JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DSC06041.jpg
I'll see your .44 and show you mine.
( not as much pretty bluing as yours... )
Andy

My favorite to look at is the high polish blue like on older Colts. 2 Colts and a DW.jpg

I love nice wood on a rifle stock, too. I think those absolutely beautiful, especially on a blue action, like some posted previously.
However I'm not easy on my guns and just like the Model 70 I used to have, I can't bear using and abusing a beautiful gun.
My favorite for use is stainless and on a hunting rifle, it better be matte. I've thought about some kind of black coating, but just haven't gone there, yet. While wood is good, when I come out of the woods and dump water out of my rifle, I think there are better choices. Something like this. P1010175.JPG

Krylon. I did the barrel of a 10/22 with it. About fifteen years ago and it still looks decent. Otherwise I can't stand stainless or nickel finishes. I hate chrome for that matter as well (and get off my lawn while I'm at it...)
I've got an SP101 that I've been dying to darken for years... I'm thinking it's go time.

I don't think you could pull this off with Krylon, but I love the matte black finish against the wood grips on this SP101 - would love this one in my collection:

image.jpeg

For collectibility - Deep blued steel, think Colt's of days gone by, with nicely figured rosewood grips... Something about that combination makes my heart go pitter patter.... Also makes me want to make them safe queens...

For use, anything that's not too Purdy...

Think Glocks, Springfield XD series and parkerized 1911's...

I also have a stainless unit or two, just because every collection should have some bling :p

There are definitely a lot more finish options these days, but it's by far a horses for courses thing, if only because a lot of the finishes are protectant based.

I wouldn't Cerakote a classic mil-surp, for example.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews