JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nearing my 75th birthday i am thinking about what to do with my remains after i die. i don't like the idea of an expensive funeral, or creamation. so what are my other options? any ideas?
At 56 my daughter and I have an agreement that my ashes are to be buried in a generic pringles can. I have made it very clear that I DO NOT want her wasting money on some over priced fancy REAL pringles can when a generic dollar store version will do the job just as well!

Last Edited:
My youngest bro kicked the bucket on christmas 2022 it was $1800 for the paperwork and cremation.
Damn! That is ridiculous! I guess I will have to change my plans with my daughter and have her burry me face down in the back yard with my butt sticking out of the ground into the air 12" (so she has a place to park her bike if she decides to visit me).

Business and the State screw us our entire lives, I take particular offense to being further screwed when I am dead!

How much does a cinder block and a boat ride cost? I have eaten fish all my life maybe it should be their turn after I am dead?

Cremation for me...
Some ashes to go out on my favorite hunting spot.

The others....
To go to my muzzle loading club...friends then take a scoop , toss it in with their load...
And we have a true Andy54Hawken Memorial shoot.... :D
Andy

I will be cremated and my ashes will be spread up in the green space where some of my best four legged friends were buried. I can think of no better company and will see that rainbow bridge for myself.

Kinda, less sling shot more high plateau and vultures
I think sky funerals are a lot more natural and poignant than embalming with formaldehyde, putting plastic caps and such under the eyelids, sutures, etc. and then dressing and putting the body on display. All of that is followed up with expensive and ornate headstones, caskets, mausoleums.

I can't remember exactly where, but I saw this shrine that a wealthy family had built for a recently deceased lived one, and it towered over everything else in the cemetery. It reminded me of the poem Ozymandius by Shelley.

"...Nothing beside remains.
Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

😎

At 56 my daughter and I have an agreement that my ashes are to be buried in a generic pringles can. I have made it very clear that I DO NOT want her wasting money on a REAL pringles can when a generic dollar store version will do the job just as well!
Having experienced a cremation recently, a pringles can will not be large enough, may have to spring for two.

disregarding laws and regulations, what would be a creative method. i know this is a serious subject to some people but my view is, if you can't laugh at your own death you can live in fear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not!
Id like to be disposed of the way Edward Abby was (a notable environmentalist from the 70s). He asked his friends to ignore all laws and bury him in the Arizona desert, no body prep no coffin.
According to folklore... they did. To this day nobody knows officially what happened to the body, and his friends aint talkin.

"One final paragraph of advice: [...] It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here.
So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space.
Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.
— Edward Abbey"

Being shot into space seems pretty intriguing to me.

1712362034455.png

I wanted a wood lathe, so I mentioned to the wife I could make our urns if I had a lathe.... average size is 200 cubic inches. or about the size of a 3 pound coffee container. we have already paid for a cremation size burial plot and the cremations. DR

Cremation was a bit over $3k, so not exactly cheap.
In this area, it starts at about $700 but I think the average is somewhere around $1,500. That's with the survivors taking the urn and disposing of it themselves. There are add-on costs if the urn is going to be placed in a crypt or Columbarium. Or the ground, as my mother was. She already had the plot next to my father, so my sister had her cremated per wishes, then buried in the ground.

Select parts of guitars (nut, bridge saddle and bridge pins) are typically made of plastic, synthetic ivory, ebony and other dense materials known to effectively transfer string vibrations into the guitar itself where all the tonal magic happens. Parts made of bone (cow bone) are a big deal among mid/higher-end manufacturers, luthiers and repair techs, and are typically listed as a desirable feature in spec sheets. I have bone parts on some of my guitars.

When my time comes, I'm going to be cremated as quickly/simply as possible, the VA will reimburse my paying survivor for that relatively minor expense. My 41yo son (also a guitarist and tinkerer) agrees with me that it would be cool if I could leave him a rib or femur to fashion some sentimental bone parts for his guitars. He could even post it on NWFA in Show Us Something You Made.

I posed a question about the legality/logistical concerns of willing some earthly remains to my boy over on the AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum) where exceedingly genteel moderators are vigilant to pounce upon even the slightest hint of hell, damn, Trump/Brandon or COVID. Not only was I scolded by a (small) handful of members who were horrified by my post, but it was removed! LOL. It's like I was advocating for fluffy kitten sacrifices or drinking blood or something! Yet they're okay with reports that Keith Richards snorted cocaine laced with some of his dad's ashes.

I don't get it.

Knickers aren't cinched up quite so tightly here in this neck of the woods, so what do you good folks make of my proposition? Once we're gone, parts is parts, yes?

IMG_8328.jpg

IMG_8329.jpg

Last Edited:
My late brother-in-law got the last laugh when the time came to spread his cremated ashes near an island in the Puget Sound area.
Right when we tossed the remains into the air, a big blast of wind suddenly came up and blew all the ashes back towards the boat and into all of our eyes and hair.
I wondered where they got the idea for the spread the cremation ashes scene in The Big Lebowski!

The only cost to surviving family would be the cost of a small Viking ship. Taken out to sea filled with kindling and lit on fire.

Maybe some weights attached so what was left wouldn't float back to shore.

VIKING FUNERAL

Having gone through this twice in the last few years I can happily recommend Cascadia Cremation and Burial Service in Vancouver. No pressure sales, straight talk about what is necessary and what isn't. Each cremation was less than $1000 total.
https://cascadiacremation.com/about-us/contact-us/

Everyone facing these decisions should read The American Way of Death and The American Way of Death Revisited to get real insight into how most of the death industry really works. Having read them both I was pleased to find that Cascadia is the exception rather than the rule.

No affiliation with Cascadia except being a happy witness to their service for family and friends.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top