JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have only been carrying again regularly since February. Today I had a pallet full of parts to run up to a contractor I do quite a bit of work for. He gives me an address, tells me its at Terminal 91 in Seattle. I dont think much of it but as I am driving up there is a guard shack and a sign that says "Military base" or something to that effect. There is an armory located there and I suppose all of it is federally owned property (its the Port of Seattle)

I freaked out a bit, and to be better safe than sorry I made him drive his truck out to the parking lot outside the guard shack and off loaded all 900 pounds of brackets by hand into his truck. He was not to happy with me but I didn't have anyplace I could put my pistol and the last thing I want to do is risk getting caught. I suspect they take such things very serious and even though I know there is a 99.99% chance I could get in and out with it and no problems that .01% is to much risk. (I value my freedom and my rights, I know many are cavalier about such things but when it comes to firearms and the law I toe the line)

So what would you have done? What other options are there? I know most of the time you know exactly where you will have problems but like this there has to be odd times where you just seem to be stuck.

Just know where and never go to em !
Never no way, forget it, they can come to me if that kind of
thing is ever needed.
The world won't come to an end. :)

I have been caught like that before. I unloaded and locked it in the truck box. I would have rather not gone in at all as you did but that is not an option. I walked into the courthouse in downtown Portland to visit a lawyer friend and forgot I had my multi tool on my belt. I always forget as that is always there. They acted like I was nuts and said I could throw it away or leave and come back without it. The way they behaved about just that tool I would not chance a gun anywhere especially somewhere like a military base.

I also value my freedom way to much to risk it even though as you said it is not likely to get caught....except when you walk right through a metal detector like and idiot as I did.

Made the trip to Iraq as a contractor and no guns allowed so I bought the best knife I could find and lived without a gun. Government denies you guns where you are most apt to need one, people are easily replaceble so who cares if you get killed:D.

I couldn't enter the BPA building with my benchmade in my pocket but I could bring it in if it was 8" away in my tool bag.

Usually I just carry anyway. It's concealed so know one knows. Went to the VA hospitable in Rosburg this last weekend and I have never seen so many signs warning you of carrying any kind of weapon! Why should anyone have to go unarmed?..... Obviously, not a court house or anything similar.

Th
Take the mag out and leave it with the guard.
That's some bad advice. They would refuse you entrance as that breaks regulations pertaining to firearms on base.
Personally I think the OP did just fine. It would have been illegal to carry there and he did not know until the moment he arrived.
OP you did just fine.

CC is a state of mind so to speak. The more you carry the more you think about these things. Events like you just had helps your brain muscle reaction just like draw practice. Eventually, you will run through enough scenarios and you will be more comfortable. I agree with decklin, for the first sticky, you made the right choice. I've taken to carrying a zip lock baggy in my vehicles. Nobody mows around telephones.
More than once I've zipped up my concealed and left it in the tall grass and weeds at the base of a out of the way power pole in an industrial area for a few hours.

Usually I just carry anyway. It's concealed so know one knows. Went to the VA hospitable in Rosburg this last weekend and I have never seen so many signs warning you of carrying any kind of weapon! Why should anyone have to go unarmed?..... Obviously, not a court house or anything similar.

One of the cooks at the Portland VA open carries. No One says anything... Puzzling.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top