JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting what my wife calls "The little uglys" is always fun.
The little uglys in this case are bits and pieces of her homemade soap.
The old leftovers or just colors that didn't work etc ....
Its all natural and biodegradable.
Andy

Growing up, I was the only one of my friends with a 'real' gun - my Marlin 60. We would head out somewhere in the woods, each packing stuff we didn't want or need as targets. Stuff like bottles and cans, but also old Hot Wheels, Lego's and one day, my old retainer (that one felt really good to blow apart). We never bothered with much long distance stuff, so most shooting was done inside of 100 yards. Cheap fun which usually ended when the Marlin would get too dirty to shoot any longer for that day.

That 'splains it - but begs the question of how you have never heard that song before? Time warp? Never listened to the man in black before? I think next to Ring of Fire and Walk the Line, Folsom Prison Blues is one of Mr. Cash's most iconic songs.

my buddys grandpa was in to keeping everything. after he died he found a stash of really creepy lawn gnomes. yeah we eliminated them before they caused mayhem. a 300 win mag and 338 win mag sent them boys uh-flyin'

after that we had a contest who could hit them with a .22 the furthest away off hand with the least amount of shots. i had my 10/22 with a scope and he had his old mossberg 22 he calls "betsy" he beat me at 220yard with iron sights FIRST shot. man, i need to practice.

That 'splains it - but begs the question of how you have never heard that song before? Time warp? Never listened to the man in black before? I think next to Ring of Fire and Walk the Line, Folsom Prison Blues is one of Mr. Cash's most iconic songs.
Are we turning this into the Johnny Cash thread now?:D

Another weapon I have had the opportunity to shoot was a belt fed M-60. Back in the 90's ARPC used to have full auto competitions twice a year. I was in the Navy Reserves then and would make the trip with some guys in the Army National Guard. They took one of the M-60's from the vault to Oregon. I used it in a crew served match and took third place. The plaque still hangs proudly on the wall today.

Last Edited:
Another weapon I have had the opportunity to shoot was a belt fed M-60. Back in the 90's ARPC used to have full auto competitions twice a year. I was in the Navy Reserves then and would make the trip with some guys in the Army National Guard. They took one of the M-60's from the vault to Oregon. I used it in a crew served match and took third place. The plaque still hangs proudly on the wall today.

Well, try carrying that pig 20 miles and then come back and say how much fun they are.

:DWell, this is fun to me...

Sometimes we create dumb little games at the range. We use a lot of little fluorescent-colored sticky target-dots on our bullseye targets to make them last longer. Sometimes, we'll pick one of these target dots, and shoot at it til it's completely gone from the target. Sounds easy, but to get every little piece of orange gone, it can take a lot of ammo, and a lot of time.

Flies on a target are always fun to shoot.

I have stopped at fruit stands and picked up over-ripe fruit. Apples and oranges. Take em out to the desert, scatter them around, and I've got targets I don't have to clean up. Eggs work good, too.

I shot a huge paper-cone wasp nest one time. Fortunately for us, we were at a pretty fair distance. It was like nobody was home, til the head wasp said, "okay, on the count of three, all ten-thousand of us will form a black cloud and head for that blue Suburban". No big deal. We had plenty of time to roll the windows up and get outta there.

WAYNO.

I was at the Worland (Wyoming) rifle range, hanging out in the parking lot, and John Linebaugh walks up. He asks if we wanted to try shooting one of his Ruger conversions in .500 Linebaugh. Needless to say, we agreed. :) (He was trying to make a sale, obviously.)

Welcome to John Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns -

So I ranged the backstop, it was about 850 yards out there, and there was a big rock on it that we tried to hit. I tried John's gun, it was a kick in the pants letting one go and waiting for several seconds before it hit the backstop. It was dry and dusty so you could see exactly where those big bullets hit. I also had my S&W 629 and could do the same thing with it. I don't know if I ever hit that rock but it sure was fun trying.

6 Phantom Shots

My father in law (at the time) was visiting and we went to do "manly stuff" while the girls were busy.

One of our targets was a white Styrofoam head for a wig. Walked that about 100 yards up the hill and jammed it onto a stick. We did some close-range can-plinking by the truck with my pistols and then finally busted out a scoped Marlin 30-30 I'd borrowed to reach out and administer the coup de gras to the head.

Shooting freehand, I missed it. Mumbling something about the superior skills he acquired in the Army, my father in law snatched the rifle away from me and fired at the head. He missed too.

Back and forth we went, shot for shot, profane insults becoming less civil with each round fired - 3 apiece - all the rifle ammo we had. And we never even jiggled it!

So there we were, looking like a couple of barrel chested bucks scratching the dirt, snorting steam and ready to lock horns. We finally agreed that it had to be a faulty scope (on my buddy's rifle). "Couldn't be operator error!" (grumble… grumble… grumble…)

We were getting ready to leave and policing the area when he started laughing hysterically up at the top of the hill. He brought the head down and showed me 6 distinct holes through it. Clean. Like a drill press.

Last Edited:
When I was younger my friends and I would shoot at the small pellet gun CO2 cartridges with our 22 rifles. That was fun most would zip off in the sky.

Also loved shooting golf balls with the 22s.

One summer we were in an old burn out area outside bend shooting tannerite and started straping it to the old burnt trees. We help take a couple down:

One had the side blown out of it and was leaning pretty good but didn't fall. So my genius friend starts blasting it with his 12ga, i got hit in the arm with a pellet but no damage.
Then the tree slowly falls over. I have a video on it somewhere.

Sure. It was in the deep woods and we were were behind sufficient cover. Damn bottle flew all over the place. Hold my beer.
*** Have done this with butane bottles, so-called m80's and 7.62 tracers at night... No, don't ask, and it was all legal where I was, and a long time ago!...:D
***To the OP, I have done what you describe using a .45Auto, shooting at down range- large tin cans just to see the can and it's dirt filling fly all over the place. There was enuff time after pulling the trigger to look down range and watch the impact...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top