JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hi.
i am new to web site and dont know alot about guns, i would like to buy a hand gun to cary with me duing my travels around the north west. Most of the time i would be in a car or truck sometimes i would cary it on me. I am open to any brand or caliber.

Thanks
Trainwreck

i am also new to guns and got my chl and i have a glock 27 its a 40 cal and i like it alot real small but still thick (no jokes needed) so decently easy to shoot especially with finger extension if you ever get towards clackamas you can come shoot with me sometime if your interested

Okay, then Glock 19. Good size (not too small, not too large), 9mm is cheap for practice/training, 15rd magazines provide plenty of opportunities to hit your target, and they are easy to find new or used.

Just go with a glock, or similar gun. I own a rifle, but I'm looking at an FNP-Series handgun as my first.

Glocks are simple, easy to operate and can be abused without too much worry.

Also spend some extra and get a .22 so you can learn to shoot cheaply.

I'd honestly recommend either a Commander sized 1911 or an Springfield armory XD9 Subcompact. Both are easy to shoot with, small enough to conceal, and effective calibers. The Subcompact XD9 will be more concealable but 1911's have the best SA trigger ever designed IMHO. The XD9 has a very nice trigger as well and being a 9mm recoil is less but a little flippy.

Really you need to take every opportunity available to you to shoot as many different guns as possible before you purchase. We can only recommend what we have experience and like. You might have totally different tastes.

One things for sure though for a defensive handgun you want a 9mm or above for a semi-auto or 38 and above for a revolver. Anything less statistically comes up a little short. Now that I said that I will confess that I own and carry a 380 acp (9mm short) sometimes but I do have a little more experience then you do I think. Truth is you can stop a man with a wee little 22lr if you are a great shot under pressure but personally I wouldn't bet my life on one.

Hope this info helps.

hi.
i am new to web site and dont know alot about guns, i would like to buy a hand gun to cary with me duing my travels around the north west. Most of the time i would be in a car or truck sometimes i would cary it on me. I am open to any brand or caliber.

Thanks
Trainwreck

Please be aware that not all states honor other states' carry permits. When you take your class be sure you get that information.

Please be aware that not all states honor other states' carry permits. When you take your class be sure you get that information.

Good catch Gunner - I was about to say the same thing :s0155:
Here is a map that shows which states have reciprocity for Oregon Resident CHL.

Some people who travel a lot end up getting a Utah CHL in addition to their Oregon one.
this map shows why.

Any Gun you are willing to carry all the time will work. Learn to shoot, shot placement is the most important thing.

There are several dealers on here also that i am sure would let you hold some handguns and help you figure out what will work best for you.

take a basic handgun class. they will outline your best options for a gun w/ other invaluable information. in addition to letting you try other calibers and styles of guns. that being said, I'm a big supporter of the Ruger sp101 for beginners.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top