JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A counter offer should always be sent not just "what will you take for it".
I agree but if I believe the buyer is serious I am more accepting of a direct approach such as "OK, what is your bottom line cash price" - BECAUSE I typically do have a bottom line I will not go under - and if I believe the buyer to be serious (such as being shown cash) then I am not going loose a sale over 'semantics'. HOWEVER the original question "What is the least you'll take" has a hint of 'weakness" and lack of seriousness - especially if it is asked over the phone or online and I detect no evidence of 'seriousness' from the buyer

"I used to do the exact opposite of the above advise. I learned I save myself a lot of stupidity and drama ignoring stupidity and drama."

Taking the lowest offer and giving them 20 bucks doesn't sound too smart too me:p

If you want to avoid people looking for a better price then just put "FIRM" on your add. Most people won't negotiate on a firm price. Guys that get me are the ones who put "obo" on the price, just put a number you want and people will buy it or they wont. No need to make a price a guessing game. Do you go into a store and make offers?:D

If you want to avoid people looking for a better price then just put "FIRM" on your add. Most people won't negotiate on a firm price. Guys that get me are the ones who put "obo" on the price, just put a number you want and people will buy it or they wont. No need to make a price a guessing game. Do you go into a store and make offers?:D

Depends on a number of factors. Is what I'm planning to buy used? If so, yes, I will probably make an offer. Is it a display model, missing parts, scuffed a bit? You bet.

If the item is brand new, I may still make an offer, depending on the store. And considering some online stores like Bud's give you the chance to make offers on certain firearms, sure I'd do that there too.

Unless I list a price in my ad as 'Firm', I'm open to offers. Maybe I do that because I think I've got a good price, but I learn over time I may be a bit high. I don't mind reasonable offers and I don't mind making them. If the two people involved can talk reasonably, then no reason not to give it a shot. But I don't counter 'what's your lowest price' offers with anything but, 'make a cash offer and I'll consider it'.

Last Edited:
I agree that even at the doctor I have asked for a discount when paying cash. Floor models in stores and all the things named above are accurate for me as well.
Being "firm" on price takes a lot of people that would even pay almost what you want away from contacting..It does with me when I see "firm" and feel it is a bit high. Any car I sell or the like I expect a bit of haggle. A bit.

The point of me saying anything here is that "a bit" turns into some people trying to get something for nothing. I would not treat a seller that way and it would be nice to be treated as I do other members. I know that is asking to much so I get my frustration out by letting you all know! Makes me feel better...

Almost every time I've asked if that is your best price on something I've decided to buy I've gotten a better price. I think once you know someone is serious it makes a difference. I've got a boat for sale for $8000, somebody who shows up seriously wanting to buy it could get it for less vs a tire kicker calling about it. I usually have an asking price and what I'd actually take.

Almost every time I've asked if that is your best price on something I've decided to buy I've gotten a better price. I think once you know someone is serious it makes a difference. I've got a boat for sale for $8000, somebody who shows up seriously wanting to buy it could get it for less vs a tire kicker calling about it. I usually have an asking price and what I'd actually take.

Agreed again. I sold a truck I had had for 15 years lately and asked 2200 for it knowing I would take 1700 if cash was offered. Set price in my mind and room for someone to "feel like they got a deal". I got 2k and the guy felt great that he talked me down.
I have a bottom line in all my gun sales. I however will not share my bottom number without a number offered first..Or when it sounds shady in any way from a new member. If you contact me with good feedback and asked me to take 425 I would counter although the asking is 500. I would not be insulted by that. I expect it. I was told by my dad many times (see letter to my dad on this thread) that you "never negotiate against yourself".

I am too damned poor anymore to buy, so I pretty much just barter and trade. Saves a lot of grief and values are just pretty much based on need by both sides, or Not.
I don't like undercutting someone's value. I just don't consider things that are too much or I offer a trade, so what is the least you will take never comes into play :D

I am too damned poor anymore to buy, so I pretty much just barter and trade. Saves a lot of grief and values are just pretty much based on need by both sides, or Not.
I don't like undercutting someone's value. I just don't consider things that are too much or I offer a trade, so what is the least you will take never comes into play :D

I wish I could just trade everything I am letting go of. Much easier and what I normally do. Thing is nobody will do a bulk trade for what I currently "need". Saying I will trade 2 guns or even 3 for a compensated Sig Extreme 1911 is not likely to get much in the way of real offers.
I shot one a couple weeks ago and cannot get over the accuracy and how good it felt to shoot it....I want!

Did you ask the doctor for a cash discount? If you get 10% off a $1000 procedure, that is what ... a day at the range.

No I just shop for the best deal. Went to the dentist this week but shopped around a bit for price, got 8% off for paying cash. Didn't bargain with them or haggle over price, just looked for the best deal.

Firm means... that is my price.

OBO means... I will haggle on the price

What is the least you will take for it means... this is the start of the haggle

What is your rock bottom price means... I really don't want to waste time with the haggle so what do you really want for the gun?

Communication is really simple when you don't beat around the bush. I was married over 40 years to the same woman so I know how to communicate :D:D

Married here as well and it does help to learn to keep my mouth shut at times...Shocking that I was more mouthy 10 years ago but true.
Marriage has taught me that "anything you say can and will be held against you for life" and "I have no right to a lawyer".
It sure as hell has taught me nothing about negotiating with men!

Yup if you don't talk straight forward to a woman she will twist it into what she wants to think. I deal straight forward, no haggle and I either want it for the price or dont. Waste of time to haggle over a few bucks.o_O

Yup if you don't talk straight forward to a woman she will twist it into what she wants to think. I deal straight forward, no haggle and I either want it for the price or dont. Waste of time to haggle over a few bucks.o_O
I just refuse to say "yes babe" to a buyer. I have to do that too much as it is! I feel more like these folks are like my kids and need a good lecture than a stroke to their ego.

What's the least I'll take?? :rolleyes:

762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews