JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE AVERAGE MARKET VALUE OF EACH FIREARM IN THE USA IS?

• $400

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • $500

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • $600

Votes: 29 25.0%
  • $700

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • $800

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • $900

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1000

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • $1000+

Votes: 8 6.9%

• Total voters
Costs didn't go low enough for me. Think about the sheer quantity of cheap firearms like high-points, LCPs, old .38 sp, etc that are out there. Then recognize that all the budget firearms like your glocks, your rugers, etc, are all depreciated from their MSRP. Then think about how the AR-15 has had decent models under $500 for a decade, and some models for $300 with fair regularity in the past half decade. Same with Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s that regularly go around or substantially below $400 on good sales, then again take out depreciation for used goods since and there are for more used than new. Then consider their various clones and budget models like the H&R Pardner (I got one for $100 new just for laughs a few years ago) and the Mossberg Maverick. Also consider all the various budget bolt actions that have proven popular and capable for budget conscious hunters like the Savage Axis, Thompson Center Compass, and Ruger American. Then consider that the glock 19 and AR-15, 10/22 are some of the perpetual top-sellers, both of which have an endless myriad of clones and manufacturers that have pushed their resale value down-down-down as well.

Maybe my brain is more in "mode" than "mean", but there are a LOT of perfectly good guns that would fall well below the $400 mark. I know there's a lot of gloom and doom in the gun world, but the value market is VERY robust these days, we just don't see them on forums and classifieds as often as people would rather leave them in the closet or throw them in a lake than deal with the hassle of finding a dealer and paying the ransom, -er... I mean Reasonable Transfer Fee to get rid of them, especially in the modern era where selling it means it might get stuck in legal limbo infinitely while the check is in the queue. We're also kinda in a trend right now where people like to show off the nicest item they can buy and make fun of the person with the "good enough" item, so those budget-conscious people just stay quiet, which is something I'm hoping wears off soon; I always like to see the creativity people come up with when they don't feel constrained by what's cool/popular/expensive. We should celebrate the little guy actually shooting their perfectly serviceable PSA and not berate them just because it isn't a LaRue gathering dust on the shelf after the Instagram photoshoot.

I know if I was just getting started again, I'd probably get a T/C Compass, a DIY Glock clone on a purchased frame, and a self-assembled AR-15, and not one of them would cost more than $400 before optics. Mil-surp may have dried up, but US manufacturing has largely filled that gap it left behind.

Let's not forget stripped receivers. They are cheap and many.

I voted at $500 because for that money, most firearms at a shop would be +/- $300 so it's a pretty middle of the road price point

Just picked six average pistols from the classifieds.

599 average asking price
ads are generally pretty overpriced IMHO.

#6 is all over Gunbroker new for $999

30% overpriced

$419 average value.

Last Edited:
My first thought is at what cost are you willing to no longer be a free man. I see the value of owning firearms as much more that the actual dollars and cents.
Next is how do you set the value, the money I paid 40 years ago, maybe what they cost 100 years ago or today's market value or maybe project their value 20 years to when my kids have to pay an inheritance tax on them? Or is there value to be determined by how late the mortgage payment is?

Narrow your parameters.

The first guns the gubernment would try to confiscate...if they ever become that stupid...would likely be the evil, so called, assault weapons. Take pistols, shotguns, precision rifles, etc., out of the equation and try to figure out what would be an average price for an AR.

You could then use the 20 Million Assault Weapon figure the media always uses. However, I tend to think the number is much higher. 50 Million...at least.

Personally I think $1000 is a very conservative number for the AVERAGE price of AR's, etc. So you're looking at $20B or $50B to, "buy those back," depending on which number you think is more accurate. And if my math is right.

And remember...that's just the cost to buy the rifles. That is not the cost to administer the program and hire the jackbooted thugs to make it happen. You could probably just double the cost to account for the administration and you'd probably be close.

I read the OP as wanting to know "worth" of guns currently in circulation.

NOT what you paid for them plus cost of Romeo, mags, grips etc..

Doubtful any of my modern firearms would bring what I paid for them, why should they?

So on occasion I use the idea that to remove firearms from the economy of the USA would be devastating or someone suggests the government buy up the firearms or some other stupid idea. Along these lines I have been using 450 million firearms x their average market value. And its been put forth my estimate of value is wrong so I thought a poll might be interesting. Keep in mind this is everything from POS .25 autos to $100,000.00+ Winchesters and Antiques etc.
I would weigh heavily on the cheaper handguns as those are bought in such huge numbers. This would drop the average a bit from the price of ARs, Glocks etc. that are also purchased in huge numbers. But really that's just a wag. Check the gun sales top 10 for the last 5 years and average them might give you a ballpark number.

Last Edited:
In 2022 OR normally had 25,000 background checks per month or so. But between Nov.1 -Dec.10 there were 128,000 background checks due to measure 114. If you used $425 as an average then that's $54,400,000 in guns changing hands in less than 2 months in OR.

In 2022 OR normally had 25,000 background checks per month or so. But between Nov.1 -Dec.10 there were 128,000 background checks due to measure 114. If you used $425 as an average then that's $54,400,000 in guns changing hands in less than 2 months in OR.
That's presuming just 1 gun per BGC as well - I'd wager a guess that the average is probably closer to 2 than it is to 1…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top