JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
well my misapprehension, I thought it was censored. as I couldnt find it anywhere.
As far as the "hate" directed toward:eek: Ms Giffords and her hub, it is an understandable anger which would be (and is) directed toward ANY one especially those in the public eye who would take away OUR gun RIGHTS,

I wonder if you'd feel any differently if you'd been shot in the head. While I disagree with her on gun rights, it's pretty ridiculous to pretend you don't see where she's coming from, and why she feels the way she does. I'm guessing you have at least one or two opinions of your own that you hold because of an emotional position, and not a logical one.

Either way, she didn't lobby to have the ship named after herself.

Oh how things get spun.

My aunt was killed by a drunk driver. It was horrible. I will now attach my name to fundraisers, raising millions of dollars in donations, to convince the public that cars should be outlawed. But you've got to understand how we must feel.

Rhetoric? You betcha!

Last Edited:
I "feel" bad about what happened to Gabby. That doesn't mean I have to honor her and her husband's crusade. I will give them both the respect that they deserve, but I don't personally like them because of the crap they are pushing. And I don't see why she should have a ship named after her, nor John McCain. Although I didn't read the thread, maybe the USSN Daffy Duck would be good as long as they are picking names that haven't accomplished great things.

My own Opinion the Navy should only " EVER " Name Military Vessels after Military Personnel including a POTUS.
naming after anyone else seem disrespectful. Yes I realize its been done before, just doesnt seem right.
Having a Political character makes no sense. Why not just get it over with and call it the USS DunesBerry
so they can wrap the whole thing in a rainbow.

My own Opinion the Navy should only " EVER " Name Military Vessels after Military Personnel including a POTUS.
naming after anyone else seem disrespectful. Yes I realize its been done before, just doesnt seem right.
Having a Political character makes no sense. Why not just get it over with and call it the USS DunesBerry
so they can wrap the whole thing in a rainbow.
You know if Hillary would have won the next one would have been the USS BLOOMBERG LOL

From what I could find online, it appears that the naming conventions for ships by the US Navy do allow for some classes of ships to be named after "Distinguished Americans". My argument in the other thread is that Mrs. Giffords, aside from surviving a shooting, has really not done anything I would consider 'distinguished'. Prior to the shooting, she was relatively unknown outside of her home state. Her career as a politician was pretty unremarkable with no records I can find of being responsible for any great legislative victories. If anything stands out it was her push for more border security for her home state.

But the shooting elevated her to a very public figure. And she, combined with the new fame of her astronaut husband, decided to use her personal tragedy to attack/restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. She was given a bully pulpit by her friends in the media and elevated to near sainthood status because she survived a shooting. And while I bear no ill-will to her or her husband and, in fact, have considerable sympathy for what they've been through, I don't see how her personal tragedy equates to "distinguished American".

I am, therefore, forced to conclude that this action, just like the symbolic action of giving the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama before he'd even done anything (a prize, based on his 8-year record, I believe should be revoked), is unearned and undeserved and simply seeks to honor and elevate someone whose only real contribution now is to fight against constitutional rights for Americans. There are so many real heroes, truly distinguished Americans that will never get a fraction of the recognition that Gabby Giffords gets, and why is that? Because they're not friends with the right people, with the right influence and the right power.

So, is it 'blind hatred' to be offended by the wasted use of this great honor to someone that many of us don't believe has done anything to merit? Is it blind hatred to be angry that this person receives an honor for doing nothing more than surviving, when so many others not only survived but fought and defended valiantly the very rights that Mrs. Giffords seeks to destroy? No, I think the intense dislike, hatred if you will, is well justified because this action is wholly undeserved and quite disrespectful toward real distinguished Americans.

That is where I stand on this issue, like it or not, I find this choice to name a ship after Mrs. Giffords to be nothing more than a symbolic political ploy/favor that is based on no merit whatsoever. As an American, I find this decision offensive and dishonring to people that truly deserve it.

Last Edited:
From what I could find online, it appears that the naming conventions for ships by the US Navy do allow for some classes of ships to be named after "Distinguished Americans". My argument in the other thread is that Mrs. Giffords, aside from surviving a shooting, has really not done anything I would consider 'distinguished'. Prior to the shooting, she was relatively unknown outside of her home state. Her career as a politician was pretty unremarkable with no records I can find of being responsible for any great legislative victories. If anything stands out it was her push for more border security for her home state.

But the shooting elevated her to a very public figure. And she, combined with the new fame of her astronaut husband, decided to use her personal tragedy to attack/restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. She was given a bully pulpit by her friends in the media and elevated to near sainthood status because she survived a shooting. And while I bear no ill-will to her or her husband and, in fact, have considerable sympathy for what they've been through, I don't see how her personal tragedy equates to "distinguished American".

I am, therefore, forced to conclude that this action, just like the symbolic action of giving the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama before he'd even done anything (a prize, based on his 8-year record, I believe should be revoked), is unearned and undeserved and simply seeks to honor and elevate someone whose only real contribution now is to fight against constitutional rights for Americans. There are so many real heroes, truly distinguished Americans that will never get a fraction of the recognition that Gabby Giffords gets, and why is that? Because they're not friends with the right people, with the right influence and the right power.

So, is it 'blind hatred' to be offended by the wasted use of this great honor to someone that many of us don't believe has done anything to merit? Is it blind hatred to be angry that this person receives an honor for doing nothing more than surviving, when so many others not only survived but fought and defended valiantly the very rights that Mrs. Giffords seeks to destroy? No, I think the intense dislike, hatred if you will, is well justified because this action is wholly undeserved and quite disrespectful toward real distinguished Americans.

That is where I stand on this issue, like it or not, I find this choice to name a ship after Mrs. Giffords to be nothing more than a symbolic political ploy/favor that is based on no merit whatsoever. As an American, I find this decision offensive and dishonring to people that truly deserve it.
They her and her husband didn't jump right in on the anti gun control thing right away they where obviously bought and paid for.

The naming conventions of naval ships needs to be codified, hard, by Congress to prevent ridiculous games like the recently played one where the most anti-Navy Secretary of the Navy ever, Ray Mabus, named ships after a gun grabber, a pedophile who was given an OTH discharge, and a labor activist who called the Navy "the worst two years of his life."

First. Strike the stupid, and newly reemphasized, convention of naming large capital ships (and a sub) after Presidents. There was absolutely nothing wrong with naming said ships after famous military battles, various states, or recycling famous names with tradition behind them, such as Enterprise, Wasp, Hornet, etc. Naming vessels after presidents just invites needless political rancor.

Next, no naming ships after ANY persons who were not in uniform for the armed forces and who didn't devote their lives to the service, gave their lives in service, or didn't win the first or second highest awards for valor. No future Carl Vinsons, no other USS Winston Churchill, no future Gabby Giffords, no future activist anybodies from any part of the spectrum. There's no shortage of towns and rivers and minor battles in and about the US to name auxiliary vessels after.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads