JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Steyr auto pistols
Daewoo rifles and Triple Action auto pistols
Ishapore Enfield
Pre-CZ Dan Wesson Revolvers
Always wanted a Steyr
I have a Lionheart which is the incrementally improved Daewoo DP-51 pistol. A favorite of ours.
I would like any Enfield, but those made in India are special.

For me, it's always been the FN/FAL ( STG-58) and the Beretta BM-59 that get no love. I also like the FN-49, the K-31, and the Gewehr 43. Others would be the Veper 5.56, M98/48 Mountain Carbine, SMLE Jungle Carbine, Sturmgewehr 90, and lastly, my all time fave, the AR 180:):):)
The bm59 is such a fantastic rifle. Smooth recoil, useable bipod, gorgeous looks, mags are tanks and a bayonet rounds off the package. I regret selling that more then my jra m14. It Hated Malaysian surplus though. If anyone could afford a bm59... buy it. Buy once cry once on the mags get a sling and bayonet you wont regret it. The bm59 e model seems more rare man i wish i came across one of those.

MY "new" must have fascination is the Remington Mod 8! Haven't decided what flavor I want it in yet, but .30 Remington or .300 Savage look pretty good for what I would need!
Whats wrong with the good old 35?:D 0FA1D3BA-1D51-4AFB-9DFA-D2DA608E6858.jpeg 25141C72-3C05-4F0F-AEB6-DB1F254140C8.jpeg

No worries!
I did get that Kreiger Conversion Mod 81 Remmy, Kicks like a mule, but is a very nice shooter none the less, and it came with the .300 Savage barrel and bushings!
I couldn't find a .35 Rem, mostly .30 rem at the time! Good luck finding .30 rem ammo!:D:D:D

Newest Love ( Old Love in fact) Winchester 1895's I have Grand Dads full custom he did in .30/06 and a super slick one in .405! Would love to add a Browning or a later Winny in .458 win!

No worries!
I did get that Kreiger Conversion Mod 81 Remmy, Kicks like a mule, but is a very nice shooter none the less, and it came with the .300 Savage barrel and bushings!
I couldn't find a .35 Rem, mostly .30 rem at the time! Good luck finding .30 rem ammo!:D:D:D

Newest Love ( Old Love in fact) Winchester 1895's I have Grand Dads full custom he did in .30/06 and a super slick one in .405! Would love to add a Browning or a later Winny in .458 win!
Man an 1895 in 30-06 has been on my want list forever. They had two 1895's in 30 us at the local store in castle rock yesterday. I was drooling, that and a remington m1917 there as well. Awesome you inherited one

I think the traditional hunting calibers I grew up with are being overlooked.

Seems everyone wants the latest super duper magnum round with the highest ballistic coefficient number so they can shoot an elk at 1000yds.

LOL.

My brother has fallen prey to this thinking. He has over a dozen hunting rifles in all sorts of calibers. I believe his latest one is something in 6.5 PRC.

His last two giant bull elk were taken at less than 100yds. One at 70yds and one at 30'. He basically point shot the one at 30'...

I have three hunting rifles and really only need one.

I have a Ruger M77 All Weather Rifle in .30-06 and it can take down everything from coyotes to moose. I bought it in 1998.

My first hunting rifle is in .257 Roberts and I used it to shoot my first elk with 130gr Nosler Partitions back in 1984. Then antelope, and plenty of mule deer and whitetails.

The third is a custom-built Winchester Pre-'64 Model 70 in .35 Whelen. Basically a .30-06 casing necked up to .35 caliber bullets. Built for moose hunting in Canada. My dad gave it to me in 1998 when I wanted something bigger than the .257 Roberts for elk. When I found out what it was worth, I bought the Ruger and keep the Model 70 in the safe.

The Browning BLR

500016-5ca22417c883703db3055f7497c63e60.png
Many people don't even know that Browning makes a handsome slick lever action that shoots "pointed bullets", chambered in .223, .243, .270, .30-06, .308 and magnums, has a removable box mag, is accurate and a lot more, available as a lightweight takedown for around $1100 street price, other configurations for less and a little more.

This has to be my favorite rifle.

Walther PPQ. Far more comfortable than a Glock. Better trigger (out of the box). Similar price point. People seem to go with the more known glock/xd/m&p/ruger.

Another overlooked rifle in my area is any old bolt action .22LR rifle.
At shows and shops where I live , they just don't sell or are wanted in trade.
Which is a double edged sword , often you can get them at a less than listed price ... but they can be hard to find , 'cause not many folks want them on their shelves or show tables.
Again for the record I have nothing against a old .22 bolt action rifle... In fact I prefer those to any other type of .22 rifle.

It is just that where I live most folks seem to be interested in buying a 10/22 or a AR15 copy or other similar rifle copy in .22LR.
Nothing against those rifles or the folks that like 'em ... Just not my style.
Andy

I only owned one semi automatic rifle in MY entire life. The Made in CT Marlin Papoose take down rifle - black composite/stainless steel with the blue case. It was a sweet rifle but I did not LOVE it like my lever action rifles that I owned at the time. (Late 90's and on.) My late husband got a kick out of shooting my Papoose on and off. He liked to shoot my former Glock 9mm pistol and a few of my other guns too. (He only owned a few guns in his entire life and in only 2 calibers. He did not hunt. He owned more sail and power boats than guns in his life too! I do not hunt but sometimes I go on a hunt with my MT husband.)

I know that I have mentioned this before but here goes.

This is what I shoot now even though I shoot far LESS now @ 68 years old compared to my former, high volume shooting days.

CZ 455 LUX - 22lr bolt action rifle.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

I absolutely love this rifle! I love lever action rifles and have owned several of them in the past in RF and CF. (Old posts of mine here and elsewhere.)

I am NOT knocking other brands, calibers, actions, looks and/or styles of rifles that other people love to own and shoot. To each their own, whatever trips their trigger, and I believe that ALL gun folks Should Support other gun folks and Their Guns because if they are outlawed... sooner or later... they aka .gov will COME AFTER your type of Gun and Caliber!

I love the looks and history of many black powder rifles and handguns too.

Side note: My MT husband owns, target shoots and hunts with lever action rifles and a couple of bolt action rifles. It depends on the terrain and distance. He likes 30-30 and 45-70 in his lever action rifles AND his 30-06, .223 and 22lr bolt action rifles too. He used to own and shoot several OTHER calibers in these types of firearms long before I knew him and some after I knew him.

He owned a few sweet semi automatic rifles in the past too.

He liked (Still likes but does not own now.) several kinds of handguns in various calibers and you name it... he most likely has shot it or owned it in the past. Competed a LOT with them too. Semi automatic 'classic' pistols, d/a revolvers, s/a revolvers and he is down to his GLOCK pistols now.

He has shot much MORE in his life than I have, owned more guns in his life than I have and the first time that he shot a gun was when he was a little kid. His older brother or late Father took him out and showed him the basics. He started to hunt early too. He had Hunters Education.

If my MT husband had to choose between any type of RIFLE - he would choose a bolt action rifle in his 22lr, .223 and 30-06 calibers OVER his much loved lever action rifles too. We have talked about this on and off over the years before, during and after his BIG consolidation of calibers and downsizing in firearms.

And he still LOVES the '45' caliber. It may be old fashioned (45acp) to some people but he loves it! And he still loves his Glock pistols even though he owned some other beautiful, reliable and famous brands in the past. D/A and S/A revolvers and several semi automatic pistols in various calibers.

Some people laugh at the old 30-06 rifle caliber too. But he still loves his bolt action rifle and it is reliable.

One other thing, I think that as HE ages, he will still keep a bolt action rifle in 22lr and in .223 calibers even if he stops shooting a 30-06 rifle.

Good shooting to all of you no matter what you love to shoot!

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews