JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
in my book the buyer pays the background check.

but in reality it complicates the sale and can possibly mean I wont get the true used value out of the sale. Say if I bought a gun for $500 new and barely shot it, never carried it. If I asked $400 that would be a great deal since its in mint condition, but if the background check cost $50 they why would anyone take the risk on a used gun when they can buy it new for $50 more?
Same situation on the other end...I buy a gun for 500 offer it for sale for 400 and then have to pay 50 for the transfer...I have now sold it for 350....
You buy a new gun and have to pay tax on it up here...the transfer fee is cheaper than tax

Same situation on the other end...I buy a gun for 500 offer it for sale for 400 and then have to pay 50 for the transfer...I have now sold it for 350....
You buy a new gun and have to pay tax on it up here...the transfer fee is cheaper than tax

yup, its an endless loop that's killed the used market. It generally doesn't make sense to buy used anymore since they are registered anyways. I'm sure some good deals can be found, but my guess is that most of the time its because someone didn't do their homework.

yup, its an endless loop that's killed the used market. It generally doesn't make sense to buy used anymore since they are registered anyways. I'm sure some good deals can be found, but my guess is that most of the time its because someone didn't do their homework.
I agree... I am in the middle of selling one my wife just had to have until she shot a Glock then didn't want it any more..in her defense she does shoot better with the glock so I guess I will give her a pass....this time lol

Here's my question: why do so many classifieds say "buyer pays transfer fees"? I'm a simple man so perhaps I just don't understand. However, it seems to me that if the gun is registered in the owners name, it would be their burden to have it removed from their name. Or at least a 50/50 split.

Just looking for some insight as to why that seems to be the standard?

Buyer could just up the price and say they will cover the transfer fees. It just depends on how smart the seller is. I have seen the opposite. To me a better selling point would be to for the seller to cover transfer fees. Kind of like free shipping . How many of us like free shipping? all of us right? But its always factored into the price.

I think the reason for saying that is a seller wanting to list the lowest possible price he is willing to let the firearm go for and maybe the buyer has a dealer where they can get a better deal on the transfer.

And with that being said If I am paying for the transfer I want to decide where that is going to happen.

Buyer could just up the price and say they will cover the transfer fees. It just depends on how smart the seller is. I have seen the opposite. To me a better selling point would be to for the seller to cover transfer fees. Kind of like free shipping . How many of us like free shipping? all of us right? But its always factored into the price.

I think the reason for saying that is a seller wanting to list the lowest possible price he is willing to let the firearm go for and maybe the buyer has a dealer where they can get a better deal on the transfer.

And with that being said If I am paying for the transfer I want to decide where that is going to happen.
Here we go with the loop again.....if I'm selling a gun in Olympia why would I want to drive to Seattle to sell it? I have bought several guns from this site and others...I know what I am paying for and where I am going when I agree to the price. Does anyone call walmart and say ...hey sell me that hair dryer for 10 dollars less and I don't want to pay tax and deliver it to me where I want it??? You either want it or you dont...that much is up to you but when you want it for the price you see why do you expect someone to drive all over hell and back and have to pay for you to buy a gun?

I get it everybody wants a great price on something and it should be fair if you don't think the price is fair or you don't want to pay the transfer then don't buy it if I don't sell it because my price is too high or someone won't pay the transfer that's on me

Here we go with the loop again.....if I'm selling a gun in Olympia why would I want to drive to Seattle to sell it? I have bought several guns from this site and others...I know what I am paying for and where I am going when I agree to the price. Does anyone call walmart and say ...hey sell me that hair dryer for 10 dollars less and I don't want to pay tax and deliver it to me where I want it??? You either want it or you dont...that much is up to you but when you want it for the price you see why do you expect someone to drive all over hell and back and have to pay for you to buy a gun?

You're taking it too literally obviously in a situation like that I simply would not have even inquired in the first place. I don't expect any one to see it my way. If fact i prefer you to see it your way if thats what puts a smile on your face. Never did I say you should do anything. If someone one wants a sell something bad enough they will bend if someone wants something bad enough they will bend and to the rest of us it really does not matter as most of will not make the drive either way it all depends on the individual.

This whole thread was basically a nit pick in the first place. I am not saying that thats a bad thing, just that is and is a matter of opinion . Maybe the OP just would rather have the seller up the price to cover the fees and not note that on the add. It all boils down to what the final cost is where it is and the agreement between the buyer and the seller, and if the buyer is willing to pay it + or including the fee.

If i see a gun for $600 gun for $500+40 transfer fee that I want I will buy it if I see a $600 gun for $540 with transfer fee that I want I will buy it If I see $600 gun for $600 +$40 tranfer fee I wont even inquire because I will go buy that $600 at the gun store.

I stated that is should be a ffl of my choice is a personal choice since I am paying for it but I would never expect some one to make at 50 mile trip to do it and If I don't feel up to making that trip I wont but I am sure someone closer will. Never meant to get some "loop" started what ever that means.''

And when it comes to marketing and this is what may have sparked the OP to start this tread is that If a person says the price includes the transfer fee that right there gives the power to the seller to where its going to happen it says that the seller has already picked out a place and factored in the price.

By saying that buyer covers transfer it kind of says the buyer has a choice. Either way the buyer will most likely be paying for as the seller has already considered it and factored it into the price. Just one sounds better than the other to a buyer. Thats all.

Last Edited:
G

Guess I'm just a skeptic. Kinda still feel like the owner would want it "out of their name". If not, what's all the concern about the new background check on private sales law? If it's just a formality, why don't we all just see it as a tax? Cause it's not?

Its not a tax but it is a big pain the the @ss. Arranging a time when the dealer is open, going to the dealer, paying the dealer his extortion money etc. All with zero tangible benefit.

You're taking it too literally obviously in a situation like that I simply would not have even inquired in the first place. I don't expect any one to see it my way. If fact i prefer you to see it your way if thats what puts a smile on your face. Never did I say you should do anything. If someone one wants a sell something bad enough they will bend if someone wants something bad enough they will bend and to the rest of us it really does not matter as most of will not make the drive either way it all depends on the individual.

This whole thread was basically a nit pick in the first place. I am not saying that thats a bad thing, just that is and is a matter of opinion . Maybe the OP just would rather have the seller up the price to cover the fees and not note that on the add. It all boils down to what the final cost is where it is and the agreement between the buyer and the seller, and if the buyer is willing to pay it + or including the fee.

If i see a gun for $600 gun for $500+40 transfer fee that I want I will buy it if I see a $600 gun for $540 with transfer fee that I want I will buy it If I see $600 gun for $600 +$40 tranfer fee I wont even inquire because I will go buy that $600 at the gun store.

I stated that is should be a ffl of my choice is a personal choice since I am paying for it but I would never expect some one to make at 50 mile trip to do it and If I don't feel up to making that trip I wont but I am sure someone closer will. Never meant to get some "loop" started what ever that means.''

And when it comes to marketing and this is what may have sparked the OP to start this tread is that If a person says the price includes the transfer fee that right there gives the power to the seller to where its going to happen it says that the seller has already picked out a place and factored in the price.

By saying that buyer covers transfer it kind of says the buyer has a choice. Either way the buyer will most likely be paying for as the seller has already considered it and factored it into the price. Just one sounds better than the other to a buyer. Thats all.
The spark came from my lack of understanding as to why "buyer pays" is the norm. As far as nit picking, I disagree. $40 extra on a $400 gun is 10% and I thought that much extra was worth asking the question.

I can't believe this thread is still going...

Last transfer I did in WA was $22.

Even for a $200 gun (it was $700) that's not that bad. It's a box of shells to get it in your name - what's the hiccupo_O.

In my ads I state the burden of transfer is on the buyer and I specifically list where I'm willing to meet for the transfer.

As the buyer, they can factor in gas, time and transfer and make their own dessicion if it's a good deal for them or not.

Why 4 pages on this???????:eek:

To me, paying a one time fee for an asset is just the price of doing business, but on the other hand, a lot of people are willing to spend $4 to $7 bucks, plus tip, on a triple whammy non GMO soy latte that was hand picked by third world virgins at Starbucks everyday on the way to work.

To me, paying a one time fee for an asset is just the price of doing business, but on the other hand, a lot of people are willing to spend $4 to $7 bucks, plus tip, on a triple whammy non GMO soy latte that was hand picked by third world virgins at Starbucks everyday on the way to work.

Funny:D. I thought about the same thing but just didn't post it lol.

When I buy a gun at a gun store, I pay the price and transfer and background check fee.
I buy a gun from private party, I pay the price and transfer and background check fee.
The price and fee = cost (in my mind)

An NF member bought a Ruger, paid price and fee (cost). Gun was not a good fit for him.
NF member sold that Ruger to me. I paid his asking price and the fee (cost).
Transfer was done at <broken link removed> .

Change the word "gun" for "car"
Buy car for price, DEQ it, Register it = cost

Why 4 pages on this???????

im just in it for the conversation....

popcorn.gif

(non GMO popcorn of course....)

That information goes on the 4473 and filed in the dealers files/books. Later on they either send them into the ATF if they go out of business where they go into the Indiana Jones warehouse or they destroy them after a number of years. When the dealer calls in for a background check to NICS he doesnt give them the make, model or serial number. He just gives them they type of firearm. i.e. rifle, pistol etc.

Which sets up a theoretical tracing system for every gun that goes through the system. This is a roundabout way of accomplishing the goal of registration. I see no real difference.

Which sets up a theoretical tracing system for every gun that goes through the system. This is a roundabout way of accomplishing the goal of registration. I see no real difference.

I have a concealed license. They know I have at least one... What's another dozen or four going to matter?

If it comes to confiscation then they will have a metal detector and will probably hit all the houses not listed as gun owners as well just in case... Tin foil hat and all.

I have a concealed license. They know I have at least one... What's another dozen or four going to matter?

If it comes to confiscation then they will have a metal detector and will probably hit all the houses not listed as gun owners as well just in case... Tin foil hat and all.
Would the tin foil hat make the metal detectors go off? Maybe some r&d should be done to come up with a polymer that is tin foil impregnated?
Btw...how many buy guns with credit cards or debit cards???? Think that can't be traced? .....nope I didn't buy a gun it was 1200 worth of holsters from cabelas. I really like playing Cowboys and Indians and wanted alot of holsters....all of my guns are plastic.lol
They already know we have guns...it's not a secret as much as we would like it to be.

if the background check is not a registration...
Then what is the make, model, and serial number part of the "background" check for?
Long story short: In Oregon, the FFL in question submits the transaction (including all details on the firearm) to OSP who submits it to NICS (the FBI). They get an approval, and transfer the firearm. OSP maintains the record of the transaction for 5 years (maybe more). The FFL maintains the paper copy for 20 years for transferred firearms. After 20 years the FFL contacts the ATF and says something like "YO! I got a metric butt ton of paperwork here!" After some time (government entity) the ATF sends someone out to collect the aged forms. In the event that an FFL closes shop before 20 years passes, they forward all forms to the ATF.

The reason the OSP and all others want the identifying info from the firearm is because they run a stolen gun check at the same time they run a background check. The 4473 is doing two things simultaneously (in theory). It is ensuring that the buyer has legal right to purchase the gun, and it is ensuring that the gun being bought has not been reported to the FBI as stolen.

OSP charges the FFL $10 for the check. The closer to $10 the FFL charges for the transfer, the closer to a zero sum game it becomes. Think about how long the FFL is involved in the transaction. If everything is perfect and the buyer knows the 4473 like the back of his or her hand, it still takes a half hour. Worst case? I've spent hours with customers trying to figure out what combination of documents they have that meet OSPs requirements, correcting a bad 4473, and waiting for response. Generally I think $30 - $50 is in the reasonable range for PPT. A new gun however? Any shop that charges more than the $10 fee the OSP charges them is straight ripping you off. The sellers time is built into the cost of new guns. Also one of the reasons that new guns have painfully slim margins.

Sorry, that turned into a long story long, but I hope I clarified some things for people. If I didn't, comment and I'll try to answer in a timely fashion. Not trying to hijack the thread, of course.

Edited for the placement of a comma

The reason the OSP and all others want the identifying info from the firearm is because they run a stolen gun check at the same time they run a background check.
This is not true. Gun stores have never sold stolen firearms and the reason the antis wanted UBC's is to create a registry of private gun sales under the guise of preventing felons from buying guns thru private sales (felons get their guns thru straw purchases and theft). That is why they need the make model and serial number with the UBC, even though options have been presented to achieve the same goal (thru CHLs) without a registration.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top