Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

what gun to buy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by trainwreck, Nov 3, 2009.

1. trainwreck

trainwreck salem Member

hi.
    i am new to web site and dont know alot about guns, i would like to buy a hand gun to cary with me duing my travels around the north west. Most of the time i would be in a car or truck sometimes i would cary it on me. I am open to any brand or caliber.

Thanks
    Trainwreck

2. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

There's a HUGE number of guns that would fit your criteria. Do you have (or plan on getting) a CHL? Is price a factor? Do you plan on shooting a lot or do you mostly plan on using the gun for self defense only?

3. ohsocountry1

ohsocountry1 clackamas oregon Member

i am also new to guns and got my chl and i have a glock 27 its a 40 cal and i like it alot real small but still thick (no jokes needed) so decently easy to shoot especially with finger extension if you ever get towards clackamas you can come shoot with me sometime if your interested

4. trainwreck

trainwreck salem Member

i will be getting my chl. and i would like to get into shooting but mostly would be for self defense. and price is not a big deal

5. Gendaito

Gendaito PDX Member

How about a revolver? Or do you prefer a semi-auto?

6. trainwreck

trainwreck salem Member

revolver or semi auto dosent matter to me

7. Gendaito

Gendaito PDX Member

Okay, then Glock 19. Good size (not too small, not too large), 9mm is cheap for practice/training, 15rd magazines provide plenty of opportunities to hit your target, and they are easy to find new or used.

8. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Just go with a glock, or similar gun. I own a rifle, but I'm looking at an FNP-Series handgun as my first.

Glocks are simple, easy to operate and can be abused without too much worry.

Also spend some extra and get a .22 so you can learn to shoot cheaply.

9. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I'd honestly recommend either a Commander sized 1911 or an Springfield armory XD9 Subcompact. Both are easy to shoot with, small enough to conceal, and effective calibers. The Subcompact XD9 will be more concealable but 1911's have the best SA trigger ever designed IMHO. The XD9 has a very nice trigger as well and being a 9mm recoil is less but a little flippy.

Really you need to take every opportunity available to you to shoot as many different guns as possible before you purchase. We can only recommend what we have experience and like. You might have totally different tastes.

One things for sure though for a defensive handgun you want a 9mm or above for a semi-auto or 38 and above for a revolver. Anything less statistically comes up a little short. Now that I said that I will confess that I own and carry a 380 acp (9mm short) sometimes but I do have a little more experience then you do I think. Truth is you can stop a man with a wee little 22lr if you are a great shot under pressure but personally I wouldn't bet my life on one.

Hope this info helps.

10. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I would say 9MM in a semi-auto and .357 magnum (you can shoot .38 special in it) in a revolver. I think that either would be an economical way to go and provide sufficient power for self defense.

11. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Please be aware that not all states honor other states' carry permits. When you take your class be sure you get that information.

12. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

Good catch Gunner - I was about to say the same thing :thumbup:
    Here is a map that shows which states have reciprocity for Oregon Resident CHL.

Some people who travel a lot end up getting a Utah CHL in addition to their Oregon one.
    this map shows why.

13. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

From the maps, the only two states that accepts the Oregon, but not the Utah is Michigan and Oregon.

14. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

Right, I don't think Oregon recognizes any other states CHL.

15. trainwreck

trainwreck salem Member

thank you for posting the chl map that is very helpfull

how hard is it to get the utah chl??

16. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

17. bshnt2015

bshnt2015 CA & WA Member

18. stepdad

stepdad Ephrata, Washington Member

As said, a G19 is one of the all-time great 9mm pistol's. G17? A Sig-Sauer? I'm a Beretta fan also. There are alot of choices. H&K pistols? Another fine choice.

19. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Any Gun you are willing to carry all the time will work. Learn to shoot, shot placement is the most important thing.

There are several dealers on here also that i am sure would let you hold some handguns and help you figure out what will work best for you.

20. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

take a basic handgun class. they will outline your best options for a gun w/ other invaluable information. in addition to letting you try other calibers and styles of guns. that being said, I'm a big supporter of the Ruger sp101 for beginners.