JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recent posts brought to mind.
My oldest son and I were plinking at a barrel/55 drum and we got to wondering how many times we could hit it fast. It was sitting out at 250 yards and we started hitting it with a 10/22. No big deal in itself but we got so we could fire 7 shots before the first round hit. At the first hit we would stop shooting just to hear the next rounds hit in rapid progression. Don't know why but we thought it was just funny. Went through many boxes of shells.

One of those cheap hatchets that they still sell.
I was sixteen years old and packed that thing fifty miles into the Bob Marshal Wilderness only to find that it was only good for bouncing off of wood. Holed the head with my 30-06 and left it in the brush.

Had a 44 Anaconda and wondered if it would go through this old downed tree. Was about 7 or 8 " thick. Did a fine job and left a fair size crater beneath it too.

A buddy and I got 50lbs of Tannerite. We took about 10lbs in a bag and taped it to 1lbs propane can went back about 30yard and shot it with our AR. We kept missing and thought we didn't mix the tannerite right. Well we where getting more relaxed about it not going off by not being behind cover, which was MY truck lol, my buddy's last shot set it off.when it went off huge explosion that you could feel the pressure passing buy you. Luckily the propane bottle just shot off in the opposite direction about 25-30 yard. Those are great memories. Wish we had video.

I taught my boys how to shoot by shooting golf balls with a 10/22.

When you hit them they can fly a good distance and then you have a new shot to go for.

Some other fun things were a 76 Vega, 86 Subaru sedan and a 76 Dodge van as experiments to see what different calibers would do to different part of the cars.

Shot a head of cabbage at close range...small entry...a gummy crater on the other side. I felt a bit odd after doing that. LOL

An odd colored leaf about 5 inches long and three inches wide at 145 paces , with my .54 Hawken.
It was one of those : "I bet you can't hit that ... " kinda things.
Not the most dramatic or exciting , but extremely satisfying after hearing some disparaging remarks about traditional muzzle loading rifles.
Andy

Apples,other fruit and veggies,pop cans
Full pop cans.
My old buddy in Sequim wanted to shoot one with his 22. We had them out at rifle range so he walked out to see what his little pistol would do.
He shoots then turns real quick. Oh crap I thought the pallet had shrapneled his face.
Well the cans blow out towards the initial hit...his face!
He was just sticky faced for a bit
I tell ya though those little 22 cal tannerite charges are the best BANG for the buck.

My Brothers and Cousins and I would have competitions to see who could hit stuff the farthest, off hand with a .22 rifle. We got so we could take out hanging pine cones at 150 yards!!! Pretty challenging stuff. Open Sights we would shoot marbles off a straw at 100 yards or more, until we ran out of marbles! Best shooting I ever saw, One of my cousins would hit dragon flies on the wing at 50 feet more or less! Thankfully we had the good sence to have good backstops when we did this, no telling how far a .22 can still be deadly

I wasn't the shooter but one of the witnesses along with about 7 other people and 1 animal. I was the one sayn "there's no f-ing way your gonna hit that" when my buddy hit a keg, not once but twice, at roughly 600 yds with a P22.... Couldn't f-ing believe it. If I wasn't there to see it I would call some SERIOUS bullscat......

Went walking and shooting near Otay Lakes/Brown Field last century when you could hop a wire fence by the highway and wander the hills all afternoon.

Spotted a rusty water heater abandoned in deep grass about 1/2 mile down a steep hill. Felt the breeze, applied lots of up and left (which corresponded with an almost invisible crease in a ridge another 100 yd beyond the tank) and took a pot-shot with my 10/22. Long delay and a distinct "clack." Total lucky guess on my part, but I had the dope in one shot.

Went through 500 rounds with my GF and buddy trying to get a single hit with their 22's, which they never did (while I kept batting about .750-800). Drove them CRAZY! But a brick of Federal was $7-8 at Gemco so I didn't feel bad.

hunting in eastern Oregon we stumbled on to a deep barren canyon we guessed 1000 to 1500 yards wide at the top. the south side wall on the other side had an oxidized dull beige shale or sandstone or maybe clay which when hit left a two or three foot size bright red dot as it flaked off the surface. using the prone position, we had fun watching the dots appear allowing us to walk our shots into place. No new dot meant you hit the one you were aiming for (albeit a three foot circle)

Several years ago I was camping with some friends and we were informally shooting in the afternoon and I was having the proverbial 'good day' with my .58 cal Zouave muzzleloader. I was hitting a lot of off hand targets and taking crap I was 'getting lucky' so I got bold (and overconfident) and told someone to go set an egg on the top of a lone T post that was in the ground about 75 yards away. I calmly loaded and announced I will shoot kneeling and the bullet will hit the top of the fence post and of course break the egg. So into the kneeling position, a deep breath, line up the sights, pull the trigger and SPLAT ! the egg disappears. A friend walks out to the post, looks at the end and quietly walks back shaking his head. When he got back he quietly told the group "There is fresh lead on the top of the post" I didn't get 'razzed' anymore about getting lucky!

Last Edited:
Yer not really doin' it right!

I watched my mom peel three .25-35 cases off a fence at 100 dad paces with three shots from her .22 target rifle! Offhand!

Most enjoyable shot I've made was at a bad toilet! I had to replace the wax ring on my toilet. You know, nasty but not a difficult job! Well, it was difficult enough that I ended up with a cracked tank! :mad: So I took the old unit to a friend's ranch, placed it in the middle of his dump, took my most powerful rifle, a .30/06 and hottest hand load and ended its little awhole career! :D It made a truly impressive mushroom cloud of porcelain!

Another time on the same ranch, we were hiking along hunting Grey Diggers and my buddy spotted a Digger on a stump. He was carrying my 6mm Remington, again with a hot hand load.
So, old Mark flips the rifle up and nuked the critter! Problem was, it was about 30' from us! Rained bits all over us! Red mist are us! Hilarious!!!:D

Not really funny but I made one of the best shots of my life that day! Using that same 6mm. A Czech commercial Mauser with a butter knife bolt, built by Wes Reynolds, an old timey PDX gunsmith? I still have it! :) At any rate, I spotted what I was sure was a squirrels head, on a log, way the hells out there! My friend said "no it's a stick," and I replied BS! He says "so shoot it and we'll walk over there, and find a stick!!!" Okay, awhole! So I took up a solid position, actually went through a checklist in my mind, breath, sight picture, etc, and squeezed one off! So we head out there and my pal, who wants to humiliate me for shooting at a stick, starts counting paces. Well.....440 odd yards later he peeks over the log and golly! I, being a smartazz, said, well Richard, I can't prove that's a Grey Digger. 'CAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD!!! But, I'm pretty sure it's not a stick!
To give him his due, he still says, 30yrs later, that it was the best shot he's ever seen. Damn right! ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top