What happens if a type of gun you own becomes illegal?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by h4344, Sep 14, 2016.

1. h4344

h4344
    Portland, OR

So just curious as to what happens if a type of gun you own (Lets say the AR15 because anti-gun supporters seem to see it as Satan's right hand) becomes illegal in your state. Not illegal to buy, where if you already own it your fine. But just illegal you are not supposed to have it.

Like does the tooth fairy show up and take them away? What? Aside from the obvious fact of it being BS because the second amendment i cant imagine its as simple as some collectors who might have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their firearms just having them taken away.

Just curious :p

2. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Grandfathered in, or they "disappear".

3. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace
    Tacoma-ish

New Jersey has made it so.
    • Anyone who owned an AR-15 or other assault rifle before May 1, 1990, can keep the weapon so long as they registered the weapon before May 1, 1990, and the state Attorney General's office determined it was used for target shooting.
    Everybody else with an AR-15 was notified that their rifle had to be either taken out of the state or turned in to be destroyed (so they say anyway.)

Although Connecticut and New York are bad, as far as I know New Jersey is the worst case of an AW ban law.

So far.

PBinWA, Joe13, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  4. h4344

h4344
    Portland, OR

Im assuming that is not always the case or have past bans pretty much pointed in that direction generally?

Gonna throw in another related question to avoid a new thread but do bans (In terms of AR15's in this case) apply to the lower receiver alone or parts and accessories as well?

5. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Well, unless a mandatory buyback/turn-in is part of the law written to ban a particular weapon it would be grandfathered in.

Joe13, nammac and h4344 like this.
  6. Dungannon

Dungannon
    Vancouver, WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

In the case of turn-ins, some people just get forgetful. ;)

JohnnyD, maddog and Joe13 like this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not much would happen. As we've seen in other states, we could expect at least 85% of owners would ignore such a law - they would keep their guns and go about their business. Maybe they wouldn't be seen out shooting them at the local range, but rest assured, only a few would ever comply with such a bogus law. Heck even New York, the anti-gunner's paradise, has over 85% non-compliance with the SAFE act.

maddog, Joe13, albin25 and 7 others like this.
  8. Hawaiian

Hawaiian
    Tigard Oregon

Prohibition on possession or ownership of mags and AR's is in the game play book of all of the anti's. They are working their way to this one prohibition at a time. But it is their end objective. So, yes any state could pass legislation prohibiting them. Of course, it would be challenged in the courts, but they will wait for the right time politically to move on it. Like when the next President appoints a liberal anti 2nd Amendment Supreme Court Justice. Maybe up to three of them over the next eight years.

Joe13, Brutus57, Gene Rojas and 4 others like this.
  9. JO JO

JO JO
    Vancouver WA

I too was wondering the same thing as I was thinking of picking up an AR carbine model to match
    the one I have but was thinking with this possible ban coming our way should I buy something else like a nice bolt action ?
    kind off hate to continue to invest in the AR platform if it may be banned , I don't want to hide
    my rifle I want to shoot it :)
    I don't know perhaps I will just keep the AR family I have and not add to it ??

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

This is why we have the BGC laws; after a number of years, they will have enough data to know who is likely to have guns and enough evidence to go to court if they deny they own them and/or do not turn them in when the ban comes about.

A ban does not good if you don't know who has guns, much less prove they have them.

maddog, Slobray, Joe13 and 6 others like this.
  11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    45th Parallel
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

dogsledding accident

12. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

The damn goat ate em

TheDude90, maddog, Arleyg and 5 others like this.
  13. nammac

nammac
    I-5 Corridor - West of Portland

Ban all you want, it'll only strengthen the black market...

If they can't control firearms ownership and trafficking in Chicago, you got nothing to worry about with banning a particular style of rifle or particular magazine capacity...

Just my .02 cents worth...

wired, AndyinEverson, Joe13 and 4 others like this.
  14. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist
    Oregon
    AK's all day.

You'd see a ton of boating accident insurance claims. ;)

JohnnyD, maddog, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  15. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

What gun?

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed

Nammac is 100% correct! As has been seen in other states where Bans have happened, nothing can "force" you to turn in any thing! Heck, we had the Mag Ban where I live a few years ago, and besides a few folks that got popped, nothing actually happened as far as confiscation or mandated turn ins. They cant do much of any thing or maintain the ability to keep doing any thing long enough to make any sort of ban stick! And besides, many of us will not comply, so it's a moot point!

maddog, AndyinEverson, Joe13 and 6 others like this.
  17. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    45th Parallel

yeah then magpul moved IIRC

Joe13 and nammac like this.
  18. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Silver Supporter

Exactly. Something cannot be controlled until it is understood, identified and documented.

Joe13 likes this.
  19. Stomper

Stomper
    Ungovernable!
    Become Ungovernable! Gold Supporter

Any "ban fairy" that attempts to take my kit will lose their bubblegumming teeth. o_O

JohnnyD, 40isforme, Joe13 and 5 others like this.
  20. Greenbug

Greenbug
    Bend

I will fart in their general direction because their mother was a hampster and their father smelt of elderberries!