JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Firearms are usually worth more as a heirloom, to the family. Then they are in dollars.
I can not tell you how many people have sold a firearm that was a family members only to find out
it had history, look for photos of family with it make it all the more valuable to family.

I was a gun dealer. It's a nice gun, to be sure. But the last one I had in my shop sat on my shelf for six months. The only reason it sold was that it was uncut and not drilled and tapped. A Winchester guy came to pick up a Model 71. He saw the 54 and offered me a reasonable offer on it as well. If I remember correctly, he gave me $400 or so, but it might have been a tick higher (it's been several years).
Sadly, the market for older hunting rifles, even ones as awesome as this, is pretty weak right now. It's only going to get worse, as we are due for a run on tacticool guns again with upcoming elections and legislation.

I totally agree. I've ran across model 54's for $400.00. They are cool and maybe someday, when the right one comes along, I may buy one. Just because I like Winchester rifles and am sort of a collector. I'm not trying to say the op's rifle is not worth anything, but if it's been drilled and tapped, a lot of the value has gone out the window. The picture/attachment is not showing for me, so I have no idea what the rifle looks like or how the scope is attached. Back in the day, they could attach a mount to the rear sight and maybe the 2 holes drilled in the side of the receiver, thus not altering the originality of the rifle and keeping it more valuable/collectible..

I totally agree. I've ran across model 54's for $400.00. They are cool and maybe someday, when the right one comes along, I may buy one. Just because I like Winchester rifles and am sort of a collector. I'm not trying to say the op's rifle is not worth anything, but if it's been drilled and tapped, a lot of the value has gone out the window. The picture/attachment is not showing for me, so I have no idea what the rifle looks like or how the scope is attached. Back in the day, they could attach a mount to the rear sight and maybe the 2 holes drilled in the side of the receiver, thus not altering the originality of the rifle and keeping it more valuable/collectible..
And that describes how the scope is mounted

IMG_1086.JPG

Book value in 80% is $725 ( hard to get book price out of anything) just a good reference where to start.
Scope and mount, hard to put a set price on them. They range from 100-300

9FA417D7-6B4B-48CE-9974-2C8D28ECBB5F.jpeg

What is a gun worth...?
Well there is book value...
Internet value...
And then there is real world value...as in what it will actually sell for...
Often these are very different.

A good thing to remember about a firearm's value is that what a gun may sell for in one part of the country , may be vastly different in another part of the country.
Andy

The stith mount definitely helps! Saves the originality of the rifle. Honestly, I'm still not sure you get the $700 in the blue book. But I would venture a guess that you could get $500 to $550, maybe a touch higher if it hits a nostalgic note.

Either way, beautiful rifle. I hope you find a loving home for it!

I have my great grandfathers rifle from the 1890's and is literally priceless. Without being nosy are you sure there aren't any males in the family that would want it? Grandkids, nephews? Etc..

Well I want to thank all of your for your input. I'm most impressed that almost everyone observed and practiced Rule 1. That speaks well for your organization and gun owners in general.
So I had a serious talk with one of my daughters about keeping this gun for her planned offspring. She is a tree hugging member of PETA, but she surprisingly agreed that it might be nice to someday give her child Great, Great Granddads rifle. So I have written down everything I have learned about it, oiled it up and put it away for now.
So I don't know how to end this thread, but I will be deregistering from NWFA. Thanks again. Out.

Well I want to thank all of your for your input. I'm most impressed that almost everyone observed and practiced Rule 1. That speaks well for your organization and gun owners in general.
So I had a serious talk with one of my daughters about keeping this gun for her planned offspring. She is a tree hugging member of PETA, but she surprisingly agreed that it might be nice to someday give her child Great, Great Granddads rifle. So I have written down everything I have learned about it, oiled it up and put it away for now.
So I don't know how to end this thread, but I will be deregistering from NWFA. Thanks again. Out.
Good for you! Good choice.

It sounds like a nice old gun, but there are not as many collectors out here as there once were.
A few years ago a friend of mine died and his widow had a hell of a time selling his collection. It took a long time to clear out about 300 Winchester rifles, new unfired and still in the boxes with original tags on them.
May I suggest that you wait until you find out whether or not you will have any grandchildren who might be interested in the rifle before you put it up for sale. If you absolutely must sell it, one of the gun auction sites will likely bring the best price.

So I have decided it is time to sell a gun I inherited from my Grandfather about 60 years ago. I have taken it to several gun dealers to sell on consignment and they tell me it is a collectors gun and I need to sell it my self. I just don't know what to ask for it, maybe this forum can give me some ideas.
It is a Winchester Model 54-270 caliber bolt action rifle. Both dealers that have seen it describe its condition as 80 to 90% . The serial number is 28471A, which dates it to 1929. It has a mounted Weaver model 330 scope, which is also collectable. Instead of cross hairs, the scope has a post sight, which were not common for Weaver, but they did make a few of them, adding to the collectability.
Grandpa added a leather shooters sling to the gun, and it is still in good condition. The gun has spent most of its life in a fleece gun case. I'm pretty sure Grandpa bought it new.
Winchester marketed it as a "High Power-Sportster". Stock has not been cut down.

View attachment 543440[/QUOTE
try www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews