JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would you carry a sidearm? Cant you get it done with your rifle. I have never been in a situation where a pistol is going to be better than a rifle in the woods. I guess I just dont want the weight when it gets steep and deep as i get older every once counts. If I am camping or fishing and dont have a rifle then I carry my linebaugh ar my 1911 rowland because dead is dead there is now such thing as to dead or "overkill".

I have had to track a wounded bear about a half mile in brush and foliage about 6 feet tall. All this after a heart and lung shot! You don't have quite the reaction time with a long rifle as you do with a pistol....and with a rifle, I'm assuming you use bolt action, you get one shot. Pistol you get a lot more than 1!

My choice is the GLOCK 10MM... compare the ballistics, weight and round count to ANY handgun for this application (hunting/ fending off bear). .44 is a great round but its heavy, not as durable. I really encourage folks to research this caliber. JMHO!

mrtadpole - Just to let ya know, I am a HUGE Glock fan, they are my favorite handguns, for practical use. I bought a 10MM about 6 months ago, for the reason of carrying in the woods and just a plain, powerful semi auto. After about 150 rounds of standard Remington UMC ammo, the extractor broke. The gun was useless. I still love Glocks, and Glock fixed it for free, but the Glock 20 has moved down the road. I'd have never trusted it again, and won't buy another 10MM Glock. Just a little heads up, it could have been a fluke deal, but it made me uneasy.

It depends on the area I am hunting in and the season. I tend to hunt Elk and Bear with a muzzle loader so I will carry a heavier side arm like a 357 mag or soon to be my new 1911 45. It's for personal protection of course because I am fully aware of the WA laws about side arms during bow and muzzle loader seasons.

When hunting deer during modern firearm season I typically carry a little 22 pistol for grouse.

When I was young and just started hunting deer I didn't carry a side arm because I had a 30-30 and 20 gauge over under that I would use. I would put a 20 gauge slug in the bottom barrel for close range deer shots, but if I saw a grouse I could easily switch out the slug for a light upland load.

mrtadpole - Just to let ya know, I am a HUGE Glock fan, they are my favorite handguns, for practical use. I bought a 10MM about 6 months ago, for the reason of carrying in the woods and just a plain, powerful semi auto. After about 150 rounds of standard Remington UMC ammo, the extractor broke. The gun was useless. I still love Glocks, and Glock fixed it for free, but the Glock 20 has moved down the road. I'd have never trusted it again, and won't buy another 10MM Glock. Just a little heads up, it could have been a fluke deal, but it made me uneasy.

HOGWASH...impossible,glocks can never break.You must have dropped it or hit it with a hammer.
No wait,that wouldn't even break a glock.

You can go to the Colt delta elite or EAA? puts out a nice 10mm

I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .480 Ruger. Might be overkill for two legged predators, but if I have to deal with an angry bear I want to put as big of a piece of lead in him the first shot as I can.

Para Ordinance P-12 .45acp with obsolete and terrifying "Black Talon" to take care of "Smokey".....the bear. Not the cartoon character known by people these day as, Smokey Bear.

S&W M&P9. It's like my Capital One card, I never leave home without it...LOL!!!:cool:

It doesn't matter if it has two legs of four legs, I carry what I trust.

This year my Charter Arms Undercover in .38 +P 5 shot 2" barrel revolver. Cause it fits in my hunting coat pocket nicely. I keep it in a simple nylon holster with the strap over the hammer for safety. I carry a spare 10 rounds (though I have no idea why) Currently 125gr Berrys coated flat points.

ruger p95 one 15rd in the gun and one 10rd mag on my holster. i use it because out of the handguns i own thats all i am willing to take with me hunting as a side arm. my buddy takes his taurus judge with the 6inch barrell loaded with buckshot and 45 colt. he carries it because he claims he looks awesome with a huge wheel gun on his side.

OK so you're guttin' the Bonne and Crocket deer of a life time.Got your rifle laying down out of the way.Some bad guys come out of nowhere and ask what you're doing with their deer.That one guy has his rifle kinda pointing at you,more just in your direction.

Do you
A Try to get you rifle up to your shoulder and tell them to piss off?
or
B get a hand on you handgun that is always by your side or in you pocket ready to go,stand up,point the barrel at one of their balls and tell them ,Sorry,this will be mine...?

I have to disagree with Drkside45,one shot from a rifle will do as much damage at close range as trying to get 13 rounds of 40S&W defense loads into a charging animal. About equal chances ,depending on how close the animal is charging from.

You think you can put 13 rounds in a bear while pissing your pants?

This is exactly why I CARRY 14oz can of Bear Spray attached to my daypack strap. (Wholesale Sports variety) All you guys who think you can hit a charging animal are full of it!!!!!!!!!! .............Been there done that have the T -shirt! I have competed in IPSC for almost 20 years. I am not a quick draw by any means but I am good and I am truthful with myself about ever being able to pull my handgun in a hunting scenario like that ever again............I got lucky with a Mt Lion and a 7mm shooting from the hip and hit it in the face ........IT DID NOT DIE ........I blew it over backwards and ran off and we found it in some reprod down the hill side. Only it was not the only one....there were two of them and my buddy got the other one as it ran down the hill at me.
I know you all are thinking ....Right .. that didn't happen. TRUE STORY -This incident was turned into the Enterprise ODFD office, the Biologist who took the report was Pat Mathews in 2003.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top