available in 6.5mm Creedmoor. You would tus have to have a gunsmith rebarrel a used gun to shoot 6.5mm Creedmoor, in order to get that caliber in an ADL.

...but if you call now, we can offer you this exclusive deal!
Just one easy payment of $99.99, + an additional $99.99 a month, for the rest of your life!
$CALL!

.....operators standing by....

...:p:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR