JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
69th birfday coming up in June and this is a question I have pondered. Assuming I head off to the Long Dirt Nap before my wife she gets them (that is if I had any). Next in the inheritance line is our grown son, who is not a fiearms enthusiast. There are 2 heirlooms that have belonged to my dad and to me, which I would ask to remain in the family.

My wife and I have wills that give everything to each other when we die. If we should die at the same time, half of our estate and my gun collection goes to the NRA and the other half of the estate goes to the Humane Society. If I become the surviving spouse, everything will go to the NRA in my new will.

I have a couple of heirloom firearms that come from 3 generations back (late 1800's). Most of the rest are high end (Colt, Browning, etc.) All of those I want to stay in the family. All 5 of my brothers and sisters are gone (my parents were born in 1900 and 1915). My two stepsons are not interested. My two adult daughters would love to have them, but I'm sure would not hang onto them. My two younger daughters (5 yo and 1 yo) will grow up shooting if I have my way, and since my wife is 30 years my junior she will get them initially. She knows how much I care about what happens to them, and she knows my wishes. I hadn't really considered a family trust, but I'm going to have to think about that.

I was wondering about this too.
With the current political environment if you Pass them down they would probably need to go through an FFL for transfer, then they would have to pay transfer fees on each firearm which could add up fast.

So who's to say the local LEOs won't just come grab them and melt them.

If they don't go to the kids I would at least want them to get the money for them.

If I get old or sick enough I would try to transfer them to my kids ( if they are of age )

Guns? I don't have any guns!

I would caution those of you who have multiple family members, to think about who wants what and why, and who might just take something whether they were meant to receive it or not.

I've seen this play out in a number of other families where some family members were not to be trusted. Those in possession of the items, or who lived close enough and had access, would sometimes just go in an take what they wanted or that they felt was "owed" to them. This sometimes happens with the elderly before they die, especially if they under any kind of care - things turn up missing.

This applies to anything and everything from furniture to jewelry to whatever.

If you have anything of value, whether monetary or heirloom, take a picture of it along with any identifying info, and possibly who you want it to go to, and store multiple copies on a computer storage media (a simple thumb drive that will hold all the pics you could possibly take for this and the written wishes, would cost about $5), and some printed copies.

Give those to some trusted family members and the executor of your will.

This is useful for insurance purposes too.

You should probably include info about your bank accounts and retirement accounts and contacts for those. You don't necessarily need to include account numbers - the banks/etc., will have those - you just need to let you heirs know where to find them. This is especially true if you have large amounts of assets.

Some financial institutions may take up to 90 days for transferring control of the accounts to the estate.

But back to firearms - I have let my daughter know that unless it comes down to her selling the firearms vs. having shelter/food, that I prefer she keep them until such time as she cannot every possibly use them for the purpose most were bought for - surviving SHTF. But it is ultimately up to her - you can only tell them what you want them to do unless you put them into a trust.

My young Daughters have no interest. I still have time though, (I HOPE!o_O) but if I fail to spark an interest......

If they marry before I get near to croaking and the guy(s) are even remotely interested in freedom, history of tyranny or have an interest in dystopian literature etc.

Then a keen interest in guns is not required. They will get them anyway.

If that plan fails then I will sell all but one for security in my last years.

They might even have to pry it from my old cold dead hands.:eek:

While I don't have family that is "into" guns and that I want to leave my guns to (they're Canadian:rolleyes:)... I still have plans for my wife to follow.
-I always make a detailed "for sale" ad for each gun as I acquire it, including photos, serial #'s, scanned paperwork, and specs.
-Each ad is saved to a specific guns only thumb drive reserved just for that purpose, also a printed copy along with all original papers go in a file folder in our safe.
-She's to keep any she wants, and will then post the ads to NWFA and SGT (and equivalents) upon my demise. (if we both go at once my daughter is under the same request)

I don't expect any of this to actually be necessary though, as I plan to live forever...
...and so far that plan is working perfectly.

Last Edited:
Donate upon death to a local gun club, or range to be sold by them to help support youth programs and training (not kept by them). Its what I would do, your not here and what a way to give back to the community. There may be transfer issues that you and a lawyer and the range/clubs can discuss about maybe being put in trust until sold.
I have two sons and they get everything I have so I have a solution, if I did not then donate to a cause that would help the future so more men and women like you and your wife can begin a life of gun enthusiasts.

I'm sure the goobberment will try to slip some gun provision into their death stealing taxation. The king gets all guns after your death, no redistribution of guns between the peasants,,,

I don't worry about it. My guns will all find a home some day. Very doubtful they will end up welded into a statue in front of the UN - if they do, then my descendants will deserve what they subsequently will get.

im willing all of my guns, ammo,reloading equipment, tools to my son. he just turned 2. when i have another boy i'll have to think about how to split it. i guess i might as well start buying two of everything:D

Prying them from my cold dead hands death grip is going to be difficult, but I have a feeling that my grandson will be able to dislodge a few of them, but he's left handed and I'm not and there's a good chance that my son in law will be pulling on the pile also and after the wife reads the paper work and realizes that there really is some money in the pile that I'm clinging to even though I'm dead, I'm sure she'll suddenly become a gun advocate, but that's ok cause I'll be holding on really tight. I'm kinda stingy like that. Good post, good suggestions and ideas.

My stuff will all go well before I die, the guns transferred in Trust. What they do with it afterward is up to them. Watching my family and their rancorous behavior over my Mother's estate, and my Father (he's still alive!), I want to make settle it well before I'm dead.
On an aside, those of you who may rely on medicaid for elder care, the program requires that your assets be depleted before benefits kick in.

As I get older mine will be systematically gifted out to friends and relatives that will appreciate them. Eventually I will wind up with one or two AR's and couple pistols on indefinite loan.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top