JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, since this thread popped back up, I'll play.
I bought the first new car I've ever purchased for myself the day after Thanksgiving. Subtle as a sledge hammer.
Happy camper I am.
Sledge Hammer.jpeg

I sense there's a pretty darned good story in there somewhere...
Alright... you asked for it.

Westbound on OR126 upper McKinsey river coming back from Sisters where I was teaching my 80yo uncle how to AR15 and Glock.
I was feeling a little puny to start the day, but evidently going over the pass triggered some massive pain spasms in my left lung that caused me to pull left and loose my focus for long enough to get pulled into the ditch. F5228EC8-B42A-40C4-BE77-A5C246F8E50B.jpeg
First driveway acted as a ramp and I completely cleared it... went back into the ditch hit and jumped a second driveway, then on the third , the angle of the incline caused me to hit a tree spin, flip take out a power box and land upside down on a big rock just a few hundred feet from the front door of the Upper McKinzey River Rural Fire Dept. I didn't see anything after the initial jump when the airbags went off... but It felt like I was in a giant cloths dryer for what seemed like forever..
800CD3F4-E0AF-4DB0-B815-C71EF06C60E5.jpeg

Within seconds there was a Dr and two nurses outside the car asking me Questions about my condition, I was hanging upside down, temp blinded in my left eye from the airbags(I think)and it took sometime to get myself focused... about the time I undid the seatbelt button and fell onto the roofo_O...Ford Sync emergency service called in and informed me I had been in an accident.
.. so there I am concussed confused, and half blind trying to talk to two different people and find my way out of my car... firemen banging and prying on all four doors trying to get me out...finally I found the door lock button hidden behind an airbag and a bunch of my junk...luckily the battery was still working and I was able to find the buttons and lay the front and passenger seats out of my way and get to the rear passenger side door, which was the only one still able to open...
They took me to a hospital in Eugene, where my very distraught wife and daughter soon joined me after the 3 hr drive from here in Kelso.
The Dr said I had a screwed up T4 vertebrae, and a bad concussion. Also my shoulder was tweaked from the seatbelt, and I had some cuts and crap... they gave me a shot of ketamine that made me feel like I was in an alternate reality where the color of sound smelled like Tuesday....
(Thanks for that experience doc)
Needless to say I was just along for the ride and didn't have the wherewithal to ask about the OG pain spasm that caused the crash..
And he somehow dr missed fluid building up around my lung (Very obvious in the MRI he took) or didn't feel like it was something he wanted worry about. He could have saved me a LOT of pain and hospital time with a little more diligence though.... but as soon as sound smelled normal and I could walk again...he sent me packing with a prescription for muscle relaxers and antibiotics.
I had to get my guns from OSP and had to wait till they opened in the AM, so we stayed in a hotel in Eugene that night to save another 6 hr trip...

best part of the story... I had several very Gucci pews, my ops core lid and nods, and some other cool gear in the car with me.
Oregon State Patrol were going Gaga over it all... when I went in the next day they had it all laid out across a big conference table and they were like kids in a toy store... all had huge smiles looking down the optics and testing triggers... I was bombarded with build advice, and info on how each one shot, etc... It was funny.
I had a thin blue line sticker on the Yakima rack so that may have helped.
They recovered most of my valuables from ground zero, but one of my cases that had all of my Silencerco Hybrid adapters broke open and scattered, and I lost my pistol booster, all the tools, thread reducers, end caps, and my 30cal anchor brake..and who knows what else... also lost some mags, ammo, medications, supplies from my emergency/get home car kit....
worst of all I lost my sanctuary
Crap... I just put 1500 worth new of tires on her less than a month prior.
I'm really gonna miss her! But I survived a very serious crash and walked to the ambulance.

I felt OK until I got home, and over the next two days that infection in my chest became critical. Fluid collapsed my left lung,pushed my heart into my right lung my O2 levels bottomed out.
I thought it was pain from tne seatbelt tweaking my bones and all that so I tuffed it out for a couple days in the worst pain I could ever imagine, finally I relented and called an ambulance... then spent the next 8 days in the hospital having and recovering from Major thoracic surgery to drain and scrape out all the crap around my lung.
still really sore on that left side, and my brain is still very foggy from the concussion at times...
Happy ending(so far)though!
I survived 2 very near death experiences in less than a week, and my wife is so greatfull I'm alive that she agreed that I deserved a new truck. Insisted even!
If I can survive that pain....the pain of scraping up the truck payment and eating top ramen for the next couple years should be a cake walk:D

Last Edited:

Westbound on OR126 upper McKinsey river coming back from Sisters where I was teaching my 80yo uncle how to AR15 and Glock.
I was feeling a little puny to start the day, but evidently going over the pass triggered some massive pain spasms in my left lung that caused me to pull left and loose my focus for long enough to get pulled into the ditch.View attachment 787679
First driveway acted as a ramp and I completely cleared it... went back into the ditch hit and jumped a second driveway, then on the third , the angle of the incline caused me to hit a tree spin, flip take out a power box and land upside down on a big rock just a few hundred feet from the front door of the Upper McKinzey River Rural Fire Dept. I didn't see anything after the initiative jump when the airbags went off... but It felt like I was in a giant cloths dryer for what seemed like forever..
View attachment 787681

Within seconds there was a Dr and two nurses outside the car asking me Questions about my condition, I was hanging upside down, temp blinded in my left eye from the airbags(I think)and it took sometime to get myself focused... about the time I undid the seatbelt button and fell onto the roofo_O...Ford Sync emergency service called in and informed me I had been in an accident.
.. so there I am concussed confused, and half blind trying to talk to two different people and find my way out of my car... firemen banging and prying on all four doors trying to get me out...finally I found the door lock button hidden behind an airbag and a bunch of my junk...luckily 5he battery was still working and I was able to find the buttons and lay the front and passenger seats out of my way and get to the rear passenger side door, which was the only one still able to open...
They took me to a hospital in Eugene, where my very distraught wife and daughter soon joined me after the 3 hr drive from here in Kelso.
The Dr said I had a screwed up T4 vertebrae, and a bad concussion. Also my shoulder was tweaked from the seatbelt, and I had some cuts and crap... but they gave me a shot of ketamine that made me feel like I was in an alternate reality where the color of sound smelled like Tuesday....
Needless to say I was just along for the ride and didn't have the wherewithal to ask about the OG pain spasm that caused the crash..
And he somehow dr missed fluid building up around my lung (Very obvious in the MRI he took) or didn't feel like it was something he wanted worry about. He could have saved me a LOT of pain and hospital time with a little more diligence though.... but as soon as sound smelled normal and I could walk again...he sent me packing with a prescription for muscle relaxers and antibiotics.
I had to get my guns from OSP and had to wait till they opened in the AM, so we stayed in a hotel in Eugene that night to save another 6 hr trip...

best part of the story... I had several very Gucci pews, my ops core lid and nods, and some other cool gear in the car with me.
Oregon State Patrol were going Gaga over it all... when I went in the next day they had it all laid out across a big conference table and they were like kids in a toy store... all had huge smiles looking down the optics and testing triggers... I was bombarded with build advice, and info on how each one shot, etc... It was funny.
They recovered most of my valuables from ground zero, but one of my cases that had all of my Supressor adapters broke open and scattered, and I lost my pistol booster, all the tools, thread reducers, end caps, and my 30cal anchor brake..and who knows what else... also lost some mags, ammo, medications, supplies from my emergency/get home car kit....
I'm really miss her! But I survived a very serious crash and walked to the ambulance.

I felt OK until I got home, and over the next two days that infection in my chest became critical. Fluid collapsed my left lung,pushed my heart into my right lung my O2 levels bottomed out.
I thought it was pain from tne seatbelt tweaking my bones and all that so I tuffed it out for a couple days in the worst pain I could ever imagine, finally I relented and called an ambulance... then spent the next 8 days in the hospital having and recovering from Major thoracic surgery to drain and scrape out all the crap around my lung.
still really sore on that left side, and my brain is still very foggy from the concussion at times...
I survived 2 very near death experiences in less than a week, and my wife is so greatfull I'm alive that she agreed that I deserved a new truck. Insisted even!
If I can survive that pain....the pain of scraping up the truck payment and eating top ramen for the next couple years should be a cake walk:D
Holy Crap!
Next time we meet, I'ma buy you some beers!

I was feeling a little puny to start the day, but evidently going over the pass triggered some massive pain spasms in my left lung that caused me to pull left and loose my focus for long enough to get pulled into the ditch.View attachment 787679
First driveway acted as a ramp and I completely cleared it... went back into the ditch hit and jumped a second driveway, then on the third , the angle of the incline caused me to hit a tree spin, flip take out a power box and land upside down on a big rock just a few hundred feet from the front door of the Upper McKinzey River Rural Fire Dept. I didn't see anything after the initiative jump when the airbags went off... but It felt like I was in a giant cloths dryer for what seemed like forever..
View attachment 787681

.. so there I am concussed confused, and half blind trying to talk to two different people and find my way out of my car... firemen banging and prying on all four doors trying to get me out...finally I found the door lock button hidden behind an airbag and a bunch of my junk...luckily the battery was still working and I was able to find the buttons and lay the front and passenger seats out of my way and get to the rear passenger side door, which was the only one still able to open...
The Dr said I had a screwed up T4 vertebrae, and a bad concussion. Also my shoulder was tweaked from the seatbelt, and I had some cuts and crap... they gave me a shot of ketamine that made me feel like I was in an alternate reality where the color of sound smelled like Tuesday....

They recovered most of my valuables from ground zero, but one of my cases that had all of my Supressor adapters broke open and scattered, and I lost my pistol booster, all the tools, thread reducers, end caps, and my 30cal anchor brake..and who knows what else... also lost some mags, ammo, medications, supplies from my emergency/get home car kit....
I'm really gonna miss her! But I survived a very serious crash and walked to the ambulance.

Wow, that's a helluva tale that you'll be able to tell for years to come! Thanks for starting with us!
Godspeed on your recovery! And if we ever meet, ALL the beers are on me!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top