JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Here's my question: why do so many classifieds say "buyer pays transfer fees"? I'm a simple man so perhaps I just don't understand. However, it seems to me that if the gun is registered in the owners name, it would be their burden to have it removed from their name. Or at least a 50/50 split.

Just looking for some insight as to why that seems to be the standard?

Both OR and WA have required background checks for all, but very few, firearm transactions and they are stating that the buyer has to pay said background check fees.

Ray

It's really up to the seller whether they want to build the cost of the transfer into the price of the gun or not. The buyer can agree and buy it or disagree and take a pass on it.

It's really up to the seller whether they want to build the cost of the transfer into the price of the gun or not. The buyer can agree and buy it or disagree and take a pass on it.
I agree, it just seems kinda used car salesmanish to not include it...

And I still see the burden on the owner.

However, it seems to me that if the gun is registered in the owners name, it would be their burden to have it removed from their name. Or at least a 50/50 split.

What is this "registered" you speak of? Not one of my firearms is registered.

Here's my question: why do so many classifieds say "buyer pays transfer fees"? I'm a simple man so perhaps I just don't understand. However, it seems to me that if the gun is registered in the owners name, it would be their burden to have it removed from their name. Or at least a 50/50 split.

well...you are buying a gun and not paying tax on it so spending 20 bucks to transfer a 1000.00 gun is a pretty good deal

To use another's phrasing: What is this tax you speak of? We don't pay tax down here.
no its included in your prices...so in a round about way you do pay taxes you just dont see it that way, thats why y'all come up here to shop...Gotta get a Orygun license...lol

I beg to differ on going up to Washington to buy stuff tax free.
Have you been to a Home Depot or Costco on the Oregon side of the Columbia, particularly in the Portland area. All I mostly see is Washington license plates in the parking lots.

Last Edited:
I beg to differ on going up to Washington to buy stuff tax free.
Have you been to a Home Depot or Costco on the Oregon side of the Columbia, particularly in the Portland area. All I see if mostly Washington license plates in the parking lots.
but its just so pretty down there...and with such liberal gun laws I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't go there.....

To the OP, I hear ya and ive been on both sides of the coin. As a seller I want to get as much adms I can out of what I sell so generally ill just mark up my price with an included transfer fee factored in. the average is around 25 + $10 background fee. As a buyer, shoot I dont wanna pay more than the asking price. I find it fair in most cases to at least split it in half but its really up to whoever ;)

My view of it is that it's up to the buyer to decide where they want to do the transfer. I have included the transfer in my price before, but my requirement then is to meet at my FFL, which folks often don't want to do, and the FFL they choose is sometimes more expensive.

I've sold guns with and without the transfer/BGC included, it doesn't seem to matter how I list them, they sell either way. It's an unfortunate part of the process now. I'd rather complain to the state morons who put this law in place rather than complain about sellers on this forum, just my 2 cents.

I agree, it just seems kinda used car salesmanish to not include it...

And I still see the burden on the owner.

Call me daft, but I really don't get where you're coming from. Tell me of any shop in Oregon or Washington where you can buy a gun and you do not have to pay a transfer fee.
There's nothing used car salesman-like about it. The seller is being up front. A used car salesman would bury the fee in the cost of the transaction and then charge you the same transaction and transfer fee a second time.
The transfer fee is a service that the FFL charges for enabling you to engage in the sale legally. If you pay it, the money never gets into the seller's hands.

The background check is on the buyer, not the seller. Just like buying at a dealer, I'd expect to pay the background check.

What if the buyer does not pass the background check? I would not want to be a seller who just paid for someone's background check and have them delayed or denied

Call me daft, but I really don't get where you're coming from. Tell me of any shop in Oregon or Washington where you can buy a gun and you do not have to pay a transfer fee.
There's nothing used car salesman-like about it. The seller is being up front. A used car salesman would bury the fee in the cost of the transaction and then charge you the same transaction and transfer fee a second time.
The transfer fee is a service that the FFL charges for enabling you to engage in the sale legally. If you pay it, the money never gets into the seller's hands.
Some used car salesmen would do that. Not all of them. I've known several who were fine people. You're not profiling, are you? ;)

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads