JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I am kicking the crap out of a dead horse but WHY!!?? Why do folks contact for a gun and ask this??!!
I am not going to start negotiating against myself ever. OBO means their best offer so do some of you respond in a polite way that keeps these folks hopeful?!
It is insane how many people just want to know if I will knock a few hundred off if they ask this. My response is always...if any "OBO means the closest offer SENT TO ME to the number I am asking"! Then I am a jerk??!!

Nah, that's just stupid.

A counter offer should always be sent not just "what will you take for it".

People in the states do not know how to Negotiate a prices - so much of our market is "a set price". Not so much with the rest of the world.

Nah, that's just stupid.

A counter offer should always be sent not just "what will you take for it".

People in the states do not know how to Negotiate a prices - so much of our market is "a set price". Not so much with the rest of the world.

Thank you! I start feeling like I am the crazy one sometimes. I always offer the lowest number I will give and if they take it great otherwise I move on.

When I get those, I respond back with my asking price, then invite them to make an actual offer. So far, I have yet to do business with anyone that has asked that question, though I have done business with people that make reasonable offers. It's never proven out to be worth my time to deal with the folks that ask that question.

I have PM'd people in the past rather than posting in the thread.

One guy was selling mags for more than one could buy them online with shipping included.

He got pissed when I PM'd him and said he should be able to sell them for as much as he wanted without someone like me complaining about it...then in the very same response, he began to complain how Joe charges too much for a vendor fee and explained how he could sell his items for a lot less over at Armslist.

I asked if he noticed the irony in his response. He deleted all his posts and left NWFA....:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Ya, it's kinda like "when you have a real hard time connecting with someone to buy or sell something, it usually never works out.

That's why I always walk away from "Big Frigging Hassle" buying or selling..

I learned my lesson.:s0105:

I really should just ignore it all but I currently have 3 guns up and have received that at least 10 times...Given most ARE from armslist that do that. I wish I did not have to post there at all but to get enough interest I have never seemed to have a choice.

So, Whats your bottom dollar? How low can you go? Does that include a 1000 rounds of ammo?

Ok now that we got that worked out I only have $20 now but I can have the rest to you by Christmas but I need the gun this week to go shooting with my buddies to show them MY cool new gun.

So, Whats your bottom dollar? How low can you go? Does that include a 1000 rounds of ammo?

Ok now that we got that worked out I only have $20 now but I can have the rest to you by Christmas but I need the gun this week to go shooting with my buddies to show them MY cool new gun.

Haha YES! That is the effing little entitled mentality that drives me insane. "I want so I get".

Why are you *bubblegummy* on this?

Standard negotiation 101 from the buyer.

See ad - know price in ad is higher than needed to sell price
know price is listed because no interest if no price
also know price is to keep cheap offers to set expectation of quality.

example: Here is a nice URN $1000.00
You have a different expectation than if I listed it at 100 or 10.

My first experience with this came when I was in college. My buddy had a Mercedes.
Quick - what do you think of him? Rich, Rich parents?
Well it was a 50's something not too much rust typical get you to school car. Not some luxury motor.

Negotiation 102 is: Person who names the price is in the weaker position.
Watch those TV shows where they do that - You'll see the confessional where the seller says I need to get 10000 for this, then the buyer says 15000 and all of a sudden the seller can't possibly come down a hundred bucks.

Negotiation 103: When you are buying and selling take the emotion out of it. Or, just open your wallet and leave the cash on the street.
What to you is a classic to them is used. What is in "original" condition (patina etc) is a starting point that means more work.

When you get
"What is the least you'll take for it?"
come back with Cash? Check? Trade?
There might be considerations.
You need me to come across town? On a work day?

All that is way to complicated.

When they say "What is the least you will take?" I simply say " What is the most you will pay?

And follow up that statement with "look, I cant both sell and buy this thing. If you want to buy it make me an offer or pay the asking price.

Anyone see the add where the guy wants to trade his NIB MAK90 (never fired) for QTY-2 other AKs of high quality.

It took all that I had to refrain from asking if he would be willing to trade the MAK for (2) Polytechs....:rolleyes::confused:

Why are you *bubblegummy* on this?

Standard negotiation 101 from the buyer.

See ad - know price in ad is higher than needed to sell price
know price is listed because no interest if no price
also know price is to keep cheap offers to set expectation of quality.

example: Here is a nice URN $1000.00
You have a different expectation than if I listed it at 100 or 10.

My first experience with this came when I was in college. My buddy had a Mercedes.
Quick - what do you think of him? Rich, Rich parents?
Well it was a 50's something not too much rust typical get you to school car. Not some luxury motor.

Negotiation 102 is: Person who names the price is in the weaker position.
Watch those TV shows where they do that - You'll see the confessional where the seller says I need to get 10000 for this, then the buyer says 15000 and all of a sudden the seller can't possibly come down a hundred bucks.

Negotiation 103: When you are buying and selling take the emotion out of it. Or, just open your wallet and leave the cash on the street.
What to you is a classic to them is used. What is in "original" condition (patina etc) is a starting point that means more work.

When you get
"What is the least you'll take for it?"
come back with Cash? Check? Trade?
There might be considerations.
You need me to come across town? On a work day?

Dear Dad, I can remember a similar conversation when i bought my first truck a couple decades ago. However.. I was not listening. I still like to complain and I get to now DAD! I am a big boy!

BTW it was me that burned part of the field down and not my brother...sorry. Also it was not him that drove your convertible into the pond...It was someone younger that you did not suspect...He likely did deserve the punishment so I do not feel bad.
Also it was not your daughter that ate all the candy bars from the fire station.

Thank you for letting me get that out of my system. I feel like this rant has let me relieve some stress.

Love ya!

I am sorry Ric...I do love ya but it sounded so much like my father!

All that is way to complicated.

When they say "What is the least you will take?" I simply say " What is the most you will pay?

And follow up that statement with "look, I cant both sell and buy this thing. If you want to buy it make me an offer or pay the asking price.

How bout, "your highest offer plus 20 bucks" , then you get in the last word.

All of those types of posts or messages usually get ignored. Replying tends to open an Internet flood gate of trolling and turds.

Same goes for those who stir the coals under those selling stuff that is obviously overpriced and the member has one or less posts. Just ignore it.

I used to do the exact opposite of the above advise. I learned I save myself a lot of stupidity and drama ignoring stupidity and drama.

those questions make me turn red with frustration. exactly I not the buyer, I am the seller!!!!!!

where do these people come from? and as for negotiation 101 etc I'm not making a real estate deal or whatever, I'm selling a $300 gun for $250. and furthermore if it's a wts ad on nwfa, the seller is always in the weaker position by stating a figure first.

you want a better deal by haggling? you better earn it by haggling. it's not a handout, if you suck at haggling then no discount.

I usually tell the person "that's not how this works"

Yes I also love the rationalizing the low ball offer with a link to the gun at some random website for 75 less than the gun sells anywhere else...Just recieved that a moment ago for my LCR .357.
500 is the starting price as stated OBO means just that but come one. Letting me know you can find it cheaper and BTW "I let my CHL lapse but have an ID" is fine but why the eff not buy it from that place...well I will tell ya. Cause with shipping, transfer, and background check your 440 dollar LCR just made its way over 500. For me though I should knock off 100 bucks...ok.
But again thanks for letting me know you could get it cheaper but want mine...I think.
Some of the new members here are crazy folks....along with some long time members.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top