JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's a lot of money, but I have read that it is a darn good optic in regards to a LPVO.

What are your thoughts?

I don't care for Vortex, had two gen IIE Razors (1-6) and they both failed on me.

I was thinking about installing one on this M1A. After testing the fit with the NX8 1-8X24mm with the 30mm tube (from an AR15), I don't think I could keep the ATACR optic as low as I would like without contacting the rear sight. The NX8 is great, but I am not sure if they are still offering it with the FC-DMx reticle that is featured in the ATACR 1-8X24mm 34mm tube.

ui_NX8_FC-DMx.jpg
Love the reticle. At 1X the red dot is bright...At 8X the circle, with pinpoint center, doesn't interfere with the target

NF_FC-DMx-1x-white-bg.png
NF_FC-DMx.png
Edit to add: So to answer your question...for me, the ATACR didn't really fit the application.

Last Edited:
I was thinking about installing one on this M1A. After testing the fit with the NX8 1-8X24mm with the 30mm tube (from an AR15), I don't think I could keep the ATACR optic as low as I would like without contacting the rear sight. The NX8 is great, but I am not sure if they are still offering it with the FC-DMx reticle that is featured in the ATACR 1-8X24mm 34mm tube.

View attachment 1453867
Love the reticle. At 1X the red dot is bright...At 8X the circle, with pinpoint center, doesn't interfere with the target

View attachment 1453875
View attachment 1453881
Edit to add: So to answer your question...for me, the ATACR didn't really fit the application.
I consider the NX8 but I've heard far too many bad things about it. Blurry at eight times magnification small eye box etc. etc..

View attachment 1453867

View attachment 1453875
View attachment 1453881
So what's the deal? other than the small eye box. How is the rest of the NX8 in your experience?

I have the NX8 on the AR15 in the photo. I don't have difficulty locating the eye box. It is small though, but I don't run while shooting :D. The glass is clear, and there isn't blur at 8X magnification.
The lever throw is smooth and fast.
ui_ar15.jpeg
Edit to add: The NX8 is approx 4oz lighter than the ATACR...if the weight matters in your application.

Last Edited:
Love my NX8 1-8 which rides my primary rifle, no issues with clarity at 8x magnification. I take this combo out to 800 yards regularly with great effect while still being able to run close engagement drills very effectively. I am slowly working my way through the top LPVO's and the NX8 has remained over a Credo 1-8, Vortex Razor GenIII 1-10, Leupolds and a few others. Still on the list to try out is the ATACR 1-8 which I am sure, other than weight, will be an excellent optic and another well regarded LPVO the Kahles 1-6 and 1-8 offerings. While I have not run it on my personal guns, I have run the top of the line Primary Arms LPVO on a buddies rifle and found it to be optically excellent and preferred it to the Razor GenIII 1-10 that we were comparing it to side by side.

Just got in the EOtech Vudu 1-10 and it is showing promise. I suspect this optic will stick around for a while. The Vudu 1-10 has the best red dot 1x experience I have viewed and I look forward to taking it through some drills.

If you have the money to spend and don't have other important, competing needs/wants then the ATACR 1-8 is likely never the wrong choice when it comes to a LPVO. If you have important uses for the $1k - $2k additional the ATACR costs over other excellent LPVO's then there is nothing wrong with looking at the NX8, Vudu, Kahles, Credo, etc....

It's a lot of money, but I have read that it is a darn good optic in regards to a LPVO.

What are your thoughts?

I don't care for Vortex, had two gen IIE Razors (1-6) and they both failed on me.
ATACR is probably the best. If not, then it is still among the very best. Everything is top-flight on it. I got the opportunity to shoot with one a few years back and it was outstanding. The image was crisp at all magnifications and the adjustments were positive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top