Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What will you do with your guns eventually??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Lilhigbee, May 14, 2016.

1. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

A post in the Remington Nylon 66 thread got me to thinking; what will I do with my guns?? Jeannie and I have a fairly extensive collection of guns, storage, ammo, and reloading equipment and supplies. We are in our late forties, have no children of our own, have five nephews and five nieces and three grand-nephews and three grand-nieces, but none of them seem to be interested in guns. Granted a few of them are not old enough to know so there is still hope we can get to them, but otherwise what to do?? Several of the guns are for sale, and I need to get them posted, but many of them I am not going to part with willingly. Some have family history, some I just really like. Granted at our age this isn't likely to be an imminent concern, but eventually, what??
    To those without obvious heirs, what plans do you have for your guns??

P7id10T, etrain16 and NWGunner like this.
  2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Interesting question. What will happen with the rest of your estate after your passing?

Ura-Ki, DuneHopper and etrain16 like this.
  3. Iceman04503

Iceman04503 Portland, or Active Member

My suppressors and my sbr will stay in the family forever. My 10/22 will by passed on to my son when he's old enough to shoot it (he's 5 months old now). The rest will eventually be sold except for a couple that will be passed on to my son as well.

etrain16 likes this.
  4. NWGunner

NWGunner Salem Active Member

Thanks a lot now you have me thinking whom it is I like or love the most to pass my collection on to one day...sheesh.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Adopt me... problem solved! :D

6. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Why worry about it? You'll be dead.
    List what they're actually worth so nobody gets screwed if they sell them/divy them up (at this point it doesn't matter if your wife finds out what you really paid for them)

Along with no longer telling tales, dead men shoot no guns, drink no beer, drive no cars, screw no women, catch no fish, post no bills, eat no chili, watch no TV, play no pool, place no bets, tip no strippers, pass no tests, get no older, and get no wiser.
    But, there IS some good news...no more taxes (that you have to worry about).

41Slinger, Ura-Ki, Lilhigbee and 5 others like this.
  7. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Give them to my older brother if he's still around, or to friends who will use them. I can't find any hearses with luggage racks.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well, as you get older, if you're concerned about money, I'd say start selling them until you get down to perhaps a core collection of guns you don't want to part with.

If there are some you think have value but maybe would like to do something perhaps more special with them, why not consider leaving them to shooting clubs, maybe clubs that teach classes to new shooters. Scout troops, etc., could use them in their programs. I don't know what kind of issues SB941 would create for donating them to a club, etc., but I'm sure they would really appreciate it - many operate on shoe-string budgets as it is. Shotguns could be left to trap clubs that may need loaners. Pistols could be left to clubs that train folks who are brand new to pistol ownership.

I'm dealing with this in part with my father-in-law. He will likely not be here much longer. He has about 1/2 dozen older rifles and shotguns. Nothing that is of any great value, but still very usable. He had asked me once if I would want them. I politely declined as I'm married to his daughter, but not 'blood'. He has several grandchildren that want the guns, but he believes they only want them to turn around and sell them. These guns have value to him beyond their cash value, and he wants them to stay in the family. And apparently, my polite refusal, which was meant to honor his direct family ties actually upset him - something I found out about a year later. Well, we met again while discussing wills, etc., and he asked me again, this time explaining why his decision to go with me - he knows I'll take care of them, and if he chooses, keep them in the family. My daughter may inherit them herself some day, and I can hold them for her, if she wants them. Later, if she decides she doesn't want them, and I get to a point where I don't have the time or inclination to keep holding on to them, I'll donate or sell them - at that point, years down the road, he'll be long gone, so it won't be an issue then.

As for my guns, I'm hoping to leave some to my daughter, maybe her children, if they're around, but I don't expect her to want much, so I'll work with her to see what she'd like and I'll eventually sell or donate the rest as I get older.

All in all, once your gone, none of it will matter - the guns, if you still have them, will be moved on in any of a number of ways. Better you find a way to direct them to someone who can use them, even if it's not family. Who knows, in 10 years, maybe some of those family members may be interested in your guns.

Lastly, maybe consider donating a few as a fundraiser for NWFA - I'm sure Joe would appreciate it - even if it's 20, 30 40 years down the road :)

9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The way things are going politically in the USA, and the world, come 40 years from now you probably won't be able to pass your fire arms down to anyone. Those few who are still holding on to the last of the personal fire arms will be required to turn them over to the state previous to their death. We will have become a much gentler world and private individuals will have no need for firearms. We will be fully protected from all harm by our leaders. All aspects of life from conception through death will be made safe and comfortable for everyone. The wold as a whole will recognize that ABSOLUTELY ALL LIFE has extreme value and death from anything but natural causes will be totally eliminated!

Tuesday is Soylent Green day

10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I can't wait for the time when the government will tell me when I can and can't take a piss....

It will truly be a wonderful day, the animals will talk to us, rainbows will always be in the sky, and there will be no crime.

What a wonderful day that will be!!! :s0121:

Brutus57, Ura-Ki, topgun521 and 4 others like this.
  11. Mikej

:s0121:

:D

etrain16 likes this.
  12. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have established a legacy trust that says where they will go. If my kids dont want them or cant have them then they go to my brothers kids. If my brothers kids don't want or cant have them and there are grandkids they get a shot. If no one wants them they can only be sold and the money distributed if everyone named in the trust agrees. I have guns from my great grandfather, my grandfather, my dad, me and my sons all listed in the trust. I hope that I can keep them together and someday someone down the line will have 6 or 7 generations of family firearms.

41Slinger, Dyjital, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  13. Timbertodd

Timbertodd Aloha Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

What? Hold on I thought Tuesday was taco Tuesday!

Ura-Ki and topgun521 like this.
  14. Mikej

Yeah....For now.

Brutus57, Ura-Ki and topgun521 like this.
  15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I will be dead so I won't care what happens to them
    I have 3 guns from my dad and unfortunately my son won't get them cause they ain't going to California. So they will go to my niece and nephew.
    Them my kid can deal with them

Brutus57 likes this.
  16. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I have an heir and she gets everything of mine.

My brother has one family heirloom rifle and he said none of his kids or grandkids want it, so I get it - I wanted it anyway, but he was the elder and my dad wanted him to have it.

If I had no heirs, I am not sure what I would do with them - maybe give them to my brothers.

17. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have an Adult son unmarried and an Adult Step Daughter who is married with a couple daughters of her own. We have had the kids over and sat down to discuss just this. The firearms are divided among them the Ammo goes with the firearm my son gets the reloading gear. (My son in laws brother is a big reloader so the daughter is covered).

Both Kids would if allowed take every single firearm and bullet. They were both in the US Navy and Both are shooters and hunters. As my Step daughter will also inherit from her real dad the split is weighted heavily towards our son and she fully understands that.

Other collections and valuables have also been divided already. My shop and tools which are an asset I doubt either my son or son in law could amass on their own is to remain as it is with access for either of them to use as they need. When the wife passes they can figure it out then.

18. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

My guns are all shooters, none really collectible. They all go to my son who will continue to enjoy shooting them after I am gone. Chances are he will also be left with enough ammo to shoot for a long time. On the other hand, I am getting older and plan on selling off most of my knife collection so my wife and son don't have to deal with it after I am gone. I would do the same with the guns except I know my son wants them and will use them.

eightyeight mag likes this.
  19. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Dang !!! You guys are depressing.:(
    I just hope I live long enough to let my grandson shoot up most of the ammunition I've been hoarding.:eek:
    In any case....My daughter and her husband will get everything and hopefully my son-in-law will
    instill a love of shooting in my grandson.;)

20. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

In the last ten years I have seen most of my family's elder generation die and have had to go through a couple of estate divisions. In the next decade, quite possibly less, I expect there to be none of that generation left. That is part of life - no one lives forever.

It makes you think, especially when you see people younger than you die of heart attacks, strokes, etc.

For myself it is fairly simple - my one child gets everything if she survives me - otherwise most of it goes to my brothers.