JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Easy........FN/FAL!!!! nothing it cant do. Ammo every where, and cheep enough to practice with often! versatile and upgrade able. I have mine set up with match rear iron sights good to a grand, and combat tough! change top cover and can add a A-COG ! Change top cover again, and can now it has a 3.5X15X50 night force on it and can reach out with ease! o_O Love the old rem 600 dog leg, great proven rifle! have something like it in .338 win mag, built on a Savage mod 10 receiver. Need to kill a Peterbuilt, this will do it!

It used to be AKs (7.62x39)
Now its my M85PV (5.56x45).. Cheap common ammo out the yin yang and soft soft recoil for a cheek welded pistol.. I just need a 4 piece flash hider due to the short barrel muzzle flash.

Its quickly becoming my favorite firearm aside from my new found love for glocks.

Easy........FN/FAL!!!! nothing it cant do. Ammo every where, and cheep enough to practice with often! versatile and upgrade able. I have mine set up with match rear iron sights good to a grand, and combat tough! change top cover and can add a A-COG ! Change top cover again, and can now it has a 3.5X15X50 night force on it and can reach out with ease! o_O Love the old rem 600 dog leg, great proven rifle! have something like it in .338 win mag, built on a Savage mod 10 receiver. Need to kill a Peterbuilt, this will do it!

I think we may be related! :s0034::s0130:

I actually would see one of my Yugo SKS's as a very study all around.
The fact the Yugo version allows for semi and manual as well as a bayonet,
easy to clean, fairly fast to load fixed magazine. I would choose it over all even over our AK's.
It is by far not best performer in many areas. But in many areas being able to perform adequately does have merits. These rifles are simple heavy built parts that in a SHTF would be ideal for rugged long term use with very few worries. The SKS Yugo is one of the few rifles that can have damaged parts and still load and fire. The gas port, magazine and return spring can be non-functional and this rifle still could be operated very few rifles can do what the SKS can and at the low cost of purchase in my book makes them
my top pick.

I changed my mind about my perfect centerfire rifle. At the moment its my PWS Mk216. Its short enough and still packs quite a punch out to 600 yards, and with the proper gas adjustment it has a similar muzzle rise to my 5.56, if not slightly less. Balances just like a regular AR.

Only downside is that with scope and bipod its about 11 pounds.

Just about any WW-2 battle rifle works for me. My old custom target 03 Springfield would do nicely as long as I didn't have to shoot and scoot. M-14 makes a good all round fighting rifle as well. still gotta go with the FN/FAL! Still the best and most versatile of any fighting rifle out there, bar none. Mine will match my M1A match all the way to redline, and is easier to shoot. Tough as the ol M1A is, still gotta go with the FAL. Don't like he M-16/M-4 and AR variants, not enough stopping power with that little round, we had a lot of problems with "Ice Picking" especially when we switched to greentips. The old 55gr. was better! As a civilian, that changes things some what, I could use good varmint wackin stuff, or good hunting ammo, and I might change my mind there!!!;)

I love this discussion! I would be comfortable with most rifles listed!
I think I should chime in here at this point with some things that I'm not sure have been considered. One; any rifle is only as good as the sights it has, and as such, i would insist on a good set of iron sights with long sight radius. Second; while a scope looks sexy, it needs to be used in addition to, rather then a replacement for irons. Scopes can get damaged pretty easy, and with out irons, you have no means of sighting targets. Third; Knowing how to use your irons. Many do not know how, or have gotten so used to optics that they forgot how to shoot "old School" Last would be ammo availability and selection of type for different needs. A one source, or limited selection has a lot of disadvantages. As an example; 6.5X55 Swede. great round but very hard to come by in any thing but crappy quasi hunting stuff, or mil spec fmj bullets that don't help you kill cleanly and humanly! As you can see from my past postings I choose a good reliable older battle rifle in a semi auto with awesome iron sights and a very easy to find caliber. It is the perfect all around use and can be field modded very quick and easy and used in ways very few bolt actions could ever hope to match. :)

CZ557.jpeg
My C.Z. 557 Carbine in .30-06.
Easy to carry , I shoot well with it and ammo is easy to find.
Andy

Last Edited:
As you can see from my past postings I choose a good reliable older battle rifle in a semi auto with awesome iron sights and a very easy to find caliber. It is the perfect all around use and can be field modded very quick and easy and used in ways very few bolt actions could ever hope to match. :)

A man after my own heart. Irons R Us, baby! An old man who knows how to shoot armed with a proper rifle is not to be taken lightly...

I actually would see one of my Yugo SKS's as a very study all around.
The fact the Yugo version allows for semi and manual as well as a bayonet,
easy to clean, fairly fast to load fixed magazine. I would choose it over all even over our AK's.
It is by far not best performer in many areas. But in many areas being able to perform adequately does have merits. These rifles are simple heavy built parts that in a SHTF would be ideal for rugged long term use with very few worries. The SKS Yugo is one of the few rifles that can have damaged parts and still load and fire. The gas port, magazine and return spring can be non-functional and this rifle still could be operated very few rifles can do what the SKS can and at the low cost of purchase in my book makes them
my top pick.

Great little rifle, solid, well made, tough as hell. I keep one buried in a plastic pipe packed in grease with 200 rounds. If I ever needed it, just have to dig it up. I keep another under the hood of my truck. Same set up. Just cut the cap off and away we go! Total investment for both including ammo and the plastic pipes is only about $300 bucks. Life is surely worth a lot more then that!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top