JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Where you will be and where you will pass thru.

15 Years Jail time (if convicted and gets max)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/0...ail-time-for-declaring-legal-handguns-at-nyc/
"Elizabeth Elderli never leaves her Houston home unarmed. So, when the 31-year-old former U.S. Marine visited Manhattan's September 11 Memorial, two guns were in her backpack when she saw a "no firearms" sign at the security checkpoint.

Elderli told a police officer about the loaded 9-mm. and .380-caliber semi-automatic guns -- both covered by her Texas-issued concealed weapons permit, which she believed was valid in New York, her attorney claims. But she quickly learned that the Empire State's gun control laws bear no resemblance to those in effect back home. Elderli was arrested in the Saturday incident, charged with felony possession of a weapon and left facing 3 ½ to 15 years in prison."

handgunlaw.us can help.

This happened a while ago, I thought there was a "happy" ending for some of the folks?

As for be knowing the laws of states you travel too, I file that under "responsible gun owner."

You'd be surprised at the ignorance of gun laws...I try to force sense into people about carrying...my wife likes to sit at the bar and I've got to insist elsewhere while she goes "oh that's right, your gun!" While my face gets red and hope nobody hears...

She once wanted to make a road trip to California...I told her I wanted her to be careful...she stopped me and wanted to explain to me how she was going to keep her S&W 642 loaded and in her center console the entire time.

:s0054:

It's funny when you think about it...if you grew up knowing firearms you would think that everyone grew up (or should have grown up with) firearms. When you have liberties, you expect to have them everywhere in the US...so yeah, I can see where a chick in NY that grew up in Texas would say "hey officer, I don't want to break any laws, what do I do with my legally purchased and owned firearms in your state?"

Remember folks...every lawmaker that pushed for this legislation and every cop that silently opposed it stated that these laws weren't for innocent gun owners- but for taking them away from hardcore criminals.

Well now look what happens when innocence meets the new normalcy.

Last Edited:
I agree that someone should look up the law where they are visiting but its complete BS that one would get a felony for trying to do the right thing....

Not just state to state, but since Tuesday of this week here in McMinnville also.

Open carry loaded WITHOUT a CHL is banned under the definitions of public places in ORS 161.015(10).

Want to open carry while traveling and stop in McMinnville, get out of your car and walk down a sidewalk to a restaurant, WITHOUT a CHL, and you have to carry unloaded according to the new ordinance.

That being said, the ordinance does not apply to CHL holders at all, and the police can't even ask you if your firearm is unloaded, or not, only to see if you are a "threat."

The News Register had a misleading article claiming the ordinance only banned loaded open carry by non-CHL holders in the city parks, so I'll bet a lot of folks are still thinking they can open carry loaded in other areas.

This girl ,the other Marine and the new doctor all got what they deserved.
No sympathy for any of them.READ THE LAWS
I mean a Doctor? Come on,can't you read?
There is doctor back in Sequim that was going to NY to have an old gun appraised by a friend.I believe it was in his checked baggage and 1 tsa gal wanted to arrest him right there at Laguardia I believe. Luckily a supervisor came by said everything was OK. He was sure he was going to jail,even though he had done everything right.
I never left anything on the east coast the 1 time I went there,so I never need to go back

I just cannot fathom how we have allowed our country/states to pass laws that violate our constitutional rights.

Im quite sure the founding fathers meant you dont need permission to keep and bear arms, Openly or concealed.
We should be able to go state to state with our LOADED firearms. What use is an unloaded one?

I sure hope one day someone proves how dangerous unloaded carry is. Thats precious time that could save a life.
But thats beside the point, the point is we have allowed states like NY to demonize something that every American has the constitutional right to.. But then again.. The east coast is notorious for violating peoples rights.

Is it messed up that I wish for a serious viral outbreak that wipes out the entire east part of our nation?

First off I would never go up to a rent a cop, or an actual police officer and ask if my guns were legal. If I questioned it take them back to the hotel.
And anyone should know you don't take guns to NY, NJ, CA, or IL.
Starting to be more and more.

If your taking a firearm out of state for a state you don't have a permit through, you call ahead of time to the local sheriff's office.

No reason this lady should be arrested or charged.

I just cannot fathom how we have allowed our country/states to pass laws that violate our constitutional rights.

Im quite sure the founding fathers meant you dont need permission to keep and bear arms, Openly or concealed.
We should be able to go state to state with our LOADED firearms. What use is an unloaded one?

I sure hope one day someone proves how dangerous unloaded carry is. Thats precious time that could save a life.
But thats beside the point, the point is we have allowed states like NY to demonize something that every American has the constitutional right to.. But then again.. The east coast is notorious for violating peoples rights.

Is it messed up that I wish for a serious viral outbreak that wipes out the entire east part of our nation?
So is west side /metro Oregon

Its cases like this, the NRA should be sitting at her side in court and using this as case study for the future.
If this was a case of Cannabis , every liberal would have a lawyer at her side.

The law says there is no excuse for not having its knowledge and that we are also allowed to cross USA state borders unmolested. There are an estimate 900 trillion pages of laws in the USA from Federal to City that are active it is impossible for any person to have knowledge and read all the laws that exist and that change each year state to state. If I read Oregon laws last week, and then next week when SB941 goes into effect there is a huge difference in how these things work. The issue is the sovereignty of America is amazing to have yet it also allows so many varied laws and so many violation of rights there is simply not enough time in 10 life times to fix this without a revolution.

The best thing the Texas lady has going for her is her proven lack of criminal intent. She did not try to sneak the guns anywhere, she just made a mistake and tried to get direction from a law officer.

If she is convicted, it is an indication that NY is more interested in persecuting honest people than addressing its violence problem.

If she is convicted, it is an indication that NY is more interested in persecuting honest people than addressing its violence problem.

The NY SAFE act was never about addressing NYC's violence problem, it's always been about trying to ban all firearms. Since they can't officially ban all of them yet, they will make it as onerous as possible for those that want to excerise their rights, that many will just give up.

Ray

I just got back from a trip to Canada, wanted to bring my 10mm as we were hiking in Glacier, and Banff National Park. Did some research on their gun laws before the trip, that is some scary stuff. Figured out fast there was no way that 10mm was coming on the trip, from what I could tell, a shotgun would have been "OK", just couldn't ever load it.
My Canadian friends thought I was paranoid about the bears, then that poor fellow in Yellowstone was eaten by a Grizzly a couple days later.

I lived in NY State a couple years back in the 90s. Bought one handgun while I lived there, the process took an entire year. And the permit did not allow me to have the handgun in NYC, just valid upstate.

I lived in California before the panic of the 80's and went in and bought a gun just like Oregon was until a few days ago. Even was able to buy from friends with no papers or background checks. And somehow society didnt begin to get out of control, until they brought up more gun control. I have not been back to Komifornia in 11 years and wont I by pass the state if I have to.

Considering most of the mass shooters have all obtained their guns either legally, with a background check, or stole them, I simply can't see these laws as anything but people control. And yet the nutsacks that live in places like NYC can't wait to elect these overlords in at every election. I just prefer to avoid any state/city with such laws.

I have little sympathy for those that get caught with a gun in those places, particularly when the laws are readily available to anyone with internet access and half a brain.

I had to be in the Chicago are two weeks ago for work. I knew well enough to leave the gun in Oregon because I checked the laws before I went -IL doesn't recognize any other state's CHL (I have OR and WA) and they don't issue to non-residents. So I knew I would have to go without in one of the most gun violent cities in America. Thanks a lot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top