JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you like the best if you could have your guns in any color combo?

Stainless is always my preference living in the PNW but that doesn't always work out for me.

I like the idea of coating a few in crazy colors, but in general, I like grey over black guns (polished stainless with black accents are very much my style).

So what do you go for if you have a choice?

Depends on weapon and role. If it's meant to be a "military-issue facsimile" I want a mil-spec finish. Otherwise I generally prefer lo-viz finishes, though I would go International/Safety Orange for a dedicated "less-lethal"/beanbag shotgun.

The oddball is a build I'm concepting I call the "Rattlesnake": as befitting its rattler-head muzzle device and rattle on the stock, finished in the colors and markings of Crotalus atrox, the Western Diamondback which I was dubbed with my handle in reference to.

Magazines, on the other hand, I'm not averse to a whole plethora of colors. Red markings for "Go To WAR" ammo loads, green for M855 green-tip/AP, blue for malfunction-prone ones only retained for training use.

I like the old pre war blue of a Smith & Wesson or Colt.
The rainbow hue of case hardened steel or a rich brown.
And for practical use the grey / green of some of Remington's war time work in parkerizing.
Andy

Last Edited:
I also have to vote that it depends on the gun. For say a 1911, I prefer stainless over blued, just a preference. Same with revolvers. Other pistols, like Glocks, I definitely prefer black, and I don't care much for bi-tone pistols. Rifles, I like my 10/22 in stainless, and maybe certain bolt guns too, but if it's an AR, AK or milsurp, it has to be black.

Just to break away from my wood and browned / blued steel muzzleloaders, I like seeing an AR type rifle with green or tan stocks with a military black or parkerized metal finish.
( Ha! Bet y'all didn't think I knew what a AR rifle was . :) )
Andy

Matte grey or black or maybe a dark OD

The material underneath I prefer to be stainless or aluminum

I don't care for blueing, while on some firearms it looks okay, it shows fingerprints and I have come in from a rainy day hunting to find rust already forming on the firearm

Just to break away from my wood and browned / blued steel muzzleloaders, I like seeing an AR type rifle with green or tan stocks with a military black or parkerized metal finish.
( Ha! Bet y'all didn't think I knew what a AR rifle was . :) )
Andy

Heck Andy, I just assumed your AR was also a muzzle loader - like the CMMG in .50 cal. Why have 30 rounds when you can have 1?? :rolleyes:

Heck Andy, I just assumed your AR was also a muzzle loader - like the CMMG in .50 cal. Why have 30 rounds when you can have 1?? :rolleyes:

I have to admit, it would be fun to have one of those uppers if for no other reason than to really mess with people at the range ;) :p "What the hell is he doing!!??"

Blued steel....like this....................................

upload_2016-9-27_14-25-38.png

Anything else is a frawk.

tac

A solution for which there is absolutely no problem.

tac

I didn't even know they existed - I Googlfied the darn thing as a joke - and found out my joke was a reality :eek:

I honestly expected to see some phony-baloney mockup like this:

9JU2gAP.png

Pull that lower off that gun and I'd love to have it!! Anyway, I've drifted enough, back to Joe's original thread....

There is nothing more beautiful or more impractical than a high polished blue finish. I love it. Classic wood furniture always sets it off. Is it practical? Not these days. There are so many other finishes that are way more forgiving and that look awesome.

My two favorite carry guns are stainless.

I keep thinking I'm going to get something refinished in NP3+ for the slickness factor and the promise that I can basically run it bone dry, do very little maintenance on it, and still everything will just wipe down.

Then again, melonite is dishwasher safe.... that's pretty sexy right there!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top