JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have decided it is time to sell a gun I inherited from my Grandfather about 60 years ago. I have taken it to several gun dealers to sell on consignment and they tell me it is a collectors gun and I need to sell it my self. I just don't know what to ask for it, maybe this forum can give me some ideas.
It is a Winchester Model 54-270 caliber bolt action rifle. Both dealers that have seen it describe its condition as 80 to 90% . The serial number is 28471A, which dates it to 1929. It has a mounted Weaver model 330 scope, which is also collectable. Instead of cross hairs, the scope has a post sight, which were not common for Weaver, but they did make a few of them, adding to the collectability.
Grandpa added a leather shooters sling to the gun, and it is still in good condition. The gun has spent most of its life in a fleece gun case. I'm pretty sure Grandpa bought it new.
Winchester marketed it as a "High Power-Sportster". Stock has not been cut down.

View attachment 543440

Last Edited:
Sounds priceless to me.

What's it worth to you becomes the number 1 question.

Second question would be what do you expect to get?

Sounds priceless to me.

What's it worth to you becomes the number 1 question.

Second question would be what do you expect to get?
Well at my age, with only daughters for heirs, it is not worth anything to me. But I am not willing to give it away, and have no expectations or delusions that it will bring anything more than a fair price.

Well at my age, with only daughters for heirs, it is not worth anything to me. But I am not willing to give it away, and have no expectations or delusions that it will bring anything more than a fair price.
Have you asked your daughters if they want to keep it in the family?

^This^ See if they are interested in having it and it may peak their interest enough that they start shooting, not necessarily this gun but a .22lr. It could spark a passion.

My inherited guns aren't for sale and never have been no matter how badly I needed money or don't shoot them.

You may only have daughters (as do I) but you stand a good chance of having grandkids (boy or girl doesn't matter to me). That's where my guns will go so they have 4-5 generations of history and pride you can't buy from a pawn shop.

First, let me agree with the other members who say that if there is any possibility of finding a family member to keep the gun in the family, that should be the first option.

That being said, the value is dependent on several factors. Has the buttstock been cut for a recoil pad? How has the scope been mounted? What is the wear that has dropped the condition?

Honestly, sight unseen, based on previous knowledge owning a shop and buying/selling used guns, and looking at the online market (gunbroker), I would place the value between $450 and $550, depending on how long you wanted to wait to sell it. I don't see the Weaver scope adding that much value unless it had military provenance. I have the same scope with the same reticle I bought with an $80 .22 rifle.

If you search completed auctions on gunbroker, the best price I saw was for a first year production gun and it sold for $650. Good luck!

Winchester Model 54 270 WCF - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 793502649

So I have decided it is time to sell a gun I inherited from my Grandfather about 60 years ago. I have taken it to several gun dealers to sell on consignment and they tell me it is a collectors gun and I need to sell it my self. I just don't know what to ask for it, maybe this forum can give me some ideas.
It is a Winchester Model 54-270 caliber bolt action rifle. Both dealers that have seen it describe its condition as 80 to 90% . The serial number is 28471A, which dates it to 1929. It has a mounted Weaver model 330 scope, which is also collectable. Instead of cross hairs, the scope has a post sight, which were not common for Weaver, but they did make a few of them, adding to the collectability.
Grandpa added a leather shooters sling to the gun, and it is still in good condition. The gun has spent most of its life in a fleece gun case. I'm pretty sure Grandpa bought it new.
Do you need the money? That's a rare item,.270 coming out in 1925, but what price can you put on your heritage? Your heirs may cus you someday, for selling their heritage, to a stranger. Keep it in your family. I was outside the police station one time on a NOW/Ceasefire Oregon buyback when a young girl headed in with a beautiful old double/ hammer 12Ga in mint shape. They would give her $50 or $100 (forgot) to cut it up. I offered her $300 cash, on the spot, before the new laws, and she walked right in to save humanity from her Greatgrandfathers prize possession. He must have been turning over in his grave. The brainwashing of our youth is a terrible thing. The NOW women inside were really PO'd at us for buying guns outside, before they could get their claws on them and told a reporter " they would take care of that for next year". And they did... with the help of our local Rep. David Gomberg.

Its all about condition and finding the right buyer.
If you search gunbroker, only pay attention to completed auctions. Just because something is listed for $2K doesn't mean its worth that....
I picked up a well loved 54 in '06 off of this board last year for $350, mechanically its great, but the finish is spartan...planning on a refinish hopefully this year.
I've seen some very nice ones posted here for reasonable prices that just sit because no one seems to want them.

I was a gun dealer. It's a nice gun, to be sure. But the last one I had in my shop sat on my shelf for six months. The only reason it sold was that it was uncut and not drilled and tapped. A Winchester guy came to pick up a Model 71. He saw the 54 and offered me a reasonable offer on it as well. If I remember correctly, he gave me $400 or so, but it might have been a tick higher (it's been several years).
Sadly, the market for older hunting rifles, even ones as awesome as this, is pretty weak right now. It's only going to get worse, as we are due for a run on tacticool guns again with upcoming elections and legislation.

I scored a pair of 54s a few years ago, $200 for the scoped one and $320 for the iron sighted one, both in .30/06! Family had zero desire to keep them, didnt knkw how to store them properly, were not willing to deal with them beyond selling them to me as fast as I could get the money outta my wallet, and happy to have them gone! Sadly, i see this more and more, having just passed a 1970s Sako A-7 in 7mm mag that some one wanted gone and no one to pass it on to!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top