JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reading some of the responses is interesting. We've been so indoctrinated into following laws that we often don't even question if they are constitutional to begin with. We're supposed to have the right to bear arms...and yet we not only have to ask permission to do this, we must pay fees and complete coursework, etc., to do something that is supposed to be our god given right.

And we don't just have to do this once but numerous times for any state we wish to visit. Heck there may even be further restrictions or requirements from city to city within the same state. How exactly is anyone supposed to figure out and remember the rules in every city they may be passing through as they move about the country? And this doesn't even account for the fact that some cites/states simply won't issue you permission (a permit) to exercise your god given right...places like New York.

It's starting to sound like not much of a right to me. My rights don't end simply because I cross over some imaginary line on a map. :rolleyes:

Reading some of the responses is interesting. We've been so indoctrinated into following laws that we often don't even question if they are constitutional to begin with. We're supposed to have the right to bear arms...and yet we not only have to ask permission to do this, we must pay fees and complete coursework, etc., to do something that is supposed to be our god given right.

And we don't just have to do this once but numerous times for any state we wish to visit. Heck there may even be further restrictions or requirements from city to city within the same state. How exactly is anyone supposed to figure out and remember the rules in every city they may be passing through as they move about the country? And this doesn't even account for the fact that some cites/states simply won't issue you permission (a permit) to exercise your god given right...places like New York.

It's starting to sound like not much of a right to me. My rights don't end simply because I cross over some imaginary line on a map. :rolleyes:
Very well stated!

I know this thread is a couple years old, but I just have to strongly disagree with the several who have said they have no sympathy for those that make a (stupid) mistake and get caught up in these things.

No, you wouldn't make that mistake, and I certainly wouldn't make that mistake, because we are acutely aware of these issues and the potential consequences.

No, there's really no excuse for making that kind of dumb mistake, but 15 years in prison for a dumb mistake, where there's no criminal intent or history? A felony for being honest and trying to do the right thing? That's absurd. The punishment certainly doesn't fit the crime. I may not agree with their draconian laws but it is the law and I could understand a fine or misdemeanor or such, but a felony, prison?

On the other hand, she was carrying for self defense. Imagine the trouble she'd be in if she'd have shot a mugger in self defense.

I went to the memorial in 2012, and didn't know my pocket knife was forbidden until I'd already waited in TWO lines to get in. Luckily, I was sure of NY knife laws, and the on duty officer held onto it for me while I was inside, AND even gave it back to me when I left. SpyderCo Captain for those curious.

None of us here are immune from the vast amount of seriously confusing gun laws that criminals dont have to go by. We spend half out time on this forum debating and trying to figure out these gun laws... Theres even an entire sub-forum dedicated to that subject.

While this thread is old, the thing that ticks me off today is how Hillary walks after compromising national security because it couldnt be proven she "intended" or "knowingly" compromised national security...

Yet if you unintentionally make a mistake traveling with your gun, and even when you try to do the right thing you get arrested, charged with a felony.

National security vs. Doing the right thing.... The results are telling...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews