JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if it's true but it appeared from what I read there were some folks trying to contact his employer. If that is indeed the case and the kids employment suffers in any way due to the clear harassment and intimidation caused by the thread starter then he has definite quantifiable damages and in the state of Washington punitive damages of up to 3 times his actual losses can be awarded.

I hope this case ends up being a lesson to folks who believe if THEY think something is un-ethical or immoral that then gives them the right to bully, harass, and intimidate other people.

If this case was truly about "morals" and "ethics" the op wouldn't have went out of his way to punish this kid, he could have written the exact same post and left out the poor kids identity and gotten the exact same result he says he wants. The OP was ticked off because some snot nose punk mouthed off to him instead of bowing to his wisdom and he wanted this kid to learn a lesson. There's only one thing in life I hate worse than snot nose kids and that's a bully.

What if the kid was fired because of all the racist and animal cruelty pics he posted himself and bragged about? This kid is his own worst enemy between what HE posted on FB and the public comments HE made are a big part of the problem. The majority of the backlash happened after people saw his PUBLIC FB page.

How can the original poster be liable for actions of others? So If I say I dont like John Doe and someone goes out and hurts him how is that my fault?

What if the kid was fired because of all the racist and animal cruelty pics he posted himself and bragged about? This kid is his own worst enemy between what HE posted on FB and the public comments HE made are a big part of the problem. The majority of the backlash happened after people saw his PUBLIC FB page.

How can the original poster be liable for actions of others? So If I say I dont like John Doe and someone goes out and hurts him how is that my fault?

Photos depicting racism and animal cruelty are awful, but have nothing to do with this incident. If this went to a civil trial, a good defense attorney would definitely try to bring these into evidence to try to paint the kid in a bad light, but again they have nothing to do with this incident.

The poster went out of his way to incite public retaliation against the diver. He did not merely say "I don't like punk kids that do this." He stated he was going to show this kid "what kind of an bubblegum he could be" gave every bit of identifying information he could so that the people on the forums could find and confront the kid. The original post leads to an almost immediate reply containing a threat of physical violence against the kid by another poster which should have led to a pause from the OP and maybe a change of course but he goes on to post pictures of the kid taken at the scene. Pictures which to me show a young kid being confronted and followed by a group of potentially very adversarial people. The other person who was with the poster at the time and was possibly the person who actually took the pictures then posts asking people to look out for him and "give him a piece of their mind" because he didn't show the proper "respect" for his dive site.

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and then wash your hands of it claiming you aren't responsible what other people do in response.

The diver (Bob) wanted to find out who the kid was as to boycott him from the local dive shops. Last time I checked boycotting was not illegal. I remember a few years ago a major boycott with a guy named Zumbo......... What other people do is on them. The original diver not only never made statements to "go after" this kid, all of his statements have been saying what some people have done is wrong and worse then what the kid did. He is not in anyway advocating what some have done and calling against it.

The pics do have everything to do with this because that is part of what greatly increased it. If the kid had "upstanding" pics on his site, or none then I bet most people would have said "hey look at the two divers fighting" and other then a few people directly related to the incident it would be over. Now because of the other things the kid willingly posted on his own PUBLIC site this thing has actually gone world wide and not just in the dive community. People from all over are asking "what is wrong with this kid" based on what he PUBLICLY posted.

Also if the kid had a job and lost it will depend on why. One diver calling for a boycott is surely not why this kid lost his job, things are never that simple. What if the kid was fired for what was in his FB page? That is not Bob's fault, he did not make the kid post the things he did.

This is not like yelling fire. Bob would have to call for direct action against this kid for it to be the same.

Here is a part of what was posted by Bob, Northwest Dive Club • View topic - Octopus hunters in Cove 2 ...

The guy is young ... maybe 20'ish. He was wearing a hoodie that said "Tahoma Lacross" on the front and "Mayer" on the back. I'm assuming that's his last name. He drives a red pickup truck. I'll post the pictures when I get them ... probably later tonight or tomorrow. If anyone can identify this guy, I think we all need to know who to watch out for.

The guy told me I was being an bubblegum. Yup ... I can be at times, and this is one of those times. I plan to do everything in my power to let him know just how much of an bubblegum I can be. And, if possible, to make it financially unwise for any dive shop in the area to fill this guy's tanks. Seems to me that the only power we have to stop this sort of activity is the power of public opinion ... it's time to use it.

I dont see him calling for any violent, threat, illegal, immoral actions to be taken. He wanted to know who the person was so he could he could boycott him from getting air fills or service at local shops. Trying to find out who someone is by legal means is not illegal. All the information gained on this kid was taken from PUBLIC sites and most of it right from stuff the kid posted himself.

I'm done arguing about a stupid octopus. In my opinion the poster and his buddy or buddies broke a section of the Washington RCW, specifically one that has been previously quoted in regards to being illegal under the RCW:

"(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof."

They photographed themselves doing the above and then further documented it in their posts causing additional damage to the hunter. By the look of Bob's recent posts he seems to understand the gravity of his actions hopefully this will be a lesson to people about leaving other people the hell alone.

Not directed towards you Nwcid, but having just read all comments from start to end regarding this issue from the other site there seems to be some serious back peddling going on from the OP and several others now that the legality and reality of the situation has come front and center. We all make personal decisions, and ALL of them have consequence, not all are good are they?

Not directed towards you Nwcid, but having just read all comments from start to end regarding this issue from the other site there seems to be some serious back peddling going on from the OP and several others now that the legality and reality of the situation has come front and center. We all make personal decisions, and ALL of them have consequence, not all are good are they?

Yes things took off like no one ever expected. What started out as a simple "I want to boycott this guy" has lead to alleged death threats by some extreme folks. Like anything else in life you have to look down the middle. The vast majority of the people that are upset treated that (and several other areas) as community "policed" "preserves" and many thought they were legally "preserves". People never thought an incident like this would happen because more people have more respect then that (even the active dive hunters). Now that people know there actually is a problem and that they are actually pushing to change the law.

This whole incident is not just because of one GPO, but it was the catalyst for something bigger. Of course like anything else in life there are people on ether extreme of the issue with most in the middle. Some dont care where they "catch" their "food" as long as it is legal the other side wants to ban it all. The majority, even people who would wish no GPO (or other animal) were harmed have the rational sense to know that is not right to restrict others rights to hunt. Again just like on land why did there have to be rules made not to hunt in game preserves or at places like the Elk feeding station in Yakima? Because if there is not a law against it you know there would be people hunting there.

Yes we all make choices and that all effect our lives. This whole thing could have turned out much different but actions in the beginning on both sides is what had led to where it is at. We have seen the public opinion. Sounds like there will be a legal opinion too.

Not directed towards you Nwcid,

This thread has really stayed on track in my opinion. It is a discussion with all sides stating their points. I have not felt like anything said was a personal attack nor have I made any that I am aware of (I don't do that intentionally). That is what a true discussion is, not everyone has to agree.

I have even seen some posters since strongly disagreeing with me on here agreeing with me in other posts. That is how it should work. Just because you do not agree with a person on an issues does not mean you have to "unlike" them in a place like this. :)

Just because you do not agree with a person on an issues does not mean you have to "unlike" them in a place like this. :)

Apparently disagreeing with someone is grounds to start a slander campaign through social and mainstream media.

Based on recent activity, the only outcome that looks likely from this fiasco is that a certain octopus hunter is about to own himself a nw diving related website.

This kids story sure changes a lot.

From the story linked above; "I'm not gonna go there again," Mayer said. "That was a misunderstanding. I didn't know people were gonna get that mad. I didn't think they'd get mad at all."

This did read different before someone (lawyer I am guessing) edited it a bit because it use to have his name, West Seattle Blog...

Accused diver: "For one, i didnt harvest this octo in the dive site. i swam many yards off and just used the dive site as a way in and out of the water. second i have my certs and tags, a game warden came by today to check and look at the remains of the octopus i harvested from yesterday and assured me i broke no law. last i would like to state my neighbor (one of the guys i hunt with) purchased a compressor. i have been filling free for the past week. last, this octo was not on eggs, i am outraged that things would be made up even if you dont like what i did. and because of all the drama you people are causing and i intend to harvest another this weekend. oh and btw i got bent from a faulty inflater. it would not stop filling so i shot to the surface. i would like to point out to anyone out there trying to incrimate me that i have never broken a dive or fishing law and i study the regs like a bible"

Here are a bunch more of his OWN words that contradict everything he is saying now, https://www.facebook.com/bubblesbelow If you read through the beginning you will see many of the responses from him. Again this kids OWN words and FB page are his own worst PR. No one even needs to make stuff up about him with what he has said and done on his own.

Someone decided they had to prove that they could be an A hole also, it went south for all closely involved apparently. My old man used to tell me when I was a kid over 50 years ago, Son, you can be an A hole without even trying. He was looking at me when he said it, and I think he meant it. But he also told me, if your going to try to be one, be the stinkiest one around, your guaranteed to get the most attention that way. He was right. A holes come in many different depths, colors and sizes and there never seems to be a shortage of them regardless of where you go. I endeavor not to be quite so stinky of late, but I fully understand how two hard heads can clash. What I found amazing is the vitriol with which the local community there attacked someone that they didn't know, and the vehemence of the attack, Death threats, over an Octopus? And now, intense media coverage, this wont end well. On AOL's front page with three days before an election, who would have thunk it?
What I read between the lines is someone 'Dive site OP' who has a relationship with others on a site, who used this as a podium and then got caught up in the knee jerk reactions of others that responded. It has escalated into something far larger now, and is out of the hands regrettably of both the OP, and the accused.

If this case was truly about "morals" and "ethics" the op wouldn't have went out of his way to punish this kid, he could have written the exact same post and left out the poor kids identity and gotten the exact same result he says he wants.

This is something that I was thinking but could not formulate into words to share, thank you.

As for redcaps post about candy-as$ lawsuits... I hate frivolous lawsuits as much as the next hard working tax payer citizen but I think there is clear and present evidence of harassment here. Hurt 'em in their wallets to make them think twice. I'd say $5-10K is appropriate. They blew this kids personal info out there and potentially endangered his life. There are college educated eco-nuts out there just as ready to kill you as a common mugger and rapist. All the kid has to do is file a statement that he fears for his life (death threats? hello?) with WSP and these guys are getting in trouble or at least investigated to some degree. There's a para-phrase quote on there (I read the whole 16 page thread last night so i forget which page) along the lines of "send me their info and I'll personally take care of them" ...disturbing. bunch of adults chimpin' out.

anyway I'm wandering a bit so my point is that they overstepped their civil bounds and may have opened themselves up to legal action. Then again I am not a laywer and simply speculating here... spitballin on a gun forum.

I suggest anybody who posted here goes and finishes reading page 17 as the thread was locked earlier...legal action is being taken against Bob and possibly others. That's welcome news here. In the great words of Sarah Palin "Sue Baby, Sue!"... or something like that.

Had this happened without the internet, it would have resulted in his being sued. I don't see that there is much for him to stand on. He said his piece on the beach and couldn't let it go at that. Not that the kid wasn't an arrogant bastage.

I have had the same issues before as well. People think that hunters are blood thirst people that enjoy killing anything and everything. In your case i would feel the same. This octopus thing, i feel that if your going to kill something, is should be for a reason. I dont know why you would kill a octopus, but if it is legal, he has every right to do so. The guy had no right to ask him not to do it. We all have to put up with things we don't like in this world... People should learn to understand that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top