JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"They'd rather sit on it than sell it at a loss."

If you acquired it as tangible value for when FRNs are just low grade azzwipe then the daily fluctuations are irrelevant. You haven't lost anything if you haven't sold it, and you still have it when Bartertown isn't taking heavily inflated FRNs.
How long until banknotes use exponential notation? Looks like Zimbabwe is leading the pack.
1630079457254.png

I looked at the spot price history for PMs - considerable volatility.

The old rule applies; buy low, sell high. Therefore, I would wait for a considerable dip, and I would look at the history of PMs over the last year or two to get a feel for what a "dip" would be - it may be a LOT more than you think.

Personally, I would buy silver in small denominations if I were buying it for barter and not speculation. Much easier to trade an ounce of silver for a pound of ammo at $25/oz than an ounce of gold at $2K/oz. - IMO.
Dips as low as $15/oz are not unheard of. Problem is, you don't know if it will ever do that again. On the flip side I'd hate to buy at $25, and then watch it drop to $15.

Another problem with PMs is that what a dealer sells for and what a dealer buys for are two different things. So you will see things like:
Silver Spot: $24.25 - We buy @$24.00 - We sell @27.75

So right there you lose $3.75 an ounce. Now if you are keeping it for financial collapse that may not matter. But it is something to consider.

Fools buy physical gold. Physical gold ownership involves a number of costs, including storage and insurance costs, and the transaction fees and markups associated with buying and selling the commodity.

Gold ETF if you want gold as part of your investments or expect currency instability

Right now circulated peace dollars sell for 20$ and circulated Morgans are selling for 22$ unless you have a rare coin.
At least that is what I can get for them. Think I will hold onto them for a while.

Fools buy physical gold. Physical gold ownership involves a number of costs, including storage and insurance costs, and the transaction fees and markups associated with buying and selling the commodity.

Gold ETF if you want gold as part of your investments or expect currency instability
Now that right there is not a very complete comment. You should be ashamed of yourself for your first line.

Bringing up the fact that storage can be a problem but how hard is it to have a safe. Not much since you pretty much have to have one for firearm storage and protection. #2 Gold especially does not take up much room. Do you have any clue what $60,000 worth of gold looks like?
I'll give you a hint a 3" x 5" x 2" small shipping box will easily hold that in gold coins.

Gold ETF's at least most of them are based on paper gold. Just like SLV is based on paper silver. It supposedly exists somewhere but anyone who knows anything knows the paper does not translate to physical and when the market explodes there is not going to be any way to get physical. On top of that ETF's are open to even more manipulation by the trading houses and have their own sets of commissions, fees, and charges. I would put it this way. Only fools buy only ETF's, stocks, and crypto. Smart investors diversify across many types including physical.

Investing in an ETF can be a part of an overall investment strategy. But depending on it to store value. Not such a good idea. Only Physical has intrinsic value. Also, buying and selling to private skips many of the upcharges and sale charges dealers will charge. So worrying about charges may not exist. Selling on here is easy and you will get a better price than the dealer would offer anyway.

Right now circulated peace dollars sell for 20$ and circulated Morgans are selling for 22$ unless you have a rare coin.
At least that is what I can get for them. Think I will hold onto them for a while.
A lot of the price depend on the coins' condition. That price point is either for very poor shape coins or the price quote you got is way low. Most of us who collect in bulk would be paying you a bit more than that!

A lot of the price depend on the coins' condition. That price point is either for very poor shape coins or the price quote you got is way low. Most of us who collect in bulk would be paying you a bit more than that!
So what should I expect to get for them currently if I was to liquidate them and where would I go?

So what should I expect to get for them currently if I was to liquidate them and where would I go?
The forums are many times the best place. Not much has been up lately but there is always plenty of interest both here and on Waguns.
If you look at the websites like sdbullion.com, providentmetals.com, silvergoldbull.com, monumentmetals.com, jmbullion.com and others you can get an idea of what dealers are selling the coins at. That is the ceiling, remember that condition makes a big difference.
Many of us are collecting for silver value and will pay a little extra for the fact they are old and legal currency. Other are collectors and will pay a bit more.

When I have bought or sold I usually try to find a happy medium. Looking for prices below the dealers but above their buy-back price (a couple will tell you what their buy-back price is on the website). https://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html will give you the melt value.

How many are you thinking about selling? I and/or some others I know would likely be interested.
If you are interested let's take this to PM and we can talk actual numbers.

I have about 80 Morgans and about 120 peace dollars - n ot sure that I necessarily want to liquidate right now - just getting a feeling for value

If you believe the market will collapse so that you need physical gold you not just a fool you are insane. Might as well plan for the day when aliens invade the earth with robotic dinosaurs

If you believe the market will collapse so that you need physical gold you not just a fool you are insane. Might as well plan for the day when aliens invade the earth with robotic dinosaurs
Well, I guess we will see in that day whether history will repeat itself and who is right.
Good day and since you cannot disagree without being disagreeable I am done responding.

Can you tell me how physical gold in my safe can get stolen by a hacker?

Precious Metals are controlled by the puppet masters, same as cash, stock market and banks.

In the end maybe you could purchase a loaf of bread with a goldpiece but you ain't getting any change back.

I 100% disagree
if it can happen elsewhere it can happen here.

I am just guessing because as a simple man I know nothing for sure.

I suspect that by Christmas the supply chains are going to be so bad that the dollar will no longer be the world currency. China will withhold products from the world until every country accepts their currency as the world currency.

The reason I believe this to be true is no country can dominate the world unless the world accepts their currency. CCP is all about world domination.

When the dollar loses its world statis its value will crash...and then reset as electronic currency.

Last Edited:
Precious Metals are controlled by the puppet masters, same as cash, stock market and banks.

In the end maybe you could purchase a loaf of bread with a goldpiece but you ain't getting any change back.
But at least I'll eat for the next day or 2 And I didn't have to trade ammo or a gun
What will you be trading for that loaf of bread?

ETA What you don't seem to get is at that point in a collapse your puppet masters no longer control much of anything. That gold coin gets me what the person I'm trading with thinks its worth. Nobody else has a say, just me and the person I'm bartering with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top