JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
image.jpg Trying again for a pic
My 308

No such thing as the perfect rifle for all occasions. That's why I like to have lots and lots of rifles. Most the people who know me would probably guess I would grab a .30-06, because I am a bit of a whore for it. I think I have eight or nine at the moment.

But the gun that more often than not leaves the house with me is this:

Just a "simple" .30-30 Marlin. I may have done a "little" work to it (Barrel, stock, sights, internal, cerakote, etc). Most often when it comes to work with me, it doesn't have the scope on it. I have found the return to zero acceptable when it comes off and goes back on. If I had the forethought years ago, I would have bought a 1894 .357 and done this to it, but the quality has become iffy and the cost has skyrocketed. So for now, a simple .30-30 will do. Works on deer, elk, and would probably two legged vermin, if God forbid, the need arises. And thanks to a butcher friend who I lent the rifle to, I know it drops buffalo with a close range head shot as well, so I feel confident... :)

And generally I can walk to and from my truck carrying it without scaring the sheeple into calling the police.... o_O

Attachments

• image_zps54046c86.jpe
    image_zps54046c86.jpe
    24.2 KB · Views: 540
Tough call. I don't know. Each one has a different job to do. .22lr isn't centerfire so I can't choose that but otherwise I would.

I guess it would be my Remington 1100 with a fully rifled 22" barrel and iron rifle sights. With the Remington Premier bonded Accutip it's good to 200 yards and will knock down anything. It isn't scary looking with its beautiful walnut and all.

My model 70 in -06, mundain possibly but she's absolutely my favorite dancing partner.

Sort of ditto, for me my long action Model 700 in Ought 6.

We may have some "discussion" on favorite brand of action, but I bet we see eye to eye on several things.

Others can call the 30-06 what they want, but I know it's everything I'll likely ever need. :)

Yes Sir Orygun, I've taken far to many animals with that caliber that went down within a step or two and all the "ultra magnum" and "short magnum" talk in the world won't convince me otherwise.

The OP asked which one, and that would be my pick, that's not saying there aren't others at my disposal and choice.

image.jpg It would be the 6.5 grendel I built. 1/4 minute accurate even though all too often I am not. I can clear my house with it and can hit reliably to 1000 meters. I can also kill any game animal in my area if I need to. And it weighs less than 10 lbs. with bipod and sling.

My AR. As much as I love my PSL, hard to find ammo for it even on a good day, unless I want to hit everything but paper/steel. >.> They're both 1-1.5 MOA with good ammo anyways...

If the question was "what grab-n-go caliber" I'd have said 30-06 but my '06 is a very pretty Ruger #1 safe queen and the Browning 338 is a field gun so as a grab-n-go gun it gets the nod.

USGI M1 Carbine with 4 bandoleers of ammunition simply because it is light, that is less than 25# for carbine and ammo. This leaves weight for me to take food, water, poncho, para cord, bic lighters and knife.

The OP said, 'Walk away'. I smile when I see these 30-06 and several hundred rounds of ammo. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads