JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably.
But it doesn't do the ocean life any good to dump more pollution into it, especially if it enters the food chain.
I love Dungeness crab, but I know they are scavengers of dead animal carcasses, including humans.
Well.... just a point to ponder, but... WE eat the dead remains of animals on a daily basis. It hasn't killed off the human race, yet. I for one have caught and eaten enough crab in my lifetime that I have no qualms about "settling out my bill" in some small part.

Giving back to the ocean is far less detrimental to the environment than putrefying in the ground, IMHO. If you think about it, what amount of "us" is constantly entering into the food chain by leeching rotted bacteria ridden flesh into the ground water table or being sucked up through the roots of crops(?)

Just sayin... staying "fresh"... and then you're gone in short order... while giving back to mother nature... doesn't really seem all that "cringe worthy" to me.

Of course. If it were legal to leave your deceased remains out in the open... say up in the hills in bear country... I would be perfectly happy with that too. Pound for pound, I've taken a heck of alot more from the mountains than I have from the oceans, but the odds of your skeletal remains being discovered, ruining some snowflakes day and creating all kinds of hubub isn't appealing.

My grandfather once said that if he ever developed dementia or Alzheimer's to the point he didn't recognize anyone any more to take him up in the hills and just drop him off. Put a gold coin with a note around his neck. "I'm where I want to be. The gold coin is all yours if you walk away and forget you ever saw me." 🤣

This day and age... you just can't count on anyone being honest enough to walk away though.;)

Last Edited:
The Galveston Texas hurricane in 1900 killed over 10,000 people. Somebody came up with a solution of what to do with some of the dead bodies.
Haul them out to sea and dump them. Over 700 bodies were dumped, but the tide washed most of them back to shore.
By far the worst US natural disaster to date.
I have to guess they could not find anyone smart enough to show them how to do a burial at sea. Or someone just got lazy and instead of doing it the right way just went out in boats and tossed them in.

I have to guess they could not find anyone smart enough to show them how to do a burial at sea. Or someone just got lazy and instead of doing it the right way just went out in boats and tossed them in.
They were probably paid enough to do it right, but pocketed the money without holding up their end of the bargain.

I've been to half a dozen military funerals and it is an honor for me to attend and give a final salute to my fallen comrades. I never left one with a dry eye.

Back when I had finished AIT and had traveled to my permanent duty station in Colorado, my unit was not back from Reforger-77 infantry training in Germany at the time.
So I was in limbo and they sent me up to Ft. Logan for burial duty for a few months. That was a very humbling experience. It was an honor to be chosen to send off our warriors.
:s0152:

For those whose curiosity has been piqued there is a book called Stiff; The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach that you might find enlightening. She talks about the uses donated bodies are put to. You may not end up where you expected!! It is a good read even if a bit gruesome at times.
Sign me up! Don't really care what happens once this heart and brain stop functioning!

My grandfather once said that if he ever developed dementia or Alzheimer's to the point he didn't recognize anyone any more to take him up in the hills and just drop him off. Put a gold coin with a note around his neck. "I'm where I want to be. The gold coin is all yours if you walk away and forget you ever saw me." 🤣
My maternal grandfather spent a couple years in a vegetative state in a nursing home.

My father spent a week or so in a hospital, much of it unconscious in a coma, after an operation to relieve pain from terminal cancer while my family waited for him to die.

My aunt died in an induced coma that she never woke from after several weeks, due to internal issues.

I don't want anything like that. If I get to a certain point where it is obvious that I will not recover to a decent level of living, without severe pain, not in a vegetative unaware state, etc. - I want my family to opt for termination rather than leaving me to be living but not, basically alive but dead. My daughter is aware of my wishes and agrees. Ditto for cremation.

I have to guess they could not find anyone smart enough to show them how to do a burial at sea. Or someone just got lazy and instead of doing it the right way just went out
It was the mayor of Galveston, or an army general, I can't remember who gave the order when I read about the storm and it's intense destruction years ago.

"On Monday, September 10, over 700 bodies were loaded onto barges where they were taken out to sea, weighted, and dropped overboard. The bodies eventually washed back on the beach."

"On Monday, September 10, over 700 bodies were loaded onto barges where they were taken out to sea, weighted, and dropped overboard. The bodies eventually washed back on the beach."

During WWII how many men were buried at sea? Don't remember reading of any of them "washing up" on shore. So I would have to "guess" there is a proper way to do it, and the "blow up the Whale" method of doing it. :s0092:

I've been to half a dozen military funerals and it is an honor for me to attend and give a final salute to my fallen comrades. I never left one with a dry eye.

Back when I had finished AIT and had traveled to my permanent duty station in Colorado, my unit was not back from Reforger-77 infantry training in Germany at the time.
So I was in limbo and they sent me up to Ft. Logan for burial duty for a few months. That was a very humbling experience. It was an honor to be chosen to send off our warriors.
Every time I go to one of the Military burial with the gun, and taps, I am in awe. It tugs at me even when it was someone I hardly knew.

The problem was that the bodies weren't taken far enough out into the gulf and the bottom of the gulf is flat in that area, plus the tide surge was still ongoing.
They then decided to use warehouses as temporary morgues and then they burned the bodies in mass funeral pyres.

The problem was that the bodies weren't taken far enough out into the gulf and the bottom of the gulf is flat in that area, plus the tide surge was still ongoing.
They then decided to use warehouses as temporary morgues and then they burned the bodies in mass funeral pyres.
They had plenty of driftwood handy.

<humorous response > Told my kids I don't care, I'm dead, I won't be there. My financial plan is to have the last check I write for funeral expenses bounce, so they have to pay to keep me in the ground. 😀. Fun part will be at my funeral:
Cell phone needs to be placed in my casket, half way through the service I want the song "Pop goes the weasel' to start playing.
At the end, everyone gets a taser - last man standing gets my guns 😀😀😀

Well.... just a point to ponder, but... WE eat the dead remains of animals on a daily basis. It hasn't killed off the human race, yet. I for one have caught and eaten enough crab in my lifetime that I have no qualms about "settling out my bill" in some small part.

Giving back to the ocean is far less detrimental to the environment than putrefying in the ground, IMHO. If you think about it, what amount of "us" is constantly entering into the food chain by leeching rotted bacteria ridden flesh into the ground water table or being sucked up through the roots of crops(?)

Just sayin... staying "fresh"... and then you're gone in short order... while giving back to mother nature... doesn't really seem all that "cringe worthy" to me.

Of course. If it were legal to leave your deceased remains out in the open... say up in the hills in bear country... I would be perfectly happy with that too. Pound for pound, I've taken a heck of alot more from the mountains than I have from the oceans, but the odds of your skeletal remains being discovered, ruining some snowflakes day and creating all kinds of hubub isn't appealing.

This day and age... you just can't count on anyone being honest enough to walk away though.;)
I would also support on land burial. IMO we make burial too complicated, once the death certificate is signed the body should belong to the family to bury as they wish. I can see some kind of permitting for public land burial though only to assure people arent overusing any given area, plus proper depth grave etc. I just dont see any reason we need to preserve decayed embalmed bodies in non biodegradable boxes till we run out of real estate.
Nautural burials. Im also not worried about human biomagnification affecting the food chain. Its the least of our concerns regarding disposing of bodies and it happens in nature anyways. Were finding toxins in most all sea foods, worse in fresh water. Almost all wild food animals have microplastics now.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top