JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And if you haven't held/shot a G43X or G48, I encourage you to give them a try. You might overcome the aversion to a SF pistol if it checks all the other boxes. I have smallish hands and my G43X is my EDC.

Edit:. Just saw your last post. The single stacks feel much different in the hand than the G19.

The XD-E is a narrow (thin) gun, as are most single-stack firearms. No surprise it is thinner than any of the double-stack similar guns.

My personal favorite single-stack 9mm is the older Sig P225. I always wished they would do a shorter slide/grip subcompact version of it. Instead they did the P239, which is still a decent gun, but it isn't the P225.

Hey there,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on what I'd like to carry, but can't because I'm unaware if it exists. I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory handguns, I have 2 already, and will likely have more down the road. What I want is basically the XD-E but in the size and magazine capacity of the Hellcat. So you don't all have to go to the website I posted the comparison.

My reasoning is I prefer not to carry a striker fired handgun "locked and loaded". I'm just not comfortable doing it, so I won't. I would carry a hammer fired double action with a round in the chamber and fire the first round double action. This is also how I keep my Beretta setup next to my bed.

Since Springfield won't answer my requests to make said handgun I guess I have to carry the XD-E the way it is, or find something else that is similar, maybe with magazine capacity closer to the Hellcat? Is the reason for the increased size of the XD-E because of the hammer mechanism? Does anyone have any suggested alternatives that meet my requirements better than the XD-E?

Hellcat XD-E
Caliber9mm9mm
Color Black Black
Length 6" 6.75"
Height 4" w/ Flush Mag, 4.5" w/ Extended Mag 5" w/ Flush Mag, 5.25" w/ Extended Mag
Weight 18.3 oz w/ Flush Mag, 18.6 oz w/ Extended Mag 24.8 oz w/ Flush Mag, 25.6 oz w/ Extended Mag
Barrel 3" Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite® Finish, 1:10 3.3" Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite® Finish, 1:10
Magazines (1) 11-Round, (1) 13-Round Extended (1) 8-Round, (1) 9-Round Extended
MSRP $569 $542
Get a DAO rig.

Edit, add.. didn't read all your particulars etc. but Bimart sells DAO SCCY (?) Pistols for like $150.
Don't have one but hear they're good.

Last Edited:
If weight isn't too much of an issue, CZ and Tanfoglio make some great compacts. I have a Tanfoglio Witness Steel Compact. It is not as narrow as the single stacks, 1.4 inches and is around 30 ounces - SA/DA, no decocker (cocked and locked) and 14 rounds of 9mm. CZ 75 PCR's are nice at 1.38 inches in width and 15 rounds of 9mm.

I am also playing with a SCCY CPX 1. Small, light, DAO, hidden hammer and 10+1 rounds of 9mm. New Galloway trigger set and solid steel guide rod and recoil spring. I haven't upgrade it yet, but so far has been flawless. I wouldn't trust it for concealed carry until I upgrade it and run a couple of hundred rounds through it.

My reasoning is I prefer not to carry a striker fired handgun "locked and loaded". I'm just not comfortable doing it, so I won't. I would carry a hammer fired double action with a round in the chamber and fire the first round double action.

This is a very interesting discussion - thanks for initiating it.

Curious as to the reason you are not comfortable with a chambered round in a striker fired pistol, but you are comfortable with a chambered round in a DA/SA pistol. I think you alluded to a couple of reasons, but I didn't catch specifically what created your concern.

Is it because you don't trust the striker system which is under partial tension?

Or is it because you want the first shot to have the heavier trigger press of a DA - making the first shot require a very intentional trigger press?

Or both ... or neither ... or something else?

If it's the concern about that first trigger press - I can relate and have the same concern.

I'm not a fan of the 5 to 6 lb factory trigger press weight of most mass produced striker-fired defensive handguns (Glock, Springfield, Smith, etc.) FOR CARRY OR DEFENSIVE USE. (5 lbs is great at the range).

I want that first trigger press to be heavier to prevent an adrenaline fueled, fight-or-flight, schit-my-pants, negligent discharge. So I've installed 8lb trigger connectors and appropriate connector springs in the handguns (Glocks) I carry or have staged for self-defense to bring the trigger press to between 8 and 9 lbs. This is a significant difference in the felt weight of the press.

Obviously each subsequent trigger press is around 8 to 9 lbs, unlike the lighter SA trigger press after the first round fired from a DA/SA. But with about 500 - 600 dry fires, it took me no time at all to get just as accurate and fast with a 8.5 lb trigger press as a 5.5 lb trigger press. And as much as I love DA/SA pistols, I hate the transition between the first DA shot to subsequent SA shots.

FWIW and YMMV.

Cheers.

M&P makes striker guns with safeties on them.

And as for size, they offer a wide variety of single stacks (Shield variants) and double stacks.

I personally don't understand all the fuss with the current crop of single stacks. The dimensional difference between single stacks and doubles stacks is pretty small. A Glock 19 sized gun is VERY easy to carry and conceal in most situations with the right holster. And it's particularly confusing to me when people slap an extended mag base onto a single stack which makes the grip pretty close to a Glock 19 size anyway. But to each his own. :)

Hey there,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on what I'd like to carry, but can't because I'm unaware if it exists. I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory handguns, I have 2 already, and will likely have more down the road. What I want is basically the XD-E but in the size and magazine capacity of the Hellcat. So you don't all have to go to the website I posted the comparison.

My reasoning is I prefer not to carry a striker fired handgun "locked and loaded". I'm just not comfortable doing it, so I won't. I would carry a hammer fired double action with a round in the chamber and fire the first round double action. This is also how I keep my Beretta setup next to my bed.

Since Springfield won't answer my requests to make said handgun I guess I have to carry the XD-E the way it is, or find something else that is similar, maybe with magazine capacity closer to the Hellcat? Is the reason for the increased size of the XD-E because of the hammer mechanism? Does anyone have any suggested alternatives that meet my requirements better than the XD-E?

See my comments above about the Springfield stikers being cocked and locked.

A suggested alternative to what you want are the Beretta double action pistols. Quality guns there.

If you can live with slightly larger than the XD-E, I'll second the CZ PCR. CZ has used different capacity mags over the years, mine came with 14 rd, which would be about the same height as your Springfield with the extended mag, a 16 rd. mag will add about 1/4". Length is right at 7", width with rubber grips is about 1.25", but you can get thin aluminum grips that will bring it down to an inch or so. Weight with 16 rounds of 124 gr. on board is 34 oz. DA/SA with decocker, mine has been flawless through more than 1000 rounds. Nice little pistol, I like mine a lot. BTW, it basically replaced an XD-s, this is only slightly less concealable for me, is much easier to shoot, and offers about twice the capacity. Later.

Dave

I'll just leave this here...

6z2gTFz.jpg

Slightly off topic, slightly not. I've owned a few HKs and this pic made me drool just a little.

The on topic part. The HKs I've owned were full size (Mark 23, USP 45, USP 40), but I can vouch that they're top quality builds. I'd bet you'd be very happy with the quality of one if it fit your size and safety needs.
There is nothing, and I mean nothing I like more than my HKs but they don't do subcompact very well. Which is why I don't carry one. Controls are perfect, even being wrong handed

I look okay in that picture you see to the left, and maybe you can't tell I'm old enough to collect Social Security. (I do, but I still work part time by choice) When I carry, it's usually the S/W Model 4506. When camping, I also have the S/W 357 Ladysmith in 3-inch hanging around somewhere. That thing isn't just for women. It's not too heavy, well-made, and packs a punch even with it's only-five-shots-in-the-cylinder setup. That's for scaring away bears or buttheads when camping solo.

Old guy. Old school. It figures. I still have a working Super Nintendo system with my favorite games for it. I'm nowhere near modern. :) It's okay to laugh.

I don't care to carry any semi automatics with a round in the chamber, so I practice draw and rack. This eliminates the heavy first round trigger pull, makes the drill the same for all the semi's and being left handed in a right hand world means I can ignore the thumb safety.

I'm only here to pass the time and see what the rest of you are doing. I find it really interesting that someone would go thru the time and effort to do a spread sheet for a gun. I get it, but that's just so foreign to me. (I use spread sheets for other things, though)
Striker fired guns aren't my big interest, but I had a S&W Shield I thought was fantastic. Ammo capacity was a bit limited, but better than a revolver. I also have a Glock 22, but that's a different story.
Since I often carry a 1911 "cocked and locked", concerns about striker fired guns go right over my head. I'd not sweat it, but what do I know about someone else's comfort zone.
I must be getting too old. I've switched my small guns from semis to revolvers.

CZ RAMI 2075 BD is close. Somewhere between in size. They are a little thick too. But a nice quality and good shooting gun.

CZ 2075 BD
CZ 2075 BD or HK P30SK would a strong look. Maybe a SIG P225-A1

Have several CZ2075 Rami's. Fantastic carries for folks whom can grip a standard 75B, or a Compact/PCR well.

A bit higher MSRP, but can be found less on the used market. May be more challenging to find new ATM, due to lower number produced. Likely try Kieths in Gresham first, if one is looking for a new one.

Some come with night sights, some don't.

They accept 75B & Compact/PCR mags, handy for backup magazine carry.

This is a very interesting discussion - thanks for initiating it.

Curious as to the reason you are not comfortable with a chambered round in a striker fired pistol, but you are comfortable with a chambered round in a DA/SA pistol. I think you alluded to a couple of reasons, but I didn't catch specifically what created your concern.

Is it because you don't trust the striker system which is under partial tension?

Or is it because you want the first shot to have the heavier trigger press of a DA - making the first shot require a very intentional trigger press?

Or both ... or neither ... or something else?

If it's the concern about that first trigger press - I can relate and have the same concern.

I'm not a fan of the 5 to 6 lb factory trigger press weight of most mass produced striker-fired defensive handguns (Glock, Springfield, Smith, etc.) FOR CARRY OR DEFENSIVE USE. (5 lbs is great at the range).

I want that first trigger press to be heavier to prevent an adrenaline fueled, fight-or-flight, schit-my-pants, negligent discharge. So I've installed 8lb trigger connectors and appropriate connector springs in the handguns (Glocks) I carry or have staged for self-defense to bring the trigger press to between 8 and 9 lbs. This is a significant difference in the felt weight of the press.

Obviously each subsequent trigger press is around 8 to 9 lbs, unlike the lighter SA trigger press after the first round fired from a DA/SA. But with about 500 - 600 dry fires, it took me no time at all to get just as accurate and fast with a 8.5 lb trigger press as a 5.5 lb trigger press. And as much as I love DA/SA pistols, I hate the transition between the first DA shot to subsequent SA shots.

FWIW and YMMV.

Cheers.

Thanks for asking! For me, it's a combination of the things you mentioned. I don't "trust" a striker fired handgun as much. I'm sure arguments can be made that this is unjustified but it doesn't change how I feel. Maybe I could learn to trust them more if I practiced but I honestly just don't feel comfortable with them when a round is chambered and they are ready to fire, unless i'm about to shoot.

The heavy first trigger pull is also a very valid point. I want to be sure that I want the first round to go off. I know that subsequent rounds will have a much lighter pull, and that's fine, I can train for that.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews