JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having experienced a cremation recently, a pringles can will not be large enough, may have to spring for two.
Geesh... there is just no end to it is there? Maybe if she gets a real pringles can they can stuff me into it without the seams bursting like a dollar store version might.

Last Edited:
Knickers aren't cinched up quite so tightly here in this neck of the woods, so what do you good folks make of my proposition? Once we're gone, parts is parts, yes?
I dunno why anyone would get so spun up over that. As you aptly put it, "parts is parts".

We use the parts of animals we harvest, and after all, we are all just animals. If it has meaning for your family that's all that should matter to anyone. Any persons "feelings" to the contrary.... my response would be...

1712380719165.png

Cremation and spreading of ashes in the forest is my choice.

To me, there is nothing super special about a dead body.

OTOH most of my family opts for expensive burials - including buying plots/etc. - somewhat superstitious (due to religious beliefs) about the issue.

To each their own.

I don't want my daughter to spend a lot of $ on the disposal.

A nice party with people wearing Hawaiian shirts, having a BBQ/etc. - is what I want afterwards.

I believe people live on in the memories of their family and friends.

What about spiritual body?
Uhhh... the sprirtual?
If that gives you peace, motivates you and/or provides a belief system and structure that improves your life... Sure! Why not!!👍

In the context of the thread though I'm not sure how one would go about making plans on how to dispose of it, though.
Loose women and whiskey? ;)

nearing my 75th birthday i am thinking about what to do with my remains after i die. i don't like the idea of an expensive funeral, or creamation. so what are my other options? any ideas?

Didn't read all the responses, so...
I don't know if they'd want it, but I'd prefer a university medical center take me apart in anyway they see fit and get whatever information or training out of it they could. Seems like a colossal waste of resources to insist on spending all that money on traditional burials. I always remember my old dad telling me he was leaving his body to science. Mom/brother didn't do that when he passed. Dad WAS that kind of guy though.

My Mom's cremation was $1800.00 back in October. I scattered her ashes up in the woods at the same place I scattered my Dads.
A friend of mines brother died recently and willed his body to OHSU but they didn't want it so they had to make other arrangements on the spur of the moment.
Me, I'll be cremated, get a Veterans ceremony and internment at the Roseburg VA cemetery.

D9D45704-0E25-4922-B039-9E68F9087B1F.jpeg

Been to one of those. It's damn sobering and an incredible honor. The guy that lived next door when we bought this house was a VN vet. We became pretty close during those years before he married and moved to Gresham. When he passed, because lymphoma, we had the incredible honor of being invited up to The Willamette National Cemetery to his service.

Damn! That is ridiculous! I guess I will have to change my plans with my daughter and have her burry me face down in the back yard with my butt sticking out of the ground into the air 12" (so she has a place to park her bike if she decides to visit me).

Business and the State screw us our entire lives, I take particular offense to being further screwed when I am dead!

How much does a cinder block and a boat ride cost? I have eaten fish all my life maybe it should be their turn after I am dead?
I'll go fishing afterwards to complete the cycle. ;)

D3FF00D1-1AAD-4B2E-BE04-70A7B6FF935B.jpeg

I wanted a wood lathe, so I mentioned to the wife I could make our urns if I had a lathe.... average size is 200 cubic inches. or about the size of a 3 pound coffee container. we have already paid for a cremation size burial plot and the cremations. DR
I've built a few urns with exotic woods, dowels/biscuits (no nails) and varnish, they still look fabulous on the mantle's of the survivors.

I once fantasized about building my own casket but thought, man that's a lot of work and what if we move? :s0153::s0153::s0153:

All I know is the traditional burial method is outdated and taking up valuable real estate in an increasingly populated world.
Alternatives like body composting, natural burials (no caskets or embalming), cremation, aquamation (water cremation), and the old burial at sea need to be all common place.
I would think the old burial at sea would be one of the cheapest and most environmentally safe ways of body disposal. The ocean depths and critters will take care of the body to nothing in no time at all.

I've built a few urns with exotic woods, dowels/biscuits (no nails) and varnish, they still look fabulous on the mantle's of the survivors.

I once fantasized about building my own casket but thought, man that's a lot of work and what if we move? :s0153::s0153::s0153:
Ours are sitting on the mantel now. empty of course. The kids and grandkids at first were a little freaked by them. until they realized they would not have to pick out urns for us when the time came. DR

Been to one of those. It's damn sobering and an incredible honor. The guy that lived next door when we bought this house was a VN vet. We became pretty close during those years before he married and moved to Gresham. When he passed, because lymphoma, we had the incredible honor of being invited up to The Willamette National Cemetery to his service.
I've been to half a dozen military funerals and it is an honor for me to attend and give a final salute to my fallen comrades. I never left one with a dry eye.

Back when I had finished AIT and had traveled to my permanent duty station in Colorado, my unit was not back from Reforger-77 infantry training in Germany at the time.
So I was in limbo and they sent me up to Ft. Logan for burial duty for a few months. That was a very humbling experience. It was an honor to be chosen to send off our warriors.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top