JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Where do you stand on Christmas Trees?

• Real

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Artificial

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • None

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other Christmas items (wreath etc)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other non-Christmas (Aluminum Pole etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Haven't had a Christmas tree since probably around '98. Stopped the "tradition" of trading stuff with family members a few years back. Spoke with everyone and we all agreed it was too commercialized and all we were doing was spending money on crap that the others may or may not want. If we get together, it is for dinner (agreed non Christmas stuff, like bbq, pizza, burgers).
My mom does have a 12" tall driftwood "Charlie Brown" tree with one ornament on it that she puts out on the mantle if other people are going to come by.

If I were going to do it, I'd go with a real tree. Little bit more work, but I like the smell. Plus, no need to find a place to put it other than the curb or burn pile.

When I was kid my grandparents always had a real tree (they raised me). Im sure stands have gotten better but ill never forget the frustration of dealing with that stupid little red water dish stand with the 3 bolts you needed to get absolutely perfect to get the tree to stand straight. All ornaments were also hand made, by us kids or things my grandparents had made. It was always really nice once set up and done. They are long passed now and im damn near 40. Just never felt like dealing with all that hassle myself. I honestly don't even care about a tree or any of that. My wife on the other hand does care. We negotiated. I told her she can set up a tree every year if she wants but as someone mentioned before I dont want to deal with going and getting it, setting it up and then dragging the dead thing out. My wife grabbed a really nice fake tree and it actually looks really really good. We've had it for several years now. No complaints from us.
The little red and green metal tree stand. I remember it well. Just about impossible to adjust right by yourself.

Fake here. Don't like spiders in the house or the dog drinking all the tree water. Cheaper in the long run as well, and the new ones are pretty realistic. Not a fan of the storage issue, but everything is a compromise.

We put up an artificial tree each year, I dont want to deal with bugs or pine needles. I was raised Christian, but got burned out by all the horrid people I met who somehow still claimed to be "good Christians".

My wife is Shinto, Japanese, but not religious. Shes the one who wants to do Christmas decorations, so we put them up.

Gotta' be a real tree. I'm really torn this year though as our go-to place with semi reasonable prices for really fresh fir trees jumped the price $10.00-$12.00/5'-6' from last year. About a billion trees get grown in Or and those bastards screw us locals. Again! "Wifey", the kid of the family, keeps the tradition alive. I'm afraid if it weren't for her i might "Humbug" out. I have ornaments, hand made, and purchased, from when I first moved out of my parents home in 1975. Mom used to get this years "Special" ornament after Christmas to give to me because they'd be half price.

Wifey needs the smell of a fresh tree. I always loved the smell to coming home after being out and about. We have no more problems with bugs than the usual heating with wood. Thank God they came up with a decent tree stand after those red/green pieces of crap we deal with for years! I've got the power equipment, chainsaw, and a gas blower to get needles, bugs and flotsam out of the tree. We don't put the tree up real early, 10 days, so needles aren't a problem. And taking the tree down is just as fun as putting it up was. A clear view out the front window again!

I do wonder about some neighbors that fill their entire front yard with decorations for Halloween and Christmas, and assume they rent a storage unit to hold all that stuff.
Maybe they have a lot less gun stuff? Plenty of room for decorations! :D

I always loved the Christmas lights. I put a bunch out. Not as much as 10 years ago though. My Dad always put up a bunch. He even made huge plywood letters, NOEL, with sparkles that hung on the front of our house with a spotlight on it. Also he made a life size Santa holding a lit lantern with a bag over his shoulder out of plywood to be next to the NOEL.
Every year, except this one, and last, we'd take a long route home after having dinner out driving around the hoods looking at peoples lights. I always though it was kind of pathetic that so many people wont get a short string of lights and put them up where passers by can see them.

Gotta' be a real tree. I'm really torn this year though as our go-to place with semi reasonable prices for really fresh fir trees jumped the price $10.00-$12.00/5'-6' from last year. About a billion trees get grown in Or and those bastards screw us locals. Again! "Wifey", the kid of the family, keeps the tradition alive. I'm afraid if it weren't for her i might "Humbug" out. I have ornaments, hand made, and purchased, from when I first moved out of my parents home in 1975. Mom used to get this years "Special" ornament after Christmas to give to me because they'd be half price.

Wifey needs the smell of a fresh tree. I always loved the smell to coming home after being out and about. We have no more problems with bugs than the usual heating with wood. Thank God they came up with a decent tree stand after those red/green pieces of crap we deal with for years! I've got the power equipment, chainsaw, and a gas blower to get needles, bugs and flotsam out of the tree. We don't put the tree up real early, 10 days, so needles aren't a problem. And taking the tree down is just as fun as putting it up was. A clear view out the front window again!

Maybe they have a lot less gun stuff? Plenty of room for decorations! :D

I always loved the Christmas lights. I put a bunch out. Not as much as 10 years ago though. My Dad always put up a bunch. He even made huge plywood letters, NOEL, with sparkles that hung on the front of our house with a spotlight on it. Also he made a life size Santa holding a lit lantern with a bag over his shoulder out of plywood to be next to the NOEL.
Every year, except this one, and last, we'd take a long route home after having dinner out driving around the hoods looking at peoples lights. I always though it was kind of pathetic that so many people wont get a short string of lights and put them up where passers by can see them.
Growing up, in a neighborhood near me, folks put up displays in their yards for The 12 Days of Christmas at 12 houses in a row (or very close to it) along one street. They were very well done, very professional and consistent with one another. The whole thing looked really nice. So many people drove by to see them that traffic would back up a little sometimes. It was on a side street with alternate routes around it, so it really only impacted the one street. As a kid I got a huge kick out of it and each year we would load the family up in the car and have a look.

Growing up, in a neighborhood near me, folks put up displays in their yards for The 12 Days of Christmas at 12 houses in a row (or very close to it) along one street. They were very well done, very professional and consistent with one another. The whole thing looked really nice. So many people drove by to see them that traffic would back up a little sometimes. It was on a side street with alternate routes around it, so it really only impacted the one street. As a kid I got a huge kick out of it and each year we would load the family up in the car and have a look.
Years ago, between wife 1 and Wifey, we went to "Peacock Lane". It's a full city block lit up it's entire length. We went ONCE, and that's it, I'll tell you what! What a fricken karen show it must be now! The lights and tree are cool. Pretty much everything else "Christmas" has turned to feces! Unless you got kids. Kids can make it a great time. They can also destroy it though.

There are a few neighborhoods here that go WAYYYYY all out for charity. They look like they must spend a month setting it all up. They will then take a small amount of cash or often just food donations for one of the banks. They really put on some NICE shows. Looks like the people really enjoy doing it.

I feel bad some people have given up on the holidays.

I'm agnostic, not religious at all. But I have lived in a foreign country, and travelled to many others. They all have their yearly traditions, it's a great way to break the monotony. I always participate if I'm there during their holiday.

I love putting up lights, it's like a juxtaposition against the cold, dark winter. My wife, who is born/raised elsewhere, also loves Christmas.

I never did participate in the consumerism aspect of it, I grew up poor and have a very small family, so it doesn't become a debacle for me.
I also understand that a lot of the music, movies and traditions of Christmas came from people seeking profits decades ago. I can separate all of that and just focus on the good.

There's a few things I appreciate more than ever, now that we've seen how disgusting fellow "Americans" can be: someone flying a US flag or putting up holiday decorations generally makes me feel a little better.

I think they helped my younger sister learn her first swear word.
I was just made aware of this...

Screen-Shot-2021-12-13-at-11.42.29-AM.png

After a nasty hot summer that left some plants and shrubs in my yard scorched black around the edges, it's interesting to note my (real) 7' tree is green all the way through. Many times past, I've found dry brown needles underneath/inside. Surprisingly, none of that this year.

After a nasty hot summer that left some plants and shrubs in my yard scorched black around the edges, it's interesting to note my (real) 7' tree is green all the way through. Many times past, I've found dry brown needles underneath/inside. Surprisingly, none of that this year.
But the price was $10.00 or more this year wasn't it? The place we get our tree is a local vegetable/produce farmers market sort of place. Went by yesterday to get our tree. Their trees are well displayed and plenty fresh and, have been more reasonable that many others. They have some very nice Mexican guys that work there. I asked the guy if they provide Vaseline with the tree purchase with those prices. He gave me a puzzled look and said "Vaseline?" with his heavy accent. I said "yes", "It makes it so it doesn't hurt so much when I get screwed". He puzzled for a second, and then got it and cracked up.

Mine was very reasonable at a local farm (we cut our own there), and even better with a $5 coupon Mrs. Teflon was given where she works.
We did the cut-your-own a couple of times years ago and it was less money and can't get fresher.. But now, to get that far out and back is a pain. And with all the party crap the cut-your-own places do now it has been cheaper for years to get one in town. We only have our tree up for 7-10 days, and keep it watered, because I don't like the idea of having a dead dry tree in the living room. Always wondered what those folks that we see on the roads with a Christmas tree strapped to their cars trees are like on 12/26?

Switched to an artificial tree 3 years ago. Far less hassle for two working adults. Like others have said, they make really nice artificial trees now. Only downside is no woodsy scent. But we do hang real garland, so there is that.

We have a real tree here at the shop because one of the guys brought it in. It is a hodge-podge of lights and ornaments we cobbled together on the cheap.

Haven't had a Christmas tree since probably around '98. Stopped the "tradition" of trading stuff with family members a few years back. Spoke with everyone and we all agreed it was too commercialized and all we were doing was spending money on crap that the others may or may not want. If we get together, it is for dinner (agreed non Christmas stuff, like bbq, pizza, burgers).
My mom does have a 12" tall driftwood "Charlie Brown" tree with one ornament on it that she puts out on the mantle if other people are going to come by.
^^^That's great. More people should do that. My brother and I have a Christmas "truce" - no gifts. I tell people to buy me a beer for Christmas, but still I wind up with a bunch of stuff I won't ever wear or use. It's the women in the family who are responsible for all the crazy Christmas spending and stress.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top