JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Etrain, agree. I havent sold a gun in years but not looking forward to the process when I do... And will do it the same as you, full disclosure.

Yeah, the whold UBC thing is a registration scam. Its resulted in zero arrests for prohibited people attempting to buy guns and it was sold to the masses under the lie that private sales was the primary way felons illegally accquire their guns, it never was...

Etrain, agree. I havent sold a gun in years but not looking forward to the process when I do... And will do it the same as you, full disclosure.

Yeah, the whold UBC thing is a registration scam. Its resulted in zero arrests for prohibited people attempting to buy guns and it was sold to the masses under the lie that private sales was the primary way felons illegally accquire their guns, it never was...

Thankfully, I'm about done with private sales. I continued for a while after 941 as I was still adjusting my collection. From this point on, I'm planning, unless conditions I can't foresee warrant, on keeping what I have and only adding to it by buying new. The fun of private sales, meeting folks, has been lost to political extremism which has already been shown, has had no impact on gun violence of any kind. Once again, citizens pay the price for the extremism of the political elite.

.....And when a well publicized illegal Transfer took place NO ONE gave a care about it!

.....And when a well publicized illegal Transfer took place NO ONE gave a care about it!

Exactly, but thats because the guy that broke the law was anti gun making an anti-gun political statement.... Yet despite all this there are still many "pro gun" owners that do not believe recent background check laws are not intended as a registration scheme for law abiding gun owners.

Exactly, but thats because the guy that broke the law was anti gun making an anti-gun political statement.... Yet despite all this there are still many "pro gun" owners that do not believe recent background check laws are not intended as a registration scheme for law abiding gun owners.

Isn't that the sad truth :( :mad:

I respectfully disagree with the OP's opinion. When you buy a gun from FFL, you don't expect them to pay for your transfer. It's buyer's burden to pay for the transfer fee. I'm not even stating that in my ads.

So, to clarify; is there a difference between the Background check fee paid to the dealer and a Transfer Fee? I just bought a gun, and I paid the owner for the pistol, and I paid $25 to the shop to run the NICS on myself. Is there some other fee involved?

So, to clarify; is there a difference between the Background check fee paid to the dealer and a Transfer Fee? I just bought a gun, and I paid the owner for the pistol, and I paid $25 to the shop to run the NICS on myself. Is there some other fee involved?

The "fee" is what an FFL charges to transfer the firearm from buyer to seller. Some may break it down differently. Some states there is a set fee that is charged to the FFL to run the NICS check, then of course most if not all FFL's want some money to do the paper work and keep the record. So bottom line the "fee" is whatever the FFL wants to be paid to do the transfer. They vary greatly from one place to another. Its why when I sell a gun now I put it in the ad, buyer pays the fee. As I leave it up to the buyer who he wants to use to do the transfer. He can shop it around and see who he wants to pay and how much they are going to charge him. There is no set price on this. Dealers can charge any amount they can get people to pay.

I may be missing something here- did some of you say that you paid a "background check fee" when buying a gun from a dealer at their store?

I have never, in 20 years of living and buying guns across the US, heard of this. The price on the tag is the price you pay, plus sales tax if you live in a state with it. Any store trying to tack on this bogus fee wouldn't get my business.

The background check for privates sales has a fee because the dealer is providing a (government mandated, no value added) service as a third party to the buyer and seller. If the gun comes out of the dealer's stock, the time to complete the background check is just a part of them doing business.

Here are the options:
a) buyer purchases a used gun for $400 and pays transfer fee
b) buyer purchases a used gun for $425 and seller "pays" transfer fee
c) buyer purchases a new gun for $500 + tax, doesn't pay any transfer fee
d) buyer doesn't purchase any gun, blames those who voted for I-594

Last Edited:
Sorry to toss gas on the thread, but it struck me very funny this morning so I'll say it.

Not sure why this is an issue. Reference pages and pages of- I will not comply!:p

:s0013::s0013::s0013:

Either You AGREE or You DISAGREE there Really is no Middle Ground!!!

I Personally think this Thread should be Closed by the Moderators with Zero Change of Reopening!!!

I may be missing something here- did some of you say that you paid a "background check fee" when buying a gun from a dealer at their store?

I have never, in 20 years of living and buying guns across the US, heard of this. The price on the tag is the price you pay, plus sales tax if you live in a state with it. Any store trying to tack on this bogus fee wouldn't get my business.

The background check for privates sales has a fee because the dealer is providing a (government mandated, no value added) service as a third party to the buyer and seller. If the gun comes out of the dealer's stock, the time to complete the background check is just a part of them doing business.
Oregon law requires the FFL and private sellers to do a background check, through the OSP who charges $10 fee per NICs check:rolleyes: and the same for gun show vendor. Some FFLs include the background fee with the Out The Door Prices on their guns... most charge an extra amount for the SB941 private transfers as well as out of State transfers.o_O:confused:

Isn't this kind of like complaining that the taxes on gasoline are hidden/not-hidden? Why does the gas dealer get to tack on money for taxes? Shouldn't they just pay it out of their own pockets? Why are they allowed to advertise prices that don't include state sales tax? Why does Walmart get to add transportation costs, employee costs, advertising costs, parking lot maint, etc, to the cost of their products... shouldn't they just be paying those out of their pockets? How bout your cellphone bill... check out what added fees are on there!!! :eek::eek::eek: Telephone bill: we are still paying excise taxes that go back to the Spanish/American war... charge that hill Teddy!!

What is strange to me is not that dealers don't include the extra fees built into the price on their own firearms sales, but that people don't understand how business works, and don't care as long as somebody else pays the freight! And THAT is why payroll tax deduction should be stopped... if people had to come up with the $$$ each year, high taxes would be OVER!!!

What is this "registered" you speak of? Not one of my firearms is registered.

If the purpose of a background check is to prevent the bad people from buying guns, then why does the 4473 ask for
the make model and serial number of the gun?

"None of your guns are registered?" Whatever helps you sleep at night-------

Oregon law requires the FFL and private sellers to do a background check, through the OSP who charges $10 fee per NICs check:rolleyes: and the same for gun show vendor. Some FFLs include the background fee with the Out The Door Prices on their guns... most charge an extra amount for the SB941 private transfers as well as out of State transfers.o_O:confused:

Hmm. That's news to me. I guess I'm glad I don't live in OR, although WA is just as bad now. I've never been anywhere where the state did their own background check or charged a fee-just NICS.

Hmm. That's news to me. I guess I'm glad I don't live in OR, although WA is just as bad now. I've never been anywhere where the state did their own background check or charged a fee-just NICS.
Yea... Oregon Legislature passed the OSP fee law quite a while ago, the same time they added the BG check requirement for gun shows, closing the "gun show loophole" :rolleyes: their reasoning was that OSP is "qualified" to do the NICS check, and set up the $10 fee as a way to fund the OSP firearm check system :rolleyes::rolleyes: even though elsewhere its free for FFLs to do the NICS check on their own :rolleyes:

I realize that the first 6 1/2 pages of this thread are a couple years old, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.

It seems that the OP for the thread has a common misconception about "transfers". It seems that he thinks it's much the same as transferring ownership of an automobile, where the DMV transfers title and registration from one person to another.

Most of us know that while a 4473 form is de facto registration, it's not actually a true registration. The state has a record that a BGC was completed on you for said firearm, but not subsequently for anyone else, so logically you must still own it. It's not technically registered to you or "in your name".

The logic of the op breaks down though, because if gun transfers and registration were the same as cars, how many people here have ever bought a car and had the seller pay for the title transfer and registration?

And BTW, I have guns that are not "registered", de facto or otherwise, because I bought them many years ago when legally buying a used gun required nothing more than cash and a handshake. Are they supposed to be registered? How do I go about doing that? (That's a rhetorical question)

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top