JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i am literally "homeless," in that i am a nomad who lives in hotels and motels along the way... all of my food is purchased as i eat it, so no matter what i'm leaving "the house" at least 2-3 times a day.

not much has changed for me. there are places i'm not going that i'd like to go, to avoid sanctions- being fined for being "out," and such.. but that's about it.

wash your hands
don't touch your face
cover your cough

i've always been big on these three things, and i'm probably a little extra diligent about them now.. thats it for me.

listening to a neighbor motel-mate cough up a lung as i write this.. that's the only bubblegum that kinda gets my rankles rankling. though i can't blame anyone for coughing, it does seem like one could have the decency of being quieter about it.

i am literally "homeless," in that i am a nomad who lives in hotels and motels along the way... all of my food is purchased as i eat it, so no matter what i'm leaving "the house" at least 2-3 times a day.

not much has changed for me. there are places i'm not going that i'd like to go, to avoid sanctions- being fined for being "out," and such.. but that's about it.

Saw someone camped alongside the main road yesterday on the mountain. They could have gone further up and camped in the woods instead of right by the road.

Saw someone camped alongside the main road yesterday on the mountain. They could have gone further up and camped in the woods instead of right by the road.

maybe they're observing easement rules - you can always camp next to a road, as its public domain... but hiking off the road to be hidden usually puts you on private property.

i'm not much for "camping," myself... only times i've done it are way out in the desert in the SW where it's 400 miles to the next town. it's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than motel living, though.

Not even a little bit. I even go the wrong way down the aisle that get marked with arrows. If you're concerned about me being in "your" airspace, you can get out of "mine" just as easy. What gets me is the obese wheelchair bound cows that suddenly think now is a great time to be health conscious. Ok Betty crocker.

maybe they're observing easement rules - you can always camp next to a road, as its public domain... but hiking off the road to be hidden usually puts you on private property.

i'm not much for "camping," myself... only times i've done it are way out in the desert in the SW where it's 400 miles to the next town. it's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than motel living, though.

This was somebody setting up their pickup with one of those tent things that goes off the back, on the main road up and over the mountain from Scholls to Newberg - Hwy 219. While they were well off the road (it was a pull off), it is a busy road during the day. I personally wouldn't camp there. There are back roads further up that they could camp near that get very little traffic because the only traffic is people who live on that road.

To each their own. I don't like to be on a busy road when I am traveling and then pulling off to sleep for the night.

I went to Safeway in St Helens Friday to refill prescriptions and pick up some food. They have the isles marked with arrows, one way travel. Almost no one was following the arrows and I pointed it out to half a dozen people, the aisle limit is three people, and they just looked at me with a blank stare and dead eyes. I will admit it was St Helens, home of the inbred, but really people can't you follow simple directions?

I got in line and accidentally cut off one women who was following the directions of two cart lengths I didn't know that she was in line and realized it and asked her if I just cut her off. She replied yes and I appoligized and got behind her. There was a guy that got into the line before I made my mistake wouldn't move to let me in behind her. Then he insisted on talking to me and kept getting closer and closer. I told him to back off several times before he got the message.

Next time, I was wearing gloves, Gloves and respirator. I carry them in the car, and will use them from now on.

Not even a little bit. I even go the wrong way down the aisle that get marked with arrows. If you're concerned about me being in "your" airspace, you can get out of "mine" just as easy. What gets me is the obese wheelchair bound cows that suddenly think now is a great time to be health conscious. Ok Betty crocker.

how's that cluster-b personality working out for you?

i have a lot of contempt for this bullbubblegum and how our society is just accepting it, but i have no judgment for individuals trying to manage their fear. fear is a powerful thing, and if you don't have a lot of it you're lucky. be grateful you don't live like that, and do what you can to not make it worse for others.

how's that cluster-b personality working out for you?

i have a lot of contempt for this bullbubblegum and how our society is just accepting it, but i have no judgment for individuals trying to manage their fear. fear is a powerful thing, and if you don't have a lot of it you're lucky. be grateful you don't live like that, and do what you can to not make it worse for others.
I admit, I had to look up what a cluster b is. I wouldn't think I have one of those conditions, but I could see how it looks that way.

Wife does all the household shopping and she's taking it seriously. I've been to Home Depot twice and did nothing different. Wife asked if I wiped off the cart, touched counters, touched my face, etc., etc. Yes to all the above. Everyone seemed to be keeping their distance. I appreciate that Home Depot, for the first time in my life, has cleared all the stacks of merchandise that usually obstruct the aisles.

Dang, after reading some of these posts I feel like I'm not doing enough. Only things I have changed is wiping down the cart with wipes, keeping my distance from people and avoiding touching my face/washing hands regularly as often as I can. I do avoid touching things I don't intend to buy....just looking with my eyes. I wear gloves when pumping gas but other than that no PPE.

wash your hands
don't touch your face
cover your cough

i've always been big on these three things, and i'm probably a little extra diligent about them now.. thats it for me.

listening to a neighbor motel-mate cough up a lung as i write this.. that's the only bubblegum that kinda gets my rankles rankling. though i can't blame anyone for coughing, it does seem like one could have the decency of being quieter about it.

Sometimes when some people cough or sneeze loudly even though they COVER their mouths, distance themselves and try to be POLITE with or withOUT the NEW 'virus' that is all over the NEWS - they can't HELP IT.

Meaning, they could have SEVERE allergies even from duct work - fans/blowing AIR in NEW OR OLD heating/cooling systems, indoor or outdoor allergies, CATS, BIRDS, RABBIT DANDER as an indoor pet, scents from ALL cleaners, perfume, soaps, forest fires, MOUNTAIN and VALLEY TEMP AIR INVERSIONS, dirty car pollution, cig smoke, stinky detergent from CLEAN clothes washing/softening, etc.

They could have severe SEASONAL or chronic sinus issues due to various things that make them COUGH, clear their throat or sneeze. COLD temps and that change of weather including being INDOORS. Throw in post nasal drip to that mess. Many people can't TAKE OTC or Rx meds for those issues due to SIDE EFFECTS and due to other issues long term too. So they DEAL with their issues naturally and with steam, neti pots - pros/cons there, vitamins/minerals, etc.

Some men on here talked about Rx meds and their side effects.

Many things make people cough not just colds, the flu, a virus, COPD, TB issues, DYING from many issues not just CANCER, chronic lung issues, etc.

I have a cousin close to my age (69) in MD that was diagnosed with a severe medical issue when he was going to Johns-Hopkins University. ONE lung was removed due to something that they found when he was a young adult. He STILL coughs a lot and is not contagious.

Sorry about what you have to hear and I hope that the person is not contagious.

Best wishes to you too.

Take care.

Cate

My husband picked up something for my back/neck issues the other day.

I called ahead to the store to see if they were still selling traditional/natural Made in Montana cotton or cotton/wool futons.

The lady said that they were open, doing the distance thing and that she would be wearing a mask. I did not ask her if she would be wearing gloves or not and I forgot to ASK him when he got home.

My husband said that he would be wearing gloves because he has always shopped with gloves on not just NOW. So he went to the store in town and the 2 owners/sewers were the ONLY people there besides him. He looked around, double checked my order via a telephone call even though I had it ALL written down, paid cash for the item (Dirty money! LOL) and came home with the SEALED - clean futon. He brought it in our house, took off his shoes, we wear SLIPPERS in our home, and washed/rinsed his hands well. Later on, we removed the futon from it's plastic wrapping, threw that away, scrubbed up and set up the futon on our solid oak floors for my neck/back issues.

WE would have done the same exact thing even if this so called NEW virus was around or NOT!

The futon has helped me quite a bit and I have owned one in the past too.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
My wife drove into Astoria after 18 days at home and said traffic was worse than normal and people were just as thick as if nothing was happening. She did note that there seemed to be a little more emphasis put on maintaining a distance while inside the stores and that Costco was maintaining occupancy numbers so I suppose that is helpful.

Sometimes when some people cough or sneeze loudly even though they COVER their mouths, distance themselves and try to be POLITE with or withOUT the NEW 'virus' that is all over the NEWS - they can't HELP IT.

Meaning, they could have SEVERE allergies even from duct work - fans/blowing AIR in NEW OR OLD heating/cooling systems, indoor or outdoor allergies, CATS, BIRDS, RABBIT DANDER as an indoor pet, scents from ALL cleaners, perfume, soaps, forest fires, MOUNTAIN and VALLEY TEMP AIR INVERSIONS, dirty car pollution, cig smoke, stinky detergent from CLEAN clothes washing/softening, etc.

They could have severe SEASONAL or chronic sinus issues due to various things that make them COUGH, clear their throat or sneeze. COLD temps and that change of weather including being INDOORS. Throw in post nasal drip to that mess. Many people can't TAKE OTC or Rx meds for those issues due to SIDE EFFECTS and due to other issues long term too. So they DEAL with their issues naturally and with steam, neti pots - pros/cons there, vitamins/minerals, etc.

Some men on here talked about Rx meds and their side effects.

Many things make people cough not just colds, the flu, a virus, COPD, TB issues, DYING from many issues not just CANCER, chronic lung issues, etc.

I have a cousin close to my age (69) in MD that was diagnosed with a severe medical issue when he was going to Johns-Hopkins University. ONE lung was removed due to something that they found when he was a young adult. He STILL coughs a lot and is not contagious.

Sorry about what you have to hear and I hope that the person is not contagious.

Best wishes to you too.

Take care.

Cate
I can't take basically any allergy meds. They all make me sleepy, especially the "non-drowsy" ones. At best, some of them might work one day and after that I might as well be doing shots of Nyquil. Right now my area is getting covered with the green pollen. I wake up every morning with my eyes glued shut and raw lungs. When I go out ijust pray that I don't cough or sneeze. Lol

I can't take basically any allergy meds. They all make me sleepy, especially the "non-drowsy" ones. At best, some of them might work one day and after that I might as well be doing shots of Nyquil. Right now my area is getting covered with the green pollen. I wake up every morning with my eyes glued shut and raw lungs. When I go out ijust pray that I don't cough or sneeze. Lol

I can TOTALLY relate to several allergies even though I am not allergic to pollen in general but to MANY OTHER THINGS as I got older.

With that said...

I am allergic to COTTONWOOD trees when the trees look like they have SNOW on them but that is the ONLY type of tree that I am allergic too. I noticed that when a friend had them in her woods in farm/lake country. That was MY first exposure to that tree compared to the East Coast (I was born and raised on the EC.) and when I moved to the Great Lakes region and got close to her woods where HER woods was NOT like that for me in my part of the GL region since it had different hard and soft woods and evergreens too. Same county but different townships.

I have some cottonwood trees around here in Montana. So I have the same issue.

There is one type of weed that grows out here but I can't think of the name of it now but that one WEED when it gets all dried out seems to bother me. My MT born/raised husband told me about it and HE has the same issues with that but he does not have it with cottonwood! Some type of maple tree bothers him and I NEVER heard of that before I met him. NOT sugar maples from the East Coast but some other type - not silver or red or Japanese or Norway. I forgot now. Sorry.

I can't take ANY OTC or Rx meds for my allergies.

I suck it up and DEAL WITH IT. He does too.

DRY air and super dry air- a lack of a GOOD amount of humidity - natural or manmade in the AIR can make MANY people COUGH A LOT. That is normal because you need a specific amount of healthy humidity in the AIR. That bothers me too. I used to tell this when I traveled a lot in MT. Plus I noticed it HERE - not as much RAIN, etc.

Speaking of SUPER DRY AIR - a friend of mine who moved from Maine to AZ could hardly DEAL with that and the super hard water. He moved back to Maine for the same .gov job. He lasted about 2 to 3 years in AZ.

Cate
PS: My post took before I was finished with it!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads