JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife is a nurse in a local hospital, when she gets home she changes out of scrubs on the front porch, we have acres and trees blocking any neighbors view. She leaves her work shoes in her car, and showers as soon as she enters the home. Going out we have gloves and masks and sanitizer in the vehicles ready to go. We practice good handwashing and not touching faces in hopes of not infecting our 3 young childen, my 4yr old daughter has health issues that land us in the hospital a few times a year on average, so its concerning. We know with her job that its a matter of when, not if we will contract this new virus. And today she calls me from work saying one of her pts that she had sat and sun just tested positive for corona virus. Time will tell how this pans out for all of us.

Was a certain case number threshold reached before you started wearing PPE, or have you done it from the beginning?

I know testing is limited in Oregon, but our ER and ICU isn't crammed full of serious/ critical cases yet (have close people that would know), and we have 1 official case, so I'm still waiting in order to preserve PPE.

Based more on the wifes concern level than anything honestly. Trying to keep her calm. Just wore the PPE for the first time when I went on Friday morning last week.

I am not too worried for myself, I am healthy as a horse. My concern is being under the weather and not being able to adequatly protect my family (no relatives up here) or my wife getting sick and losing her milk supply for our baby boy.

I also have at-risk family that might move in if things get really bad, so its easier to just start making this the "new normal" now rather than later, same thoughts on increased security.

What I am a bit worried about is seeing others with what could be seasonal allergies - but how do you know?
Or, the guy at the Rite-Aid who said he had just a 'common cold'

Normally things not concerned about.

Now, I sanitize my hands back at the car, and will often take a sanitizer wipe (or napkin) with me to open doors / push buttons.

No gloves, mask etc.

Squirt bottle of sanitizer in my shirt pocket.
Offsets the lump of a CW on my belt under the jacket.
Tube of wipes in the console of the car and truck.

After 64 years as a cash guy, I no longer handle it. All plastic now.
Keys, wallet, phone and debit/credit cards get a quick disinfecting wipe too.

Filter masks at the ready - haven't used them yet as I maintain my distance.

There's a box in the back of each vehicle, where anything I acquire is sprayed and wiped with Lysol. I've always been somewhat germophobic, knowing that people will use the bathroom and sneeze/cough on their hands and then grope every piece of produce in the grocery store since they honestly don't give a rat's a$$ who gets sick behind them.

Things that cannot be treated with disinfectant go into 3-day quarantine in a spare room at home. Even fresh produce, which I have now moved to the garage where it's 20 degrees cooler.
This includes mail, Amazon, whatever.

I wash constantly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW, here's a little "life hack"...

To reasonably conserve paper towels, etc., I disinfect, then wipe and dry everything with towels and dish cloths. Once used, they all go into their own laundry basket where they are washed separately from clothes, linens, etc.

Why? Because about 20 years ago I noticed all my blue sheets and shirts were slowly taking on a very unappealing purple tint. Finally realized it was because I'd been laundering my kitchen towels (filled with Clorox kitchen/bathroom spray) along with my clothes. Bleach, even in miniscule amounts, will eventually ruin colors in your best clothes if you don't segregate.

Last Edited:
What I am a bit worried about is seeing others with what could be seasonal allergies - but how do you know?
Or, the guy at the Rite-Aid who said he had just a 'common cold'

Normally things not concerned about.

Now, I sanitize my hands back at the car, and will often take a sanitizer wipe (or napkin) with me to open doors / push buttons.

No gloves, mask etc.
Not to mention asymptomatic spreaders, and those who are infectious before symptoms.

Ya, the PPE is kind of an all or nothing deal IMO... either wear it all and look like an idiot (oh well) or just be careful with touch.

When it gets widespread enough for me to feel like wearing it, I will be on increased alert for people who may decide their pissed at me for wearing it and decide they're gonna "show me what's what."
I've been waiting for stories of people in PPE getting assaulted, kind if surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Conscientious?

What does that mean?

I go out to buy groceries - what am I expected to do?

Dress up with a mask, gloves etc, full body suit with scuba in order to make you feel all better?

Nah, just get away from me.....wimp.

I'm more conscious of washing my hands on return to the house and not touching my face when out. I made it about 15 minutes with a nose itch before I couldn't take it anymore, grabbed my shirt up near the collar and then scratched that sumbubblegum. Delightful.

I have been wearing lightweight fleece jackets while out and rotate through them now, instead of wearing one until given a reason to clean it.

That's about the best I can do. I have a toddler and I'd have to duct tape her hands together to keep them from winding up on everything and then back in her mouth or on my face. Yea, I try to keep her from touching...everything...but I'm not going crazy about it.

Ok, OCD is now the order of the day.

But guys like me...rebel...no, no, no, I just won't comply...take your gloves and all the other bs safety gear and well, you know what you can do with them...

Mask, gloves, hat, wraparound eye pro.

Sanitzer in vehicle.

Clothes go in washing machine, I go in shower.

Groceries get wiped down with a Clorox wipe before being brought inside.

I am almost identical; and leave all not perishable food in the truck for one day before the house. Jacket I wear goes in the back yard for the day to vent out. I double up on mask, neckerchief plus windbreaker turtle neck pulled up over my nose. Always surgical gloves. Wrap around eye wear. Multiple disinfectants in the car and hand sanitizer time two. I am washing my hands with no less than two washes and I wash my face as well.

I just can't be bothered....

Will my indolent attitude kill me?

Maybe.

Am I in charge of the health of all those around me?

Nope.

I recall many years ago when a guy with active TB was rounded up by the guys in white when (in the next bunk) I was in a trans-lodge provided by the salvation army.

Oh yeah, I was eleven with my idiotic peripatetic father.

I was considered homeless, therefore no 'humans involved' so pathogens be damned.

All of this may be right on the money, but I have serious doubts....let's bring down President Trump now matter and cv is the answer.

I have been more aware about, not necessarily viruses, but more so that people are disgusting for many years now. I have always had a decent supply of hand soap and hand sanitizer. I have always wiped my cart with the sanitizing wipes, I use hand sanitizer when I get in my car after going to the grocery store (or any store I touched things in), or pumping gas, etc. Then I wash my hands when I get home to seal the deal. I am conscious about cross contamination in respect to keys, wallet, cards, phone, or parts of my car I touch, after going to the stores. I work in a lab where cross contamination could kill you so it becomes habit.

Not a germophobe, just aware.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads